Giulio Bevilacqua

MULTIPOTENTIALITE is possible or time wasting ?

9 posts in this topic

Hi, i realized that i have a lot of interests. 

I know i have a lot of potentialities  at the same level in many fields . This creates much confusion ! 

I discrovered this term " MULTIPONTENTIALITE" in a TED Talk, it was very reassuring. My interests goes from Antropology , Pscyhology , Plants . I'm also a drummer in a semi professional band . I like everything . I would like to find the method to create a daily routine where you can work on each field. 

But i have some doubts . Do you think it is a wate of time ? Or could it be a good life style and possibile to gather all fields ? 

Osho gives a very cool education system that i share a lot. 

I think that every one should have different section in his life . One expressive (art,music ...) Knowledge ( History, Science...) Body ( Yoga, Tai Chi ..) Spirituality( Meditation, Enlightenment) .

Thank you ! 

oshos-five-dimensions.jpg

I agree you need to cover each aspect of your life. Don't neglect body, or mind, or relationships, etc.

However when it comes to life purpose work, better to be a little more focused. If that means combining 2 or 3 different interests. Great, something new!

Antropology , Pscyhology , Plants - there seems to be a strong correlation between these no? I can see this being a powerful combination of interests that can get quite specific. You could for example be the leading researcher on how plant medicine affected the evolution of societies through selfunderstanding. You know something like that (example only).

Nothing is stopping you from having your main focus, and also having hobbies. Like being a drummer, or doing a martial art, or playing a sport, or whatever.

I watched this TED too. They call it a Renaissance soul.

There are some guys who do multiple stuff like that guy from Infinite Waters, Ralph Smart. He's a Psychologist, Author, Counselor, Life Coach, Relationship Guide and Alchemist.

That's the paradox of life purpose. Some people say you need to focus on just one thing (the vast majority though) and some people think you can do whatever you want, even being a Jack of all trades.

Leonardo Da Vinci may be called a multipotentialite too.

It probably best to stick with one thing and then get really good at it for example Albert Einstein didn't became Albert Einstein by doing Art, Music(actually he played the violin as well but i doubt he did more than that) and so on but he pretty much stuck to one field and then become pretty much the best at it. There is a book that is called so good they can't ignore you by cal newport that talks about this idea of getting really good at one thing.

It's hard to get exceptional good at a lot of things and it is pretty much required to be exceptional if you want the best rewards in your career. 

Edited by BjarkeT

@BjarkeT, this mindset may kill the creative process. Having interest for different areas is important for innovation.

One example is motion-graphics, which is a mix of two different areas like animation and graphic design.

Art therapy is a mix of art and Psychology. If the person doesn't let herself get in touch with different areas and learn new things, she can't be innovative and solve world problems. I love the idea of being a master, but being a master of yourself is more important than being a master of something external.

@brugluiz It doesn't have to kill the creative process it can actually make it better because you get so good. Franz liszt was really creative and good because he got exceptional good at one thing. Same with Albert Einstein. I don't think it kills the creative process at all(because you get more creative the better you get). I am also pretty sure Nikola tesla stuck to getting exceptional good at one thing which was to create innovations.  Also mozart was exceptional because he pretty much stuck to one thing. Same with bach And John williams. There is this 10000 hour rule that it take that much to be a master. You can't spend 10000 hours on a lot of different things. 

Actually innovations comes when you are at the edge of a field not from being on multiple fields that idea comes from so good they can't ignore you by cal newport.

http://calnewport.com/blog/2014/02/02/the-empty-sky-paradox-why-are-stars-in-your-professional-field-so-rare/

Edited by BjarkeT

My approach to work is Slash Career Approach, which involves having two or more jobs or businesses that you shift between.

It’s the classic author/columnist/podcaster/comedian career approach you see so much on social media right now.

Slashers are typically freelancers, but they can also be business owners slash freelancers.

It doesn’t matter whether your various projects are related or totally different, what matters is that you get your income from multiple revenue streams.

The Slash Approach is a great way to diversify your income (if one income dries up, you have another one to fall back on).

???? ???? ? ???????? ???? ??????? ???? ???? ?? ???? ? ????? ?? ??????? ????????? ?????? ?? ???? ? ??? ????? ???? ? ??????? ?????????? ?????? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??????? ?? ???????? ????? ??? ? ????????.

You can read more about it here - https://slashercareer.com/multipotentialite/