VictorB02

What I realized by showing unconditional love to a stranger

17 posts in this topic

I wanted to make this thread to spread some more love/positivity into the forum as I believe that threads like this can be very beneficial and practical.

The other day I was in the gas station getting a drink, when I noticed an older man (probably in his mid 70's) with two walking canes and a "U.S. Marines Veteran" hat on. When he was headed to the door to leave, I noticed that no on else was going to help him open it. My resistance to help strangers is high, as I am a very introverted person, but the spiritual side of my conscience got the best of my thoughts and so I was like "F it, I'm just gonna do it, no big deal." and I went and said "Sir, let me get that for you." As soon as I said that, his two gleaming eyes (older people just have those eyes you know?) slowly looked up at me and seemed to completely reflect my love back. What followed was one of the most fulfilling and happy feelings I have ever felt.

It was at this exact moment that I realized "Holy sh*t. This is where I can find true happiness. This is what spirituality is really all about: Love, LOVE, LOVE!" It's all about love. That is the point. Love is literally the point. It is everything, and if you consciously act with love, it will always reflect back to you.

It blew my mind how such a small gesture could completely change how I felt about myself and the world.

After I opened the door for him and he walked through, I said "have a great day" and went on my way.

Edited by VictorB02
Changed title

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

Love it, I'll reflect on this. Would you say this is unconditional love or service type of love? Or both 

That's nice :) but I would label this as volunteering or selfless activity rather then love :)

Anyways. Beautiful :)

29 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

@Salvijus Selfless activity is a form of love, no?

Maybe. But why would you call helping others as love. Love is just a consiquence of offering yourself, a consiquence of taking responsiblity for others, a consiquence of including someone as a part of yourself. Love is not something that you generate it's something that you receive when you drop yourself. And volunteering/selfless activity is extremely effective and simple way to do that.

First you offer yourself then love comes. It doesn't work the other way around. You can't be loving and be selfish. That's impossible. If you're loving you have to be selfless.. so being selfless is the mayjor thing, love is just a consiquence of that.

Edited by Salvijus

Excellent. Do what you need to do to tap into infinite love.

Not sure why there's other folks on here trying to piss on your parade with concepts and abstractions and reasons for why what you experienced wasn't unconditional love.

All that doesn't matter. You experienced what you experienced. If you can have that on a regular basis, it can go a long way to helping you expand your consciousness.

Edited by eleveneleven

@eleveneleven They have yet to evolve to understand what love really is ;) Its all love, there is only love. Its the core frequency of existence itself is love. Unconditional Infinite love. So unconditional that even suffering/illusions are allowed and accepted as a part of the whole.

Its not something that can be mentally grasped. The true understanding of love is a one of one direct experience with the divine nature of reality.

B R E A T H E

@Shiva I don't know what I would've done, probably wouldn't have been too happy :D

@d0ornokey It really depends how you look at it. Because really everything is love. The universe = love. I would say both though.

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

That’s what practicing No Ego feels like.  It’s not all about you anymore.  You’re expanding your concern ourside of your own interests.  Maybe you see yourself in that old man.  One day that will be you.  Sooner than most people realize too.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Its the little things that counts; like helping someone's carry their pram upstairs, or keeping the door open for the next person, saying hello, or offering someone water on a hot day. None of this stuff is heavily expensive or takes a long time to do. But it is this, that keeps a society worth living in.

@Joseph Maynor Yes! Its not something I usually do but it was something I will now do again when I get the chance

@Wyze Yes! The little things :)

@pluto8 thank you!

@Mu_ Thank you!

Ahhhh, that is what it's all about, and I love that it happened to you. Those are pivotal moments in life. Beautiful, brother.  :)

I always imagine this song to be about the path to awakening, and how human compassion and love can facilitate it.  "We're all homeless boys and girls" but love is the light of the world that can bring us all home. 

@PsiloPutty Thank you!

And that music is great! I agree