Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OrpheusNovum

My Hero's journey

2 posts in this topic

I've always been a very inquisitive person. Asking "what if" has become somewhat of an art form for me, an easy segway into metaphor. One of the things that infinitely fascinates me that seems to go unnoticed by the masses is the Teleology of language. Take for example, the term "Homo Sapiens", latin for "Wise Man". I would posit that given the nature of evolution (especially as it pertains to enlightenment), it is inevitable that at some point, we should outgrow this definition. But how? Will subjectivity itself begin to dissolve, revealing clearly and evidently beyond any doubt the metaphysical structure of existence, rendering biology inadequate as a field of research? Or will we simply see the need to change definitions and adhere to our understandings as they evolve with us? 

I'm always excited by the radical implications of Clarke's Third Law - any sufficiently developed technology is indistinguishable from magic. Or perhaps you could say that any sufficiently grounded magic can manifest through science, which is the position I take. My reasoning is simple - for any idea to become a manifest scientific truth, it must first exist within concept, which is innately magical and unbound. If you threw a smartphone back to 1500, it would look pretty goddamn magical, because there would be systems predicating its existence that will not have had existed "yet".

I wonder if, and to some extent presume that space-time itself - beginnings, ends, timelines - are all wrong interpretations bound by gnostic sensory experiences. Time only moves linear to the extent we perceive it to, and I imagine that there are likely many timelines that run through our reality, with different expressions of what reality is down to the minutia of its basest functions.

Edited by OrpheusNovum

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all."

-Aristotle 

@OrpheusNovum ‘Different realities’ is only a thought in your mind. It has no substance to it in reality.

The past and future only exist as thoughts in your mind. There is no substance to them in reality.

Even the present moment only exists as thoughts. This is something that I heard from spiritual teachers, but I have yet to experience that insight.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie