Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ampresus

What to do when there is a song stuck in my head during meditating?

22 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. This is by far one of the biggest games my mind plays with me. Whenever I am meditating and make my head free of activity, all hidden layers of thought start to arise. It gets room and therefore fills it in with whatever it contains of.

For example: A musical thought layer comes up and plays 3 songs at the same time. Now don’t get me wrong, when I just observe the thoughts they go away. But after a few second it keeps coming back. This can go on for the entire sessions (which is currently 30 min each day). Any advice?

Take care.

You could over write it by repeating a mantra silently or out loud till it subsides. Just a thought.

Stop listening so much music or stop thinking meditation is anything else than being aware of being aware.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Just observing the sound of the music in your head would be a totally good meditation

Listen to it! Dont resist! Be curious how there can be sound without any sound. :P

Dont look at me! Look inside!

6 hours ago, Shin said:

stop thinking meditation is anything else than being aware of being aware.

@Shin who said that this is what I think meditation is? How did you come to this conclusion?

Just now, Ampresus said:

@Shin who said that this is what I think meditation is? How did you come to this conclusion?

You want to remove the song in your head ...

Why ?

God is love

And God in them

The truth is you cant do anything, if we could stop the mind from doing what it does then the loony bins would be empty. xD

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Shin The sooner or later I see myself completely identify with it. The vibration of the song, the lyrics, everything. Before I know it, I am stuck in the song. Getting out of it seems impossible. I don't see it as all funny and games anymore, I sometimes feel lost then. I don't feel myself, my body, anything. I feel like I am falling in an endless void surrounded by music.

With simple thoughts it is different. Lets say that I had an argument with someone and it is stuck in my head. To a certain degree I can be the ''watcher'' and all of the sudden the thought dissapears! It can't sustain itself. Literally, it can't. It gets powerless and ceases the moment I shine with light on it. Songs don't work that way. After having shone the light, it reappears. In an endless loop it keeps coming back.

So you're basically saying that you don't want to train your awareness on something that you aren't comfortable of yet ?

If you want to get deeper, you don't have a choice.

The things that makes you the most inconscious is precisely what you need to work on.

God is love

And God in them

@Ampresus Concentration!

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

1 hour ago, Shin said:

So you're basically saying that you don't want to train your awareness on something that you aren't comfortable of yet ?

@Shin Haha no that is you making a simple conclusion out of a post of mine. I want to train my awareness. I just don't know if this is a seperate problem by itself. Music being stuck in my head is something far stronger than a regular thought. Many people have music stuck in their head during their day. I was just wondering how one can meditate with this.

Keep being aware of it. If you get lost in it, fine. Notice that you're lost and return to being aware of it. That is all.

Listen to it? Decode the meaning? Integrate/Apply. Move on.

B R E A T H E

@Ampresus I do dance meditations on occasion. I've reached some deep conscious states while free-form dancing. It can be like yoga. 

If it is bothersome, you could try to relax and let it go. Yet, that's the type of thing I'd be tempted to flip the script, fully immerse myself into and explore. My mind likes bizarre stuff O.o