lostmedstudent

How to make a decision ... I’m so TORN

9 posts in this topic

Hi all

recently I’ve been struggling with a decision that I have to make. It’s not that life changing but I’ve never been this undecisive in my life. I’ve been back and forth between yes and no and I’m basically running out of time and I still hasn’t figured out what I really want.

the more I think, the more confusing I get. But the way I try to make the decision hasn’t been very thorough. It’s more mind chattering than really objective evaluations. So I am wondering, what should I do? Should I sit down and take one full day to ponder it and see the pros and cons and just make the decision or should I just go with my gut feeling and do it and be over with ?

like I said, it’s not a life or death situation. It’s about a school / career task. But I would love some tips that hlped you guys when you hav  to make big decisions in your lives. 

What are the important factors in the decision making so that I  don’t make a decision I will regret or an impulsive one?

thank you so much!!!!!

@lostmedstudent

You've probably thought about it already too much. Flip a coin and move on. Yes it's unknown and scary, but you have to do it anyway.

What is indecision and anxiety born of? You may be shocked to find the answer! What you're experiencing right now, yet not fully aware of or trusting of, is actually your intuition on the correct answer. Yes, you already know exactly what you should be doing. This intuition is so deep and powerful that you can't rationalize it, and what's happening is that you're in this constant loop of negative feedback (mental chatter, noise) of trying to appeal to rationality to make the right choice. You were programmed with this neural pathway, so please don't hate yourself. I think we've all been there! What you should find out is that you can rationalize both choices equally convincingly, and if you study this honestly, you'll further find that your rationality is emotionally driven. So the "correct choice" will shift entirely based on your current mood and egoic desires.

So ask yourself, what is the best path for me for my future wellbeing and fulfilment? Think long term, think your vision statement. Drop all your inhibitions and fears, and listen to yourself. The correct path will present itself crystal clear in that moment, and when it does, write it down in detail and stick with it.

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

@lostmedstudent i've been where you are. it's scary because we think that it's a lifetime commitment, but it's really not that big.

just pick something and try it out. see how it feels. you'll know when it feel right. you can't know before you feel it.

i chose electric engineer and studied it for 2 years. then i quit and started studying computer science. i've just finished my master's and i've been working as a data scientist. how the hell could i know it before actually experimenting how it feels to program and think about mathematics in terms of programming? it was impossible!

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

@aurum hahahhahah thats right !! ive made up my mind a few months ago already!! but since i havent been taken action for the past few months, im trying to reason myself out of it . might not be a bad idea :P

@TheAvatarState thank you so so much man!!! i will ask myself that questions

cheers!

22 hours ago, TheAvatarState said:

What is indecision and anxiety born of? You may be shocked to find the answer! What you're experiencing right now, yet not fully aware of or trusting of, is actually your intuition on the correct answer. Yes, you already know exactly what you should be doing. This intuition is so deep and powerful that you can't rationalize it, and what's happening is that you're in this constant loop of negative feedback (mental chatter, noise) of trying to appeal to rationality to make the right choice. You were programmed with this neural pathway, so please don't hate yourself. I think we've all been there! What you should find out is that you can rationalize both choices equally convincingly, and if you study this honestly, you'll further find that your rationality is emotionally driven. So the "correct choice" will shift entirely based on your current mood and egoic desires.

So ask yourself, what is the best path for me for my future wellbeing and fulfilment? Think long term, think your vision statement. Drop all your inhibitions and fears, and listen to yourself. The correct path will present itself crystal clear in that moment, and when it does, write it down in detail and stick with it.

5 hours ago, lostmedstudent said:

might not be a bad idea :P

Yeah I was only sort of kidding. I actually think you should do it.