Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChimpBrain

Since we're on the topic of Cults (Escaping NXIVM)

8 posts in this topic

Since we're on the topic of cults right now I thought I'd mention this podcast series I listened to recently about one woman's indoctrination into, participation in, and escape from the cult NXIVM (Nexium). This is the cult that Allison Mack (actress from Smallville) was/is in and is now being prosecuted for sex trafficking and forced labor. It fits very nicely with Leo's latest video. I really enjoyed it. Maybe you will too.

Original NYT article that broke the whole thing open

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/magazine/sex-cult-empowerment-nxivm-keith-raniere.html

Actual podcast link. Its season 1. You can also obviously get it anywhere you normally listen to podcasts, Itunes, Stitcher, etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcasts/current-affairs-information/uncover/

I have giggled when I read that one of the cult leader's favorite authors was Ayn Rand. Her work is like an antithesis of true spirituality.

4 hours ago, Girzo said:

I have giggled when I read that one of the cult leader's favorite authors was Ayn Rand. Her work is like an antithesis of true spirituality.

I've never read any of it, I just know she's very popular amongst Libertarians.

Westboro Baptist Church is good research into cults. Ex members have talked about it.

1 hour ago, Shadowraix said:

Westboro Baptist Church is good research into cults. Ex members have talked about it.

Yeah I listened to Megan Phelps Roper on both Joe Rogan and Sam Harris's shows. Her situation is a little different in that she was literally born into it though.

I'm curious; what do you think Allison Mack was thinking when she got into it, and the fact that she "thrived" as well.

I've watched a few of her interviews; she appears "friendly", but everything about her is a lie.

also, anyone think the MBTI community can turn into a cult?

On 1/9/2019 at 2:00 AM, Wyze said:

also, anyone think the MBTI community can turn into a cult?

only if they hold you hostage and torture you to never leave :/