Jcent

How To Pimp Out OneNote For 2019

7 posts in this topic

Here are three things I started doing that made OneNote ridiculously powerful.

1. Install the OneNote web clipper immediately. This is great for screenshotting powerful forum posts, downloading PDF's, articles, etc.. I send them all to the same location for convenience.
  2. Consider purchasing a digital pen or stylus to draw directly into OneNote. If you're a visual person, terrified of drawing with the mouse, and like to have everything in one place, then this is for you. I got a really solid one on Amazon for $60 bucks. It's been amazing so far.
  3. Start recording your audio logs right into OneNote, particularly on your smartphone when away from your desktop. Ditch the built in recording apps. I save these to the same section as well. 

OneNote, at this point, is becoming almost-too-powerful. You might start to feel like a mini-god hoarding all of this juicy information. Remember not to take things too far. It can easily become an obsession. Don't turn into a cataloguing slave. 

Note: All of this stuff is way easier with OneNote 2016. Get over your fear of cloud-based storage. Come to the dark side, it's more powerful here. ;)

What do you use audio logs for? Also do you transcribe them?

@universe I make music, so I will sometimes sing melodies into my iPhone. Other than that, I'm frequently hit with ideas and concepts that I find useful. But the problem is I'm usually driving. I don't transcribe them, although I think there is a feature for that built into OneNote. 

@Rinne OneNote 2016 is free. It syncs between all of your devices. Here: https://www.onenote.com/download

Does anyone have any other tips or tricks?

@Sahil Pandit It's cloud based. Risky business but more power. Actually on windows I believe you can back up all your files. But it's not available on Mac yet. The way I see it, I have documents that are just chillin on google drive from almost 10 years ago. I don't think they're going anywhere.