Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LiakosN

Self inquiry in action

12 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if it is also useful to use self inquiry in everyday life. For example I am standing in the bus stop and ask: what is this anger I am experiencing etc. 

Is it useful? 

You've slept a hundred nights, And what has it brought you? For your self, for your God, Wake up! Wake up! Sleep no more.

Anger is not real. Your emotions are not real. The bus stop isn't real. All your emotions are not real. You choose to feel happy, sad, angry. When you feel these emotions, you are not you. You are your ego, which is not you. Your true self would have no thoughts. Your true self if happy feeling nothing. You have to try and find the nothing. 

rupert spira said something that I like, he said to become interested in what the anger arises in

@LiakosN Yes. If you only inquire during 'special' or 'ritualistic' periods, when 99% of your time is spent not on those moments, how are you going to get a realistic picture of what is happening 99% of the time?

@Jack River

Well, if I am completely angry then I do not know that I am anger.

2 hours ago, Paul92 said:

Anger is not real. Your emotions are not real. The bus stop isn't real. All your emotions are not real. You choose to feel happy, sad, angry. When you feel these emotions, you are not you. You are your ego, which is not you. Your true self would have no thoughts. Your true self if happy feeling nothing. You have to try and find the nothing. 

Is it true in your own experience or are these only beliefs in your mind ?

2 hours ago, Telepresent said:

@LiakosN Yes. If you only inquire during 'special' or 'ritualistic' periods, when 99% of your time is spent not on those moments, how are you going to get a realistic picture of what is happening 99% of the time?

Yes, I was thinking about the same. Maybe these "special" periods are helpful to remind us that we should do these stuff throughout the whole day. 

Edited by LiakosN

You've slept a hundred nights, And what has it brought you? For your self, for your God, Wake up! Wake up! Sleep no more.

17 minutes ago, LiakosN said:

Well, if I am completely angry then I do not know that I am anger.

If we see that we are anger is there a problem? 

@Jack River If I can witness the anger, the thoughts and the sensations in the body without any judgement and without making it personal, then no there is not a problem. But it is not so easy.

Edited by LiakosN

14 minutes ago, LiakosN said:

@Jack River If I can witness the anger, the thoughts and the sensations in the body without any judgement and without making it personal, then no there is not a problem. But it is not so easy.

Then we don’t see that the witness is the thought/emotion (anger). 

Seems we then understand intellectually/conceptually (see it through a fragmented lens). Then we try and hypnotize ourselves by practice/habitual questioning. 

See what i mean? 

The understanding has its root in knowledge/experience-memory(fragments). 

Not insight, which is whole, and it’s own psychological non-action(action). 

Edited by Jack River

@LiakosN Hi. Yes it certainly helped me. I try to integrate it as much as possible.

If you’re wondering then why not give it a try for two weeks say and see what happens? I can almost guarantee your awareness will improve as a result.

4 hours ago, LiakosN said:

I was just wondering if it is also useful to use self inquiry in everyday life. For example I am standing in the bus stop and ask: what is this anger I am experiencing etc. 

Is it useful? 

@LiakosN that's contemplation, not self enquiry.