DayProv

Why Being Always Positive Can Be Actually Devastating For You

10 posts in this topic

I see your point , but positive thinking has more to do with not letting negative emotions to take over you, not about not looking at things that might go wrong, about how you perceive something negative that happens in your life and not let despair etc take over you.

You clearly should be taking negative outcomes as option, I hope people understand that! 

@purerogue  I totally agree with you. I wrote this post because I see that many people I know think that all it takes is to just be positive and everything will be okay. Which, simply isn´t true. 

Being positive is a good thing. I would distinguish it however from being Optimistic, as both Optimates in Ancient Rome, and optimistic people in Cambodia, Germany, France etc were generally killed/butchered en masse.

@RichardY I agree that being optimistic is a good thing.I am all for being positive. But my article was about understanding when to be optimistic, and when you should let a little negativity in you.

@DayProv You miss understand me, optimistic; meaning the optimal, the best. Is different from being positive. You can be positive, and still utterly suck/perform-poorly at something.

As I said Optimistic people generally haven't fared too well. Was thinking about how best to structure my being, given that Optimates were murdered at the end of the Roman Republic, and vast numbers of people murdered by genocidal regimes throughout the world. Being optimistic or indeed pessimistic does not seem a good way of going about things. I kind of prefer what the term "The Whigs" meant in the UK; "Cattle Herder".  

23 hours ago, RichardY said:

@DayProv You miss understand me, optimistic; meaning the optimal, the best. Is different from being positive. You can be positive, and still utterly suck/perform-poorly at something.

As I said Optimistic people generally haven't fared too well. Was thinking about how best to structure my being, given that Optimates were murdered at the end of the Roman Republic, and vast numbers of people murdered by genocidal regimes throughout the world. Being optimistic or indeed pessimistic does not seem a good way of going about things. I kind of prefer what the term "The Whigs" meant in the UK; "Cattle Herder".  

Yeah, I am sorry I misunderstood. This looks like a good framework. 

17 hours ago, Brenzo2 said:

Hey, as I wrote on my article, I think being positive is to hope that any problem will be solved, hoping that something goes well, be nice to people and bring them joy, and so on and so on.

But I am against a mindset, where all it takes is to be positive, hope and stop anticipating, stop predicting and everything goes smoothly. I think this is very dangerous thinking, because when you stop anticipating you are simply not prepared when anything goes wrong.

Edited by DayProv

The notion I get from someone who is "always positive" is a person who has completely lost touch with reality. I mean what does it even mean to be always positive? Is it standing at your parents grave with a smile on your face, trying to get something good out of the death of a loved one? What about a doctor who has to tell a mother that her son didnt make it? Negative emotions are part of life in my opinion and resisting them is the wrong way. I cant speak for enlightened people though since I have no clue what this would mean for someone like that. I am talking about 99,99% of the people with such attitude, who try to hide behind this fassade because of some dragon lurking in the depths. Of course, this is not everyone - there are a lot of people who are just very positive without any hidden demons - but it comes from somewhere else. 

The same goes for always neagtive people of course. 

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

I think humans are, by nature, both positive and negative. Having only ups with no lows is a fantasy.

Accepting that however can make the lows a quite beautiful thing.

I am myself, heaven and hell.