Tistepiste

Overcoming regret and bitterness

8 posts in this topic

How do you overcome regret and bitterness?

I went in Erasmus 4 years ago, and things happened that made me have feelings of intense regret and bitterness. 

Regret because I made a lot of wrong decisions during that period, and bitterness because I feel like those decisions were due to manipulation of someone I thought of as a good friend.

Now I've been contemplating that period for a long time. And I realize a lot of the bad feelings is due to lack of acceptance of what is, and if my current situation.

How do I overcome these feelings?

It's in periods. But mostly when I feel goods these old feelings come back, and it takes me right back down and make me feel terrible in a matter of seconds. It can be due to triggers, or due to my mind just going there with no real reason.

3 hours ago, Tistepiste said:

Regret because I made a lot of wrong decisions during that period

You made the right decision at the time. That exact time. It couldn't of been any other way? Do you see it? 

Can you go back and change it? 

What you are doing friend is bringing thought into your present (the past.) Dragging it all with you... I know it's harder than what it appears but do this for you. Bring up the choices you made into your awareness and feel the emotion that comes with them. Feel them fully and then say "I forgive myself." Say it so you believe it. Say it over if you have to. 

@Charlotte thank you a lot for this response. I've been thinking about it and practicing it subconsciously since I read it. Didn't have time to practice what you advised, but will do when the time arises.

Thank you so much <3 means a great deal to me.

Much of it is already mentioned, but forgiveness and gratitude is the answer! Forgive yourself and others. With every hardships, there are valuable lessons to learn. So try to find gratitude instead of bitterness. 

? Forgive yourself. You made no mistake, because at that moment you took the best desicion you could make, considering your current state of mind. Reflecting upon it later, you may feel like it wasn’t the best decision, which shows personal growth. Learning from your actions is always a blessing, and growing is what we came here on earth to do. So forgive yourself, cus you didn’t know any better.

And be grateful, because now you do. Through this experience, you accumulated some new knowledge.

? Forgive others. Harnessing negative emotions such as bitterness, will ultimately harm no one else but you. Your emotions have a significant effect on your body, psyche and overall well-being. It also has a tremendous effect on the world you live in, as you are transmitting low frequency energy out into the universe. As a result, you might attract negative things, or low frequency people in your life. Forgive others, as it will only hurt you in the long run.

Be grateful because you have due to this incident, ended a toxic friendship that was never benefiting/serving you. Which in return gives you more room and time to heal, and create new connections with other people.

This ‘mistake’ might also turn out not to be a mistake afterall. You’d  be surprised where the universe can take you when you least expect it. As long as your mind and heart is open, anything is still possible and can be manifested. 

Good luck.

Edited by Smika

47 minutes ago, Tistepiste said:

@Smika thank you so much sweet soul!

No problem dear! ✨

@Tistepiste The Work of Byron Katie 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie