Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aclokay

Attachment vs Detachment

3 posts in this topic

Hi fellow integral fucks :)

I wanted your take on this. In Judaism, most of the practice is about proper attachment, rather then detachment. There are so many guidelines! like 613, some of them are in form of `don;t be a woman`, etc. 

A third of the Buddha's teaching is about proper attachment, which is the morality part, Sila, which is basically about living life for the benefit of yourself and others around you. I'ts often said, concentration and wisdom( of nothingness) can be mastered, but the morality part cannot be and goes on forever.

I'm pretty sure all tradition include some form of `proper` attachment, growing up in Israel, I hated the guts out of the orthodox Jews who were so strict with their Kosher and shabbat and that shit. But now come to think of it, how valuable this can be? Live consciously, any question about the behavior and morality is answered by the holy books, and you just follow and concentrate on being with God on the way.

We here, at actualized.org often here that we are God, but yet to be aware of that, that we are nothing, but the infinite one-ness suchness that prevails all of everything and anything and absolutely infinite and benevolent. Imagine coming to terms with that, physical reality ceases to exist? everything disappears? Every time  you have a conversation will you deny everything and claim "No no no, we can't have global warming because there is no planet, and warmth is a dualistic concept"

I take a guess that it doesn't happen. We are stuck in this physical dualistic world so long as we are aware of it. So, detach all you want, but perhaps it will be much more beneficial to attach properly, as the Jews do, not necessary in their style, but you get the general idea.

Thoughts?

The thinker will tend to create its opposite (detachment) out of its own opposite (attachment)...this means detachment has its root in attachment (reactionary) and remains a form of resistance. 

The thinker will choose between the two which remains a movement of resistance/identification-attachment. 

Edited by Jack River

12 hours ago, aclokay said:

Hi fellow integral fucks :)

I wanted your take on this. In Judaism, most of the practice is about proper attachment, rather then detachment. There are so many guidelines! like 613, some of them are in form of `don;t be a woman`, etc. 

A third of the Buddha's teaching is about proper attachment, which is the morality part, Sila, which is basically about living life for the benefit of yourself and others around you. I'ts often said, concentration and wisdom( of nothingness) can be mastered, but the morality part cannot be and goes on forever.

I'm pretty sure all tradition include some form of `proper` attachment, ...

Ethics is the basis of all religions and religions pick up ordinary people where they are. One who is liberated has gone beyond religions and ethics but appears to ordinary people as if strictly following ethical guidelines. Why? Because he is liberated he embodies ethical guidelines without following any ethical guidelines.. And being asked by ordinary people to teach he would teach them ethical conduct first. Why? Because he would know the ignorant minds of ordinary people and because his intent would be to mature the immature.

12 hours ago, aclokay said:

We here, at actualized.org often here that we are God, but yet to be aware of that, that we are nothing, but the infinite one-ness suchness that prevails all of everything and anything and absolutely infinite and benevolent. Imagine coming to terms with that, physical reality ceases to exist? everything disappears? Every time  you have a conversation will you deny everything and claim "No no no, we can't have global warming because there is no planet, and warmth is a dualistic concept"

I take a guess that it doesn't happen. We are stuck in this physical dualistic world so long as we are aware of it. So, detach all you want, but perhaps it will be much more beneficial to attach properly, as the Jews do, not necessary in their style, but you get the general idea.

Thoughts?

One who needs to attach will attach and one who's ready to detach will detach.
'Dualism vs non-dualism' is just another dualism. Being fixated on non-dualism is the trap of taking this dualism to be true.

Edited by ground

Please do not pay attention to my empty words if you are following Leo's teaching !!
Sometimes my empty words may appear too negative, too rational, too irrational, egoistical or even like trolling because my path is a non-path and is nothing but deviation and incompatible with all teachings known.