brugluiz

I think I'm an empath

29 posts in this topic

Hi, guys!

I just found out about the term empath (empata here in Brazil) and realized that maybe I'm one. That's funny because many times I thought I was a psychopath or sociopath because I felt so detached from my emotions. I even borrowed a book about psychopaths in order to see if I was one. I remember once I took a psychopath test and the result was that I was not a psychopath and neither had tendencies. Then I just concluded that I was a human being with no emotions.

What happens is that I take antipsychotics and, before taking them, I was a big wave of mixed emotions. But after taking antipsychotics, I became a little more dettached from my emotions.

I just took the test of Judith Orloff M.D. to see if I was an empath and I scored 16 points of 20 (there were questions I didn't understand, then I jumped them and I didn't score). It says that I have a strong empathic tendencies.

I'm reading about empaths and I identify myself too much, especially before taking antipsychotics.

What I find it's funny is that a therapist warned me that maybe I didn't have schizophrenia and just was too sensitive. A bar access facilitator also warned me that maybe I have a gift instead of schizophrenia (actually, I'm now diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder).

If I'm really an empath, now I can understand why I attracted many toxic people and emotional vampires (especially family) during some moments of my life. But, at the same time, I also understand why some people don't give up on me (I really think things like: "why the fuck there are people who like me if I'm a depressed weirdo who can barely stand up).

I really appreciate feeling what other people feel and I would do everything to heal them. But sometimes there are people who just want to drain my energy and it's not healthy for me.

By the way, I'm spending some days in nature and it's being amazing.

Just wanted to share it with you.

Peace and love, guys! ✌❤

Just now, Martin123 said:

@brugluiz Hello fellow empath. Can I ask about your plans with the anti psychotics?

Hi, @Martin123! I'm really thinking on quitting them, but I'm not sure when to do it. According to The Inner Compass Initiative, I should wean off slowly (very slow), but I can't split my tablet of antipsychotic in a very tiny piece that will let me taper off very slowly. Maybe I have to talk to my psychiatrist to have a liquid solution of my antipsychotic in order to stop medications the proper way.

But, directly answering your question, I still don't have plans with the antipsychotics.

@brugluiz I would absolutely adore if you managed to get off of them.
And here is why I say that. Being an empath is a very difficult and strange journey at first. We are living in a world where majority of people are completely disconnected from their emotions, and that can leave us feeling like we are totally insane, while in fact we are just feeling what the rest of the world is avoiding. This doesnt make us mentally ill, schizophrenic or crazy, that just makes us more aware. 
Embracing our empathic gifts is a learning curve, and so I would highly encounrage you to get off your medication at any pace you find suitable for your journey. 

You are not a failure, good for nothing or one to be blamed for anything at all. Your empathic sensitivities are what the world is lacking, and I beg of you, do not hold yourself back in that regard. Empathy, compassion, and love are who you naturally are, may those qualities be embraced as your new identity of who you are. It is okay to be different than the world around you... have you looked at the world? Its pretty batshit crazy, I think its lowkey good news when we realize to be different than the world.

I love you <3 And thank you for taking the time to post here. 

Edited by Martin123

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

Which is this majority of people who are  completely disconnected from their emotions, where can i find them?

Thanks, @Martin123!

I need strategize my medications withdrawal. I'm still not sure if I should do it now.

Hi , fellow empath! ??

I’m so happy for this realization of yours! I’m a empath myself, and I was on the verge of being prescribed medications as well. I don’t think this world fully gets how we function. There is nothing wrong with having heightened sensitivity. In fact it makes us closer to the spiritual realm.

Being an empath is however extremely difficult, and I’m still uncovering and learning how to deal with it.

For one, you absorb everyones emotional energy/aura. Social anxiety and mood swings will probably be a natural result of this. It can also make socialization difficult, because you have strong intuition and can usually tell what people are feeling or thinking, without them expressing it. 

Not to mention you attract a lot of narcissists and emotionally detatched people in your life.  You also become subjected to horrible treatment in life, as forces of darkness will try to steal your light, constantly. Not to mention, you never really fit the mold.

However, there are wonderful aspects to being an empath:

1. Most empaths are said to have a greater life mission on earth. One of them include being a so-called “lightworker”.

You can use your empathic and intuitive abilities to shed light on a rather dark world. You’re also a natural born healer. You can help others, and teach the way of love by example. If you learn how to controll your social anxiety and sensitivity, you can honestly make such a great impact on this world!

2. There are also many ways you can deal with your social anxiety, and there’s plenty of videos available. Biggest lesson being “knowing when to withdraw from social settings and to recharge”.  

You should say farewell to your medications, and start embracing being a empath! Honestly, this world would be such a ugly place without you and the light you bring. I hope you take advantage of you’re gift. And know that you are indeed awsome!

Good luck ? 

42 minutes ago, Aakash said:

@brugluiz @Smika what does it mean to be an empath in both of your eyes? 

I can only speak for myself. 

Being an empath to me, means you feel emotions on a deeper level. More than your own emotions, you feel the emotions of others. This usually transcend humans, and will include animals & every living thing.

Your entire life revolves around and is heavily dependent on others well-being. Since you’re not only sensitive but you also have strong intuition.

You can walk into any public space, and you feel everyones emotions. For others, everybody seems to be fine and everything is seemingly ‘normal’/‘great’. But you sense how most are stressed, not happy and some even depressed. You take it all on, as if it’s your own emotions you are experiencing. You also notice the small shifts in emotions around you, and because peoples emotions are constantly shifting, so is your mood when around people. It can be very exhausting to be honest.

You devolpe social anxiety as a result of this. You also need to constantly take a break from social situations, and just recharge. If not, you’ll never really know your own emotions as you’re carrying fragments of different peoples aura around you constantly. You’re also gonna have some form of a emotional breakdown if you don’t recharge. So it’s essential for every empath to recharge every so often.

You’re also more likely to attract narcissists and other negative people in your life (as people consciously or subconsciously can sense other peoples aura). So the forces of darkness in this world might find themselves attracted to you and your light. Most empaths experience a lot of darkness in their lives, especially growing up.

There is more to being an empath than I can cover. 

Hope this gave you some clearity! ?

Edited by Smika

@Smika thank you for your words! I lived a great deal of my life on unconsciousness but with a lot of suffering that I didn't understand. Many times my energy got drained and I couldn't understand why. I wondered a lot: "if I'm being kind, why I'm feeling so tired?" I also have natural inclinations towards environmental causes and other equality causes, but I never fall into being an extremist.

When in psychosis, I could sense when someone was lying to me or when someone was simply unhappy. I also would cry a lot many times without understanding exactly why (despite sometimes I was crying due to my life traumas).

Animals are very important to me and I feel their pain, but I lived a long time of my life on unconsciousness and I thought it was okay to just eat meat because my parents and family wanted me to do so. But I never liked the idea of doing bad things to animals and, when I did, I regret myself profoundly (I still feel the pain).

Sometimes I hate being this way because of such suffering and I think: "it would be easier if I felt nothing." I don't know if I'm really an empath, but I can really feel what other people feel to the point of getting depressed. I attracted many narcissist to my life (especially family) and I felt guilty because of it (they say we attract what we think, but, what about empaths?).

You can call me crazy or whatever, but, when in psychosis, I was able to do telepathy. I was really able to understand what other people was going to say before they saying it. Sometimes it happens even when taking antipsychotics to the point I got used with it,

@Aakash empaths are people more empathetic than normal.

@brugluiz i can sorta relate to what your saying to be honest, i'm not sure whether i would have called myself an empath. But what you write does explain alot of features i've felt in my life. 

Do you go around saying after 

how did this person not realise this or did you not realise how this person felt to another person 

or thinking thats not really what she means ? 

Heightened sensitivity can help growth if you use it to look at the world. See the pain, and become selfless and compassionate due to it.

@Smika calling yourself a light worker and building a special identity around it can do the opposite. 

Good luck

Edited by Arhattobe

17 minutes ago, Aakash said:

@brugluiz i can sorta relate to what your saying to be honest, i'm not sure whether i would have called myself an empath. But what you write does explain alot of features i've felt in my life. 

Do you go around saying after 

how did this person not realise this or did you not realise how this person felt to another person 

or thinking thats not really what she means ? 

I don't know, maybe you want to take Judith Orloff test in order to clarify it: https://drjudithorloff.com/quizzes/empath-self-assessment-test/

I didn't understand what you mean exactly.

@Arhattobe thank you :)

14 hours ago, Arhattobe said:

Heightened sensitivity can help growth if you use it to look at the world. See the pain, and become selfless and compassionate due to it.

@Smika calling yourself a light worker and building a special identity around it can do the opposite. 

Good luck

Yeah, I’m aware of that. Thanks for pointing it out.

I try to not label myself as such, but I also want to bring some sort of an awarness. It can be used for good in this world, and I truly believe that to be the sole purpose of this ‘ability’. I think it’s more of a gift than it is a curse. 

However, being sensitive is considered a rather negative trait in our society. So much so people might try to medicate and change you for it. Which is the unfortunate case in his situation.

What he choose to do with this possible ‘realization’ is really and truly up to him. I hope he finds solice in it. And I also hope he embrace it, and ditch the medication. 

Even tho I am aware (deep down) that you’ll probably never be a 100% comfortable with having this quality about yourself. You just gotta make the best of it, and ask the universe for guidance. 

Edited by Smika

15 hours ago, brugluiz said:

@Smika thank you for your words! I lived a great deal of my life on unconsciousness but with a lot of suffering that I didn't understand. Many times my energy got drained and I couldn't understand why. I wondered a lot: "if I'm being kind, why I'm feeling so tired?" I also have natural inclinations towards environmental causes and other equality causes, but I never fall into being an extremist.

When in psychosis, I could sense when someone was lying to me or when someone was simply unhappy. I also would cry a lot many times without understanding exactly why (despite sometimes I was crying due to my life traumas).

Animals are very important to me and I feel their pain, but I lived a long time of my life on unconsciousness and I thought it was okay to just eat meat because my parents and family wanted me to do so. But I never liked the idea of doing bad things to animals and, when I did, I regret myself profoundly (I still feel the pain).

Sometimes I hate being this way because of such suffering and I think: "it would be easier if I felt nothing." I don't know if I'm really an empath, but I can really feel what other people feel to the point of getting depressed. I attracted many narcissist to my life (especially family) and I felt guilty because of it (they say we attract what we think, but, what about empaths?).

You can call me crazy or whatever, but, when in psychosis, I was able to do telepathy. I was really able to understand what other people was going to say before they saying it. Sometimes it happens even when taking antipsychotics to the point I got used with it,

@Aakash empaths are people more empathetic than normal.

I really think you are one. Hopefully you’ll make great use of it. And I very much advice you to ditch your medication, unless it is for some other reasons as well. You are this way for a reason, and I hope you find what that reason is!

Good luck  ✨

Edited by Smika

@Smika self acceptance doesn’t have to be forced. It’ll be more authentic, true and deep if you give it time ❣️

23 hours ago, Arhattobe said:

calling yourself a light worker and building a special identity around it can do the opposite. 

dont mistake self-denial for consciousness

@Martin123 What I said had little to do with consciousness. Heightened sensitivity at best offers you a peak to the world outside you. The human world so you can grow in wisdom and compassion. Don’t overestimate your position or make yourself feel special. You are not. 

Just now, Arhattobe said:

What I said had little to do with consciousness

oh at least we can agree on something!