Matt23

What is Mental Illness? (And how to overcome it)

2 posts in this topic

I'd like to see a video that goes in-depth into what exactly mental illnesses are (especially Borderline and Dissociative Personality disorders) and how people can overcome them. 

I'd like to see what mental illness is through different lenses as well:  science, spirituality, shamanism, various cultures, etc.  And what and how these different perspectives treat or deal with the mental illness and their effectiveness.

I'd also like to see what makes mental illnesses distinct from common neuroses.  Why are mental illnesses called mental illnesses?  Is it like a spectrum?  Are mental illnesses simply common neuroses that are more severe?  Or do people that have mental illnesses have different brain structures and are "built" that way?

I'd also like to hear about 

Questions to answer:

1. What are mental illnesses?

2. Why are mental illnesses called mental illnesses?  What makes them distinct from other neuroses or personalities?

3. How do other perspectives (science, spiritual traditions, shamanistic paths, cultures, etc) view and deal with mental illness?    

4. What are the most effective tools for overcoming mental illness?

5. Is it possible to completely overcome mental illness?  Generally and in specific cases.

6. What are the drawbacks and benefits of different perspectives' views and treatments with mental illness (specifically science vs. spirituality)

7. What are some historical contexts and examples of mental illnesses and how they were seen and 'dealt' with.

8. Guidelines for using medications:  What are the mental illnesses or times that really requires medications?  What types of medications?  When are medications not necessary, useful, or even harmful?

9.  What is the root cause of mental illness?

10.  Examples of people overcoming mental illness.

Mental illnesses I'm most interested in covering

1. Personality disorders.  Specifically Borderline and Dissociative Personality Disorders.

2. Bi-polar disorder.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins