seaneyboyjazz

Is my Life Purpose too selfish?

13 posts in this topic

I've  just finished the "finding your life purpose" section in the Life Purpose Course and the life purpose statement I came up with was "expressing the beauty of life through music". But in all honestly it's kind of a selfish life purpose. I only want to do it because I really enjoy expressing myself through music. Should I change it to something that's more centered around benefiting other people? 

Edited by seaneyboyjazz

7 minutes ago, seaneyboyjazz said:

enjoy expressing myself through music.

You can have an impact on people with your music.

"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become." - Carl Gustav Jung

"Open your heart, let the universe shine through, don't be scared, it knows what you need, now and forever"

Your life purpose should be yours and not what other people think what it should be.

Edited by BjarkeT

Toughen up and embrace the suck.

“I don't count my sit-ups; I only start counting when it starts hurting because they’re the only ones that count”

Muhammad Ali

1 hour ago, seaneyboyjazz said:

I've  just finished the "finding your life purpose" section in the Life Purpose Course and the life purpose statement I came up with was "expressing the beauty of life through music". But in all honestly it's kind of a selfish life purpose. I only want to do it because I really enjoy expressing myself through music. Should I change it to something that's more centered around benefiting other people? 

Sounds great to me, go for it.  Ya don't TRY to make your life look like your not a selfish person on the outside, it doesn't work that way.  Your just trying to mold a piece of clay on the outside, when the real expression of kindness and selflesness comes from the inside.  Just follow the passion you have now and I'm sure it will turn out great.

IF you are artistically minded then it sounds like you're right on track.

@seaneyboyjazz It may be selfish at first but over time, the more people you impact with your music, the less selfish it will be.

"The place you are looking for is the place from which you are looking." - Mooji 

@seaneyboyjazz Go with it, but don't expect that this is really it. It will change a lot and it will become much more self-less to the point where it is not your life purpose anymore, it's just what is expressing through you.

52 minutes ago, okulele said:

it is not your life purpose anymore, it's just what is expressing through you.

This sounds about right.

"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become." - Carl Gustav Jung

"Open your heart, let the universe shine through, don't be scared, it knows what you need, now and forever"

@seaneyboyjazz That is fine, but now you need to think about what impact you want to have on people with your music. How to you want your music to affect others? Therein lies the selfless part.

"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself." -- Rumi

@seaneyboyjazz I have the same life purpose and honestly you really seem to be on the right path! What I can say is that the more you do it from a place of sincerity, heart & passion, not forcing anything and just naturally writing from a deep center within, the more authentic it is and hence the more you are energetically giving to the world. 

We do it because we love doing it and because it is Spirit. It's in our blood & bones and it gives us breath. It's like our pulse and the rhythm of our heart. But healing and inspiring others through music makes this life purpose 10x more exciting to know that not only are you healing yourself and coming from an authentic place, but you are also deeply affecting others in beautiful ways. 

And yes to what Leo said ^_^

Edited by VioletFlame

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

Music has been my closest friend since I was a child, I love it more than anything. If you can give me music that changes my life then your purpose is anything but selfish. 

:)