ivory

Wow. Spiral dynamics.

19 posts in this topic

I'm new to Leo's videos, some I found relevant, and some I thought to be immature (his older vids). However, his talks on spiral dynamics were amazing. As a self-assessment I'd say that I have a lot of orange and yellow but not so much green. People often think I'm a dick so I'm not really good in relationships. I'm also a bit of a lone-wolf. I must say, though, the stage green has motivated me in a way I didn't expect. I find myself wanting to seek out more meaningful relationships, give money to the homeless on the street, and learn to listen better in conversation. I'd also like to start a loving kindness meditation practice. I didn't realize how selfish I was and how much I was shutting other people out until now.

Anyone want to share about their experience opening the heart?

You are at stage Orange. A lot of Orange people identify with Yellow but don't truly understand the Yellow mindset. The key difference between Yellow and Orange is that Yellow has embodied Green values and worldviews. A Yellow person is working towards a higher purpose that involves the entire world. Orange is preoccupied with personal development and success.

I transitioned out of Orange and into Green years ago when I first dabbled in psychedelics. After that I got into all the hippie stuff, like healing crystals, meditation, pseudo-spiritually, opening the third-eye, spreading love and tolerance, and living a simple life. One with nature and a friend of trees, plants, animals, and all people.

Becoming vegan was a big one for me in the realm of opening my heart. At first (maybe 8months ago) I stoped eating meat from a purely belief based stand point but a lot of resistance from the people surrounding me made me rethink and contemplate why I was doing it and I saw quite clearly that by that point I would be disgusted by animal products altogether. I would (and i still do) feel this compassion/love for living creatures and for the environnement. 

That and also magic mushrooms where also huge in giving me a taste of love beyond  what I ever though was possible.❤️

I would consider myself mostly green with a bunch of orange still left over.

Sailing on the ceiling 

1 minute ago, Rigel said:

Becoming vegan was a big one for me in the realm of opening my heart. At first (maybe 8months ago) I stoped eating meat from a purely belief based stand point but a lot of resistance from the people surrounding me made me rethink and contemplate why I was doing it and I saw quite clearly that by that point I would be disgusted by animal products altogether. I would (and i still do) feel this compassion/love for living creatures and for the environnement.

Becoming vegan is a big indicator too. I became so disgusted with the food industry that I completely changed my diet. IMO, if everyone knew the exact truth of how animals are treated in the meat and dairy industry, almost everyone would become vegan, or atleast switch to grass fed products.

@Genghis Khan You don't know @ivory so stop trying to tell him what stage he's at. It's very common for higher consciousness people, especially men, to be part orange and part yellow. I see it all the time. You can't FULLY be yellow until you've moved through and integrated green. But it's possible to "skip" over green and have a yellow mindset (thinking in systems, cerebral, integrative), while still clinging to lower stages. Ivory knows this (because he's part yellow), and is therefore very interested in integrating green. He sees the benefit of having stronger relationships and giving more love to the world. It's essential to becoming a holistic human being.

Ivory, if you're really interested in moving into green, take some psychedelics. It's probably the best thing you can do for your personal development right now.  

Edited by TheAvatarState

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

@TheAvatarState I only mean to stress the importance of Stage Green ideas, mindsets, experiences etc. It's relatively easy to intellectually dabble in Yellow concepts, but living a Yellow life is incredibly challenging. Especially without the wisdom that comes with Stage Green.

Edited by Genghis Khan

42 minutes ago, Genghis Khan said:

You are at stage Orange. A lot of Orange people identify with Yellow but don't truly understand the Yellow mindset.

You have to look at spiral dynamics more systematically. I believe you can be mostly orange, or mostly green, or whatever, but to say someone is orange isn't quite right. There are a lot of variables to consider in each so called "stage".

33 minutes ago, TheAvatarState said:

It's very common for higher consciousness people, especially men, to be part orange and part yellow

This coincides more with my understanding of spiral dynamics. You get that if you start to see everything in systems. Break life down into 6 categories: relationships, career, health, spirituality, learning, and recreation. Now ask the question what color am I in those categories?

But it's possible to "skip" over green and have a yellow mindset (thinking in systems, cerebral, integrative), while still clinging to lower stages.

That's what I think happened with me. There are some very underdeveloped aspects of my personality. However, I am very self-aware and think philosophically.

Ivory, if you're really interested in moving into green, take some psychedelics. It's probably the best thing you can do for your personal development right now.

I may try that.

Edited by ivory

3 minutes ago, ivory said:

You have to look at spiral dynamics more systematically. I believe you can be mostly orange, or mostly green, or whatever, but to say someone is orange isn't quite right. There are a lot of variables to consider in each so called "stage".

This coincides more with my understanding of spiral dynamics. You get that if you start to see everything in systems. Break life down into 6 categories: relationships, work, career, health, spirituality, learning, and recreation. Now ask the question what color am I in those categories?

I completely agree with this view of Spiral Dynamics. Allow me to clarify what I meant when I said you're Orange. I tend to follow the principle that one is only as strong as their weakest link. In whichever category you are the lowest, that is your default stage, in my view. For example, imagine a man who practices meditation and watches Actualized.org. He is a vegan, drives an environmentally friendly car, and attends a yoga class. The catch is, he works as a hitman for the mob. In this instance, this man would be Stage Green/ Yellow in every area of his life except for his work, which is stage Red. In this example, I would still consider this individual stage red.

That's just a long-winded explanation for my discrepancy in categorization.

18 minutes ago, ivory said:

Break life down into 6 categories: relationships, work, career, health, spirituality, learning, and recreation. Now ask the question what color am I in those categories?

Yes, GOOD! You're really getting it. The broad sense of Spiral Dynamics, that is to rate at one main category, is best applied to groups of people like nations or governments or corporations, since the collective ego seems to settle at one particular stage and runs all the decision making. However, that's just the tip of the iceberg for relating spiral dynamics to your personal life. You realize that every category (the 6 you mentioned just being a starting point) evolves along the same lines of development outlined in SD! It's quite profound. You can make a much more impactful and helpful map of your psyche by honestly rating yourself in many different categories. For instance, your relationships and sex can be at orange, but your intellect could be much more advanced at yellow. Also notice that by raising your level in one category will make you much more aware and ready to advance in others. All of these categories are intimately connected. I'm very happy you found Spiral Dynamics; this could be a turning point of your life if you start working on what you've learned. Spiral dynamics itself is a pure yellow model of looking at the world and yourself, and it's already giving you new perspectives on life.  

Edited by TheAvatarState

Sent from my iEgo

What are good resources for learning about spiral dynamics? Also, how comprehensive are Leo's videos?

@Leo Gura

@ivory

http://www.kenwilber.com/Writings/PDF/C-jenny-don.pdf

Wilber's take, that one can go through green (or every stage) without being so collective-centered or individual-centered.
Makes Spiral Dynamics even more nuanced.

For example stage orange Japan is highly collective.

Though one may have to do both for complete incorporation. (?)

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

@ivory The Bible is "Spiral Dynamics" by Don Beck and Christopher Cohen, the founders of the model. It's rare to find in bookstores, so just buy it off Amazon.

Sent from my iEgo

I just ordered it! Although, the title isn't what I expected. "Mastering leadership" For some reason that just makes me think of capitalism.

@ivory It's understandable that you'd think that, but that's a narrow view fed to you by your society. The best leaders are yellow. You've gotta take a more nuanced and big-picture perspective of what leadership really is. :)

Sent from my iEgo

There are a few interesting things I that have happened since learning about spiral dynamics:

I see groups and individuals for where they're at in the journey

Society no longer seems chaotic

Fewer judgements of others

More aware of my thoughts when I do judge others

I'm more optimist about society

Less struggle

Less confusion as to what I should be focusing on

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, ivory said:

I'm more optimist about society

This is the big one! :P

Sent from my iEgo

On 12/28/2018 at 11:45 AM, ivory said:

What are good resources for learning about spiral dynamics? Also, how comprehensive are Leo's videos?

One of the ablest coaches who have answered this problem is TJ Reeves.   

Most of the video is about spiral dynamics, but the whole things is well-worth watching.