CreamCat

How do veteran buddhist monks calmly endure being burned alive?

33 posts in this topic

@CreamCat I can't tell, I can imagine. I don't know how much experience I have with psychedelics, because my body needs a lot more and I did test it and only two different environments, and still integrate insights and perceptions especially the outer world after I meditate. Sometimes the world becomes more vivid like psychedelic or more vibrant and clear. Yet, I after the last retreat I just went nuts it was like my intuition went overload and I interpreted every symbol to literally, instead of becoming one with all objects for instance. Like if I recall correctly, Leo has in his magic mushroom video, where he became one ( I did not watch the video in its entirety ) and loved all objects that he saw, even some dirt on the floor and the trashcan?  Etc.

Coming to the point... I do not know how an ego death feels like, I know that I went into becoming one with a sentient being instead of relying on my intuition to interpret reality, situations, thoughts of people, hidden intentions, good intentions etc. It was different than an amplified intuition of compassion and empathy which I had and I felt like I "loved" my friend during a psychedelic trip. He felt the total opposite saying he felt extremely different from me which was odd to me since I was so convinced that we were on the same page. 

So, I can't tell if there is a misconception about dying and becoming one with everything. Or if it is about enlightenment. I was listening to an audiobook and the teacher there talked about how each moment.. can be peppered with thousands of moments of pure bliss, god, (things I have not yet experienced), yet that one never fully sees God. Which was odd to me that someone of his age says that. 

About physical death and psychedelic death, I can relate in a way when for instance I do a do nothing meditation and I drop into a state of something which is "very" deep ( I talked about this with a teacher more competent than me), I lose consciousness, most likely because I am not ready, or not experienced enough. Anyway, it feels like you lose consciousness (in retrospect ), but at the same time, one goes deeper into consciousness IMO!  So, in a sense, it is like death but death would include some form of "duality" and there has to be a "somethingness" to it or a perceivable quality to death itself. This is just my opinion, with practice, this will change most likely. Also, this teacher talked about how torture could help with enlightenment since it would be trigger practice but he could not do it in some way. In regards to staying conscious while experiencing hellish agony. 

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

10 hours ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

I can relate in a way when for instance I do a do nothing meditation and I drop into a state of something which is "very" deep ( I talked about this with a teacher more competent than me), I lose consciousness, most likely because I am not ready, or not experienced enough. Anyway, it feels like you lose consciousness (in retrospect ), but at the same time, one goes deeper into consciousness IMO!

When I do "do nothing" meditation, I sometimes fall asleep and lose consciousness. Are you sure you didn't fall asleep?

Because they've released all of their earthly attachments. They've already died.

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

@CreamCat No, it seemed similar to having a 30-minute meditation in one minute similar when time seems to speed up with psychedelics, with a good posture even seated it is possible to tell when you fall asleep. Same with sitting, it's not the same as falling asleep when I went deeper my body did some movement on its own and moved forward, I snapped back because I was scared and wanted to regain posture, I explained this to the teacher he told me I was going deeper and I was not tired at that day. I feel asleep during lying meditation when I went over the 30+ minute mark which is fine IMO, dropping from consciousness to consciousness IMO. But, this happened after the last weekend retreat, so it is rather new. And I rarely do it. But helps without having a good support structure to keep up with practice. I usually take a warm to cold shower so I feel very fit and active often times when there is no external stress for a meditation session in the morning. 

This " going deeper" was during a weekend retreat and happened also during my zen retreat when I was exhausted after samu, so there is some causation to physical exhaustion and going deeper because your body simply relaxes. I am not doing much sport, but my body is very good. So, I feel that. Similar to what Ken Wilber recommends for "growing up" through the spiral or stages, that any form of working out physically helps, but weightlifting according to their "studies" is the thing to do.

In my "infant" journey for some self-criticism. I was scared what other people think of me when I meditate in some public space as long as they are not my roommates. So, I looked up lying down meditation and use my arm as biofeedback advice, I did this while I traveled by train for example and had my own bed there with others in the compartment etc. Or at hostels. Or went outside after some sports and meditated with sports clothes.  

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

@ValiantSalvatore Damn, you had a weekend retreat at a temple? I just finished doing a one-day solo retreat at home. It is not as intense as yours.

Is as stupid as a waste of time and suicide is not a virtue, is not true courage. What I see on these monks is just cultural harakiri mentality, nothing much, another form of belief that is virtuous in their society. So don't confuse an enlightened master with an ascetic that does not feel anymore and castrated himself. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I don't have much time to research atm. there's no f'in way.

You're telling me people do this ,without like a condition where they don't feel physical sensations?

Nope

2 hours ago, katykat said:

@CreamCat No screaming, no flailing, just sat, burned, died.

Why did she commit suicide?

9 hours ago, CreamCat said:

Why did she commit suicide?

I don't know.