Lorcan

I want to gain weight and muscle mass. Advice?

31 posts in this topic

Thank you for the advice everyone here. It is appreciated. <3

Just wanted to chime in and point out that 10 miles @ 50 mph is roughly a 20 minute drive, which is inconvenient, but fairly reasonable. Sticking to a full body routine would mean you only need to be in the gym a few times a week. Compound exercises such as bench press, overhead press, squat, and dead lift should be your priorities to build a base of strength, and then you can worry about size. The only way you will gain any weight is if you eat a lot of food.  

3 hours ago, ZZZZ said:

Just wanted to chime in and point out that 10 miles @ 50 mph is roughly a 20 minute drive, which is inconvenient, but fairly reasonable. Sticking to a full body routine would mean you only need to be in the gym a few times a week. Compound exercises such as bench press, overhead press, squat, and dead lift should be your priorities to build a base of strength, and then you can worry about size. The only way you will gain any weight is if you eat a lot of food.  

Thank you. 

You will need to make your dietary and exercise changes to help you reach your long-term goals when you want to gain both weight and muscle. Choosing healthy foods and preforming the right types of exercise can help you in gain weight and build more muscle mass. You can also take bodybuilding supplements from a experienced consultant.

Just be aware that big doesn’t = strength. If you want STRENGTH then you can do that without weights. Don’t go for external load if you can’t manage body weight. This is first and foremost. If you don’t know how to move (which is most people... including a fair amount of elite athletes), you don’t have good range of motion and mobility, you’re better off starting slow and working on that and basic exercises. The problem I see most people and even most elite athletes have in terms of strength work and workouts and training as a whole is that I notice they can’t tolerate the reality of how simple it really is. For instance: push-ups, squats, lunges, lunges step ups, calf raises, calf raises at different angles, light and heavy plyometrics, etc. 

Don’t make strength work into some overlycomplicated thing. You’d be surprised if you look at top the top athletes in the world 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago (who are in a lot of ways stronger than a lot of athletes are multidimensionally today) did for strength work and how they never went to a gym and used machines. 

If I were you I’d buy: 

• A couple kettlebells 
  • Med ball
  • Jump rope

Thats all I’d really buy. The amount of stuff you can do with those things are quite astounding. Maybe through in some dumbbells but most dumbbell work you can do with kettlebells. 

Also check out Kelly Starrett on YouTube. A great Stage Yellow systems oriented guy towards strength, mobility, injuries, and so so so much more. He makes the overly complex into understandable systems that average people can comprehend what’s going on. 

No need for sports to increase muscle mass. Bacteria, raw animal protein and saturated fats will do it.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

On 23/02/2019 at 0:17 PM, Hellspeed said:

No need for sports to increase muscle mass. Bacteria, raw animal protein and saturated fats will do it.

:D:D cmon man, you cant have possibly said that

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 3/11/2019 at 10:45 AM, Michael569 said:

:D:D cmon man, you cant have possibly said that

I said it, because is true. But only on a certain lifestyle, not the average Joe. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

If you want to gain muscle all of that cardio is going to be counterproductive to doing that. And if that's the only way you can get to a gym, then you'd have to eat way more food than you do & you already said your appetite was poor. I don't know your situation entirely, but if it's possible, until you can get reliable transport, I would invest in a home gym type situation. Either that or you're going to have to force feed yourself more calories. The only way to get bigger (Besides the lifting) is to eat more calories. I don't know how it is in Ireland, but in the US they have mass gainer you can buy from the store that has 1200 calories per scoop, so if that's an option for you I'd look into that.