Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spence94

Language learners

9 posts in this topic

Any language learners about?

I am currently learning Chinese and would love to share some ideas on language learning.

Both on the practicality of learning the language and more nuanced and profound insights into learning the language, delving deep into another culture and the self actualizing benefits of the process of learning another language.

Leo mentioned a good one in his comprehension video:

"Language creates your reality"

I'm kinda trying to test this one out and it would be cool to share insights as my Mandarin improves. the more I learn, the more it seems like a great persuit for self actualizing in many different way.

Just thought I would start the thread, feel free to jump in.

Peace!

I've been learning Norwegian for about a year now. Justin doing it to scramble my brain (and because who doesn't think been bilingual wouldn't be cool haha). 

@Spence94 So good. I am a Chinese native speaker. I have been so tired with my mother culture.

;), that's why I come here for a change of scenery,haha~

I Welcome you to learn Mandarin.:P That would be an exciting journey into Chinese culture.

Any help you need just let me know.

Me personally, I would like to learn French, but I don't know where to begin. Any advice?

@Jeff Zhang  sweet thanks!

Mandarin is tough but once you get passed the inital intimidating stage its gets better. i am at the point where i can much better distinquish the sounds and rythm of the language. I find language learning to be a domino effect, it just all builds on eachother. Once i released a lot of old beliefs around the subject the possibility of success in the persuit became a lot more real. its a flowing language and its a lot of fun to speak when you get it right. Chinese people are generally very appreciative of the effort too!

On 12/24/2018 at 7:44 PM, Jeff Zhang said:

@Spence94

Me personally, I would like to learn French, but I don't know where to begin. Any advice?

Duolingo is a good for the basics. It's a free app you can download for your smartphone, and it's quite entertaining.

Edited by GenuinePerspectiveXC

Guess English as a second language does not count anymore these days :D For me it was German also for about 10 years and Spanish for 3 (abandoned some time ago). Found it fun to learn them and it came quite naturally but all that because I had no idea what to do with my life. 

Once I found more meaningful purpose, I dropped even German because I could not see its use anymore, at least not in the foreseeable future. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus