Cepzeu

Anyone else taken the 16 personalities test and had this result -

26 posts in this topic

Every quarter or so I do the '16 Personalities' test because there will be something that pops up that reminds me that it's important to know your personality type. My results are usually very close to the 50% mark for the 4 main categories. My 'personality' type, therefore varies between one of 8 options, the only thing being consistent is that I am usually more weighted towards assertive. Here's an example:

12.PNG

Anyone else have similar results? Depending on which side of the 50% I'm on for the first 4 categories, I could be one of 8 options. 

I recognise that taking the test multiple times can skew your results but I do this roughly every quarter, not twice in a row.

Not sure what to make of the results, I guess I'm balanced but I'm not sure what that means in terms of the categories they talk about in the write up (career, relationships, etc.)

ლ,ᔑ•ﺪ͟͠•ᔐ.ლ

Not taking it too seriously :), Just figuring out the dream

Edited by Cepzeu

It's BS don't worry.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@Cepzeu There's a general consensus between experts that Myers-Briggs is a very outdated model, even faulty.

If you want really accurate personality inventories take The Big 5, Hexaco, The Dark Triad and the NPI. 

These are the most cutting edge tests. Myers-Briggs is still ok to take for fun, but it isn't as reliable as the other ones anymore, by a long shot. 

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

Usually the biggest people make is that they think this is a personality test. Personality is a huuuuuuge dimension influenced by huuuge amount of factors: biological, genetic, evolutionary, societal, parenting and who knows what else. And no wonder it is like this, that is how it is sold. No one likes to be sold just a peace of the puzzle, everyone wants the whole puzzle.

What mayers-brigs model does is that it maps your preference for usage of certain cognitive functions.  That what that letter stack represents.
Preference and order of use, thats all. Each person has all 8 of the cognitive functions, but doesn't use them all. Some are repressed, some are in the shadow. If one uses all of them he would be running around like a mad man, or someone on acid.  This is detrimental to the human experience. But like all else, its just a map, infact, a part of the map, lets say a geo-thermal map, you can find other personality maps that are not geo-thermal :D

So in your case the ISFP stack is a formula from witch you can extract your functions in order:

-Introverted Feeling - Primary
-Extroverted Sensing - Secondary

-Introverted Intuition- Tertiary
-Extroverted Thinking- Repressed

The other 4, you rarely have access to, lets say on psychedelics, or in a very deep state of meditation you can have a glimpse. Huge stress can also bring them to the surface. The deeper you go the less developed this functions are. Also each function has a different tone when it is on a different position.(Primary, secondary,tertiary,repressed)

When trying to understand myers-brigs model, it is best to go and research about the cognitive functions and how they operate. Not the letter stack as a meme (ISFP), that makes you a target for archetypal possession.

Note that this is a Jungian thing. It goes very fast and easy into the sea of the abstract.
That in part is why it is rejected as an inaccurate and BS test all around.

You can also try the "big 5" test, that one is widely used for prediction of results, used for statistics ect.

Edited by Yog

1 hour ago, Dan Arnautu said:

@Cepzeu There's a general consensus between experts that Myers-Briggs is a very outdated model, even faulty.

If you want really accurate personality inventories take The Big 5, Hexaco, The Dark Triad and the NPI. 

These are the most cutting edge tests. Myers-Briggs is still ok to take for fun, but it isn't as reliable as the other ones anymore, by a long shot. 

Interesting, thank you. I wasn't aware of this. Always hear people mentioning it, even Leo around on the forum.

44 minutes ago, Yog said:

Usually the biggest people make is that they think this is a personality test. Personality is a huuuuuuge dimension influenced by huuuge amount of factors: biological, genetic, evolutionary, societal, parenting and who knows what else. And no wonder it is like this, that is how it is sold. No one likes to be sold just a peace of the puzzle, everyone wants the whole puzzle.

What mayers-brigs model does is that it maps your preference for usage of certain cognitive functions.  That what that letter stack represents.
Preference and order of use, thats all. Each person has all 8 of the cognitive functions, but doesn't use them all. Some are repressed, some are in the shadow. If one uses all of them he would be running around like a mad man, or someone on acid.  This is detrimental to the human experience. But like all else, its just a map, infact, a part of the map, lets say a geo-thermal map, you can find other personality maps that are not geo-thermal :D

So in your case the ISFP stack is a formula from witch you can extract your functions in order:

-Introverted Feeling - Primary
-Extroverted Sensing - Secondary

-Introverted Intuition- Tertiary
-Extroverted Thinking- Repressed

The other 4, you rarely have access to, lets say on psychedelics, or in a very deep state of meditation you can have a glimpse. Huge stress can also bring them to the surface. The deeper you go the less developed this functions are. Also each function has a different tone when it is on a different position.(Primary, secondary,tertiary,repressed)

When trying to understand myers-brigs model, it is best to go and research about the cognitive functions and how they operate. Not the letter stack as a meme (ISFP), that makes you a target for archetypal possession.

Note that this is a Jungian thing. It goes very fast and easy into the sea of the abstract.
That in part is why it is rejected as an inaccurate and BS test all around.

You can also try the "big 5" test, that one is widely used for prediction of results, used for statistics ect.

Yes, it does seem like a limited map. I guess people are more likely to take a 60 question test and buy a surface level product than take a very comprehensive personality assessment that might take hours.

@Cepzeu Its still quite useful though, not to be underestimated. Its small, yet it can tell so much.  

MBTI is hella powerful, but most people don't delve into it or even understand where it comes from. It's based on Jung's psychological types, and there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

16 Personalities is an example of how modern entrepeneurs bastardize and simplify the model into its surface to make it easier to sell.

That's not to say MBTI is scientific or anything, but I think Jung was way more observant than he gets the credit for. However, it also has in common with a lot of Jung's ideas that they are more or less inherently unfalsifiable.

16 minutes ago, Cepzeu said:

Interesting, thank you. I wasn't aware of this. Always hear people mentioning it, even Leo around on the forum.

Myers-Briggs is a model from the 1940's-50's. It's very old. A lot of breakthrough science on personality has come out since then. 

All the others I mentioned are very new and cutting edge.

More and more studies are starting to show that almost all personality tests from past to present can boil down to the 5 dimensions of the big 5 + general IQ, which evolutionary psychologist Geoffrey Miller calls 'The Central 6'. 

The Big 5 + The Dark Triad are very powerful tools to use in your arsenal.

Give them to any potential date, any potential business partner, every close friend, every family member, every coworker and every boss. 

If you know how to read the results it will save you years of frustration with people and you will be able to avoid the ones that will fuck you over and make your life a living hell.

Don't underestimate the power of these two assessments. They are as powerful as brain scans.

You will be able to identify sociopaths, psychopaths, machiavellic devils, as well as untrustworthy and unstable people in general. 

I will give these asessements to any prospect student, teacher, mentor, employee or job applicant and collaborator. 

P.S.: Them being suspicious about taking the test is already a red flag. It indicates paranoia that they will be fucked over, and usually only manipulative people are that paranoic. Healthy people are not worried that they will get bad scores. 

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu  Where can I learn how to read the test? :) 

My scores are:

Open-mindedness: 94

Conscientiousness: 10 (holy crap, I need to work on this)

Extraversion: 79

Agreeableness: 86

Negative emotionality: 7

I notice that different tests have different definitions for these personality traits... I usually get very high assertiveness, positive emotions and openness, but conscientiousness used to be quite high... It probably depends on the task. Extraversion depends on the people that are around at the moment, but I usually warm up quickly, even with adults and teachers...

Do you guys have any more insights?

44 minutes ago, Dan Arnautu said:

Myers-Briggs is a model from the 1940's-50's. It's very old. A lot of breakthrough science on personality has come out since then. 

All the others I mentioned are very new and cutting edge.

More and more studies are starting to show that almost all personality tests from past to present can boil down to the 5 dimensions of the big 5 + general IQ, which evolutionary psychologist Geoffrey Miller calls 'The Central 6'. 

The Big 5 + The Dark Triad are very powerful tools to use in your arsenal.

Give them to any potential date, any potential business partner, every close friend, every family member, every coworker and every boss. 

If you know how to read the results it will save you years of frustration with people and you will be able to avoid the ones that will fuck you over and make your life a living hell.

Don't underestimate the power of these two assessments. They are as powerful as brain scans.

You will be able to identify sociopaths, psychopaths, machiavellic devils, as well as untrustworthy and unstable people in general. 

I will give these asessements to any prospect student, teacher, mentor, employee or job applicant and collaborator. 

P.S.: Them being suspicious about taking the test is already a red flag. It indicates paranoia that they will be fucked over, and usually only manipulative people are that paranoic. Healthy people are not worried that they will get bad scores. 

Wow, sounds powerful, will definitely look into these!

@bejapuskas Your scores are good overall but no employer in their right mind would hire you with that conscientiousness score.

Low conscientiousness is directly correlated with sloppy work, cutting corners, lack of attention to details, showing up late, being unorganized, being unable to stick to a schedule and a low tendency to work hard. 

According to big 5,  I am -

Extraversion - 22 percentile

Emotional Stability - 39 percentile

Agreeableness - 76 percentile

Conscientiousness - 15 percentile

Intellect/Imagination - 80 percentile

anyone got any thought on this?

2 hours ago, Dan Arnautu said:

@bejapuskas Your scores are good overall but no employer in their right mind would hire you with that conscientiousness score.

Low conscientiousness is directly correlated with sloppy work, cutting corners, lack of attention to details, showing up late, being unorganized, being unable to stick to a schedule and a low tendency to work hard. 

The Big 5 can actually be divided further into 10 and 27 categories of more or less independent factors. The "high openness, low conscientiousness" person is a thing. They will still work on pure motivation, and perfectionism (which is a subfactor of conscientiousness together with industriousness) isn't always needed, and even then, someone with a generally low conscientiousness score might be perfectionistic enough. Whether someone would want to hire you: It all depends.

3 hours ago, Dan Arnautu said:

Not true at all. People can have many legitimate reasons for not wanting to take personality tests. To say that people have bad characteristics because they don't want to take a personality test is just wrong.

It's no guarantee. People with these traits are just as likely to have already learned to blend in with society.

37 minutes ago, Krisena said:

The Big 5 can actually be divided further into 10 and 27 categories of more or less independent factors. The "high openness, low conscientiousness" person is a thing. They will still work on pure motivation, and perfectionism (which is a subfactor of conscientiousness together with industriousness) isn't always needed, and even then, someone with a generally low conscientiousness score might be perfectionistic enough. Whether someone would want to hire you: It all depends.

Yeah, you can divide it in as many categories as you want. I don't know if that would be helpful though. I think it would cause needless complexity to create archetypes with The Big 5.

I don't know, from my experience, every person I tested with a conscientiousness score of less than 50 was very unreliable as an individual. Geoffrey Miller tended to be of the same opinion in the book 'Spent', and you can find a few authors in the reference section of the book that would think the same.

Tai Lopez also uses this model for hiring. He doesn't even accept job applications if you don't have a score over 50 on agreeableness, conscientiousness and emotional stability (and even this estimation is conservative on my part) and if you don't have a score lower than 30-40 on each of the dark triad aspects.

Even if the person were actually reliable in reality with a low conscientiousness score, I would not bet on it and I would play it safe and I hire someone else. Now, to each his own, of course.

1 hour ago, Krisena said:

Not true at all. People can have many legitimate reasons for not wanting to take personality tests. To say that people have bad characteristics because they don't want to take a personality test is just wrong.

I totally agree. What I'm talking about is them being suspicious of you if you were curious about their results. That would be a red flag for me.

'Why do you want me to take the test? What are your hidden motives? Are you trying to exploit me? etc.'

That can indicate machiavellianism. Not necessarily, but I would watch out for it. People who are not manipulative usually aren't that paranoid. When you are manipulative you need to watch your back at every step for someone to get even or stab you in the back

1 hour ago, Krisena said:

It's no guarantee. People with these traits are just as likely to have already learned to blend in with society.

I don't quite get what you mean. Do you mean that they can be decent, functional members of society or do you mean that you can't identify them with these tests? Please clarify.

If it's the latter, yes, they do blend well in society, but you can identify them.

I had the most shocking realization when my roommate scored almost 100 in all the dark triad aspects. Worse, he was highly conscientious, charismatic, with a big success drive, and a high IQ. He could easily be a modern day Hitler. I analyzed his behavior over the course of a year. It's downright horrifying how they think, although it can be useful in certain environments.

This guy wants to become dean of the law university, and he told me all sorts of sneaky plans to fuck people over and get in power. He already applied some of them, and thus he is now vice president of a department in an international law community.

He tried to manipulate me many times, from little things to big things. If I didn't know his scores, I would be in deep shit right now.

I know how to thread when I'm around him now. He can never manipulate me now that I know the scores and he knows that too, so he made me some sort of ally because he knows I'm his polar opposite and he can benefit from it. He tells me all the manipulations he wants to do with the education system, law system, relationships he has etc.

Watch your backs, folks. It's no joke.

5 hours ago, Annoynymous said:

According to big 5,  I am -

Extraversion - 22 percentile

Emotional Stability - 39 percentile

Agreeableness - 76 percentile

Conscientiousness - 15 percentile

Intellect/Imagination - 80 percentile

anyone got any thought on this?

You are doing good. Like all of us, there is always room for improvement though.

Extraversion

• It's ok to be introverted if it doesn't limit you from doing certain things. If it does, you need to build self-confidence and self-esteem. I can suggest some resources if you have that problem.

Emotional stability

• If you have a high anxiety score, get specialized help or go through some books that will help you with it. Some that I recommend:
    • Letting Go by Dr. David R. Hawkins
    • The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook

Agreeableness

• Highly agreeable people usually have a hard time standing up for themselves. They avoid conflict at all costs. They smooth the water.
    • High agreeableness is balanced with assertiveness training
      • The Self-Authoring and Future Authoring program by Jordan Peterson
      • The Assertiveness Workbook
      • No More Mr. Nice Guy book
      • Mate by Geoffrey Miller (the chapter on the 'Tender Defender')
    • Other tips for highly agreeable people
      • Say exactly what you mean, even if the truth is nasty. 
      • Figure out what you want (create a vision and set goals)
        • This will help you observe when your boundaries are crossed

Conscientiousness

• Start to do things that require or build discipline
    • Do military service
    • Go to the gym a set number of times a week
    • Build good organizational habits
    • Go to bed and wake up at the same hour every day
    • Create weekly and daily schedules
    • Make your bed every morning
    • Work as an assistant for an important person
    • Work for go-getters

Intellect/Imagination

• This is basically 'Openness to Experience' - you are open to new ideas, concepts and experiences
    • Be careful because high openness to experience and low emotional stability is often correlated with mental illness and psychosis (we are in the same boat here). Evolutionary psychologists advise you to be very cautious in these cases.
      • Unless we work on our neurosis, there is a high chance for real psychological problems in the future. 
    • High openness can also make you believe all sorts of whacky ideas so also watch out for that. It's ok to transcend logic, but it's stupid to throw it away and not use it anymore. 

Yeah, you can divide it in as many categories as you want. I don't know if that would be helpful though. I think it would cause needless complexity to create archetypes with The Big 5.

You can't divide it into as many categories as you want, only as many as are reasonably independent from each other. If two sub-traits always move in the same direction (but are maybe offset by a little factor) then they are for intents and purposes the same trait.

What they're finding is that the big 5 traits can be broken down into new independent traits... Basically a more granular model.

For example, conscientiousness, which can be broken up into two major sub-traits: order and industriousness. We can all agree that both order and industriousness is a part of conscientiousness, but we can also see that order and industriousness are not the same thing. The degree to which you put your environment in order (which includes traits like perfectionism) and the degree to which you work hard. The statistics confirm this. People can actually be high in order and low in perfectionism and vice versa, though these sub-categories will be a bit more similar than the big 5 categories are similar to other big 5 categories.

Even if the person were actually reliable in reality with a low conscientiousness score, I would not bet on it and I would play it safe and I hire someone else. Now, to each his own, of course.

It depends on the job in question because different types of jobs are optimally filled by different personality styles.

And you also have to take into account that people who have experience and/or a high level of skills have found a way to work that suits their personality style, regardless of conscientiousness.

I am personally a low conscientiousness person, specifically high order/low industriousness. This means that I'm pretty lazy by nature. Does that mean that I'm lazy at work? No, because a job is a job and my livelihood depends on me doing it right. I will however value my free time and make sure I get a lot of extra time for idling, which means that you won't see me working myself to death for you.

People with high conscientiousness have other problems that people without high conscientiousness don't suffer from. I recommend checking out Jordan Peterson's lectures on the subject.

I totally agree. What I'm talking about is them being suspicious of you if you were curious about their results. That would be a red flag for me.

'Why do you want me to take the test? What are your hidden motives? Are you trying to exploit me? etc.'

That can indicate machiavellianism. Not necessarily, but I would watch out for it. People who are not manipulative usually aren't that paranoid. When you are manipulative you need to watch your back at every step for someone to get even or stab you in the back.

Isn't it only natural to be wary of people who want to know your personality? What motivations do they have for wanting to know what can potentially be very intimate and sensitive information that can easily be used to manipulate you? To me it seems more rational to be suspicious of the person who wants to know your personality than to be suspicious of the person who doesn't feel comfortable handing out that information.

In other words, I think this is 180 degrees the other way around - if anything, it indicates machiavellianism to want to know other people's personality profiles. However, that's also an exaggeration. The simple fact is that neither the degree to which you want to know someone's personality nor the degree to which you are willing to give other people insight into your personality is indicative of machiavellianism. There exists completely normal, down to earth, legitimate reasons for both.

Edited by Krisena

57 minutes ago, Dan Arnautu said:

You are doing good. Like all of us, there is always room for improvement though.

Extraversion

• It's ok to be introverted if it doesn't limit you from doing certain things. If it does, you need to build self-confidence and self-esteem. I can suggest some resources if you have that problem.

Emotional stability

• If you have a high anxiety score, get specialized help or go through some books that will help you with it. Some that I recommend:
    • Letting Go by Dr. David R. Hawkins
    • The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook

Agreeableness

• Highly agreeable people usually have a hard time standing up for themselves. They avoid conflict at all costs. They smooth the water.
    • High agreeableness is balanced with assertiveness training
      • The Self-Authoring and Future Authoring program by Jordan Peterson
      • The Assertiveness Workbook
      • No More Mr. Nice Guy book
      • Mate by Geoffrey Miller (the chapter on the 'Tender Defender')
    • Other tips for highly agreeable people
      • Say exactly what you mean, even if the truth is nasty. 
      • Figure out what you want (create a vision and set goals)
        • This will help you observe when your boundaries are crossed

Conscientiousness

• Start to do things that require or build discipline
    • Do military service
    • Go to the gym a set number of times a week
    • Build good organizational habits
    • Go to bed and wake up at the same hour every day
    • Create weekly and daily schedules
    • Make your bed every morning
    • Work as an assistant for an important person
    • Work for go-getters

Intellect/Imagination

• This is basically 'Openness to Experience' - you are open to new ideas, concepts and experiences
    • Be careful because high openness to experience and low emotional stability is often correlated with mental illness and psychosis (we are in the same boat here). Evolutionary psychologists advise you to be very cautious in these cases.
      • Unless we work on our neurosis, there is a high chance for real psychological problems in the future. 
    • High openness can also make you believe all sorts of whacky ideas so also watch out for that. It's ok to transcend logic, but it's stupid to throw it away and not use it anymore. 

well thank you for your recommendation, but I don't find these direct enough. You don't have to say that I am doing good, because first of all, if I am that much good, u wouldn't have given me so many recommendations. I myself feel that I have got lots of improvement in order to touch "good" mark.

I want you tell me exactly how you feel about my assesment result. if it shows some positives, tell it. if it shows some negative, tell it also. I need an honest review based on personal recommendation, not generalization.

It's important to understand that no score on the Big 5 is "good" or "bad" or "better" or "worse". It's not like in a role-playing game where if you score low in a stat you are "weak". All results have their ups and downs, depending on the context, and there's a place in the world for all people.

Ask not whether these traits are bad or good, instead ask how you should live your life to benefit/cope with the real world and how your personality can help you live the life you want to live, on your terms, and on the terms of the personality that is you.

That means that you shouldn't necessarily see your personality as something "to be improved upon" - in fact, the science shows that it's more or less impossible to change your Big 5 personality anyway.

Your personality is you, and while yes, it's important to fit into the world, it's a perspective that gets too heavily weighted in today's society where it's the buyer's market when it comes to labour. We are asked to sacrifice ourselves in the name of the corporations we work for.

Since your personality is you, you should instead seek to make the world into a place that will nurture you and place yourself in situations and contexts that synergize with your personality so that you can exist in the world as a healthy human being.

Edited by Krisena

10 minutes ago, Krisena said:

It's important to understand that no score on the Big 5 is "good" or "bad" or "better" or "worse". It's not like in a role-playing game where if you score low in a stat you are "weak". All results have their ups and downs, and there's a place in the world for all people. Ask not whether these traits are bad or good, instead ask how you should live your life to benefit/cope with the real world and how your personality can help you live the life you want to live, on your terms, and on the terms of the personality that is you.

That's a good explaination of the matter.

The question arises that when yoy know your personality type, do you make yourself fit into what reality demands, or you create your own reality according to your personality?

Edited by Annoynymous