Eric Tarpall

Why is single tasking so scary?

6 posts in this topic

I enjoy doing one activity for a long period of time but there's always fear and boredom barriers that I have to break through. For some reason multi tasking makes me feel safe. My theory is that single tasking is scary because by focusing on one thing you become blind to other opportunities. And it makes you feel like you're missing out on those opportunities.

Edited by Eric Tarpall

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

@Eric Tarpall Interesting insight. I can relate to this...

That boredom is emotionally difficult to over come, so we like to distract ourselves with little hits of stimulation, whether it be checking our phone or getting up to do something else for a while.

I'm working on correcting this by making myself sit and work for 20 or 25 minutes intensely at time, then taking a short break.

40 minutes ago, Sahil Pandit said:

I'm working on correcting this by making myself sit and work for 20 or 25 minutes intensely at time, then taking a short break.

That's pomodoro technique right? I think I prefer working for one hour and then have a 15 minute break.

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

Focus on one thing. If you fail you have failed 100%. Do many things at once. You won't fail everything but nothing will be 100%. Pick your poison. 

I prefer few things properly done.

5 hours ago, Eric Tarpall said:

I enjoy doing one activity for a long period of time but there's always fear and boredom barriers that I have to break through. For some reason multi tasking makes me feel safe. My theory is that single tasking is scary because by focusing on one thing you become blind to other opportunities. And it makes you feel like you're missing out on those opportunities.

Ego patterns of listening to music while doing something or watching tv while eating. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Avoidance to being in the NOW perhaps? Could this be relatable to the activity of sleep? 

Is there resistance to what is?