Damir Elezi

Starting to create a vision

8 posts in this topic

The following is an extract from my journal entry in the journal section today. I thought I'd post this here again to maybe start a discussion.

I started my day with another one of Leo's older videos (I noticed that the ones from 2014-2015 help me out the most at this point of my life. They really resonate with me), which I'll post down below again. It was about unleashing ambition and that everybody who feels a sense of ambition within himself/herself MUST find a way to channel this ambition and these talents into something good and contribute to the world. I have always felt this sense of ambition. Since 14 I wanted to become a rapper. Not just the regular rapper, rapping about cars, girls and jewelry, but a kind of conscious rapper, educating people in my songs and showing different perspectives, raising consciousness for important topics, as well as express my own feelings and inner demons in my music. I did start actually making and releasing music which didn't get me much success yet, but that's another story. But it doesn't even have to be rap any more. I do want to write something and express myself with that though.

I also feel like I can not simply live the regular cushy lifestyle with a 9 to 5 well-paying job, a nice family and safety all around. I feel like my life would be very empty then. I tried to write down what exactly my strengths and talents are, then I thought about what the world needs the most at the time, or what I would wish for the world the most right now. This is what I came up with:

My strengths and talents:
-Writing. I'm very good with languages.
-I always had a talent for music. Not like extraordinarily talented, but enough to become a good musician with some practice.
-A tendency for deep philosophical and big picture thinking.
-A strong drive
-I'm pretty open minded to new ideas and concepts.

What does the world need?
-More consciousness. Ecologically, morally and spiritually. On an individual and collective level.
-A fairer distribution of basic material goods, so that everybody in the world could at least get his material needs met.
-Solutions or coping strategies for the climate crisis.
-Love, compassion, equality and collective well-being replacing progress, growth, personal freedom and fairness as core values of the world (Moving from stage orange to stage green on the spiral).

What carreer can I pursue to contribute to that?
-Writer/poet
-Philosopher
-Rapper/Poetry slammer
-Musician working with children and teenagers on social project

I don't know much yet. I just know that I want to write stuff and that I want to change the world to the better and have as much fun as I can while doing that. What would I do with my life if not that? Considering buying the Life Purpose course.

What do you think? What does the world need the most? What are your strenghts and talents? Do you guys also feel a drive towards creating something meaningful? Do you, as people who don't really know me, see other carreer options in these properties? Are you working on your life purpose?

That's awesome that you wanna be a conscious rapper.

I used to think that the 9 to 5 and family lifestyle was empty, but recently I realized that the work you do to contribute to your community and the family you build are two of the most important things, and there are good reasons why everyone works from 9 to 5 and chills on the weekends, because we're working together as a society. And if you find a career that interests you and gives you purpose, then having a stable job isn't so bad. That doesn't mean you should give up on your artistic dreams though. Just don't assume that every alternative is bad.

Based on your talents and observations about the world, I'd say you're on a very good path to happiness and success. 

I'd suggest continuing to work on yourself, grow and develop, and also continuing to practice the skills you think you might need (writing, rapping, philosophizing, interacting with young-ins, etcetera) to pursue what you love and change the world.

One of the things I have been thinking about doing is going the opposite way. Instead of alining my passion with my profession I've been thinking of picking something the world is desperate for and then forcing myself to master that skill. 

That way I grow my level of discipline and I'm guaranteed a great income. 

Thoughts?

Get the #1 Productivity Hack for 2019 (That no one knows about) Get it Here!

@xoxoxwillxoxox Thanks for your reply and your support! You're right, I might be a little too judgemental about the 9-5 work life and everybody following it. Thank you for pointing that out!

@Chase Ellfeldt Well, it's very noble that you take society's needs first and don't consider your own desires. Could work, however some problems come to mind. 

1. It is very hard to determine what the world really needs. The things I listed in my post were just my point of view, other people might see it very differently. 
2. Even if we knew what the world is desperate for, we still didn't know how to channel it properly, so it would actually become a successful business. 
3. Forcing yourself to do something you don't have a natural passion for can be very soul-robbing. If I forced myself to become a programmer and deal with IT stuff all day every day, I would be pretty miserable, even if it was for a good cause. Because I don't have any talent or passion about it. 

A work like this is very intense and it takes a lot of time that has to go into it. For me that means that it should actually be connected to your deepest desires, passions and talents, so that you experience a lot of flow-moments and can practice your signature strengths in your daily life (read about positive psychology to find out more about those terms. A book I can recommend is "authentic happiness" by Martin Seligman). This way you're not only doing something good for the world, but you actually feel fulfilled, happy and on the peek of your performance while working. 

Don't dismiss the beneficial structure of a 9-5 job.
It gives you the foundation for many things:

• Contribution to society
  • Fulfilment in working hard everyday and being productive
  • Security to take risks
  • Financial means to pursue your passions

When I worked nights while everyone I cared about worked 9-5, I never got to spend time with them. It was boring and lonely, being out of sync with the world.
Now that I work 9-5, I am in sync, and my friends and I can all hang out together because we both have that time set aside for fun things. It works really well for my social life and need for connection.

@Knock I get that, but it's not mainly the time-aspect that turns me off. What turns me off is being empoyed by somebody else, doing stuff I don't really enjoy doing