Peo

Do nothing vs vipassana meditation

7 posts in this topic

I am having difficulty finding out what to choose bettween these two techniques, they are both pretty powerful technigues.

According to Shinzen Young the do nothing helps with turining off your monkey mind for a while, but that it is a long term benefit.

I have heard that the vipassana meditation is used to attain enlightenment.

They are so different from each other so does that mean they also have different benefits? What do you think i should choose?

@SriBhagwanYogi

I already have a self inquiry practice, i don't know what the meaning with this comment was but okay

Is it so difficult to not think daily, just use awareness, you do not need to sit, shit, or do nothing special to practice it, only if you have serious problems with it. 

@Peo  If you're just starting out, I would suggest doing vipassana first, so you can build up your mindfulness skills. Then you can switch to the do nothing technique or do both. I personally do both depending on my mood.

It helps to have a baseline level of mindfulness for the do nothing technique, otherwise most of your meditation sit will be just pure monkey mind.

Edited by onacloudynight

7 hours ago, Peo said:

I am having difficulty finding out what to choose bettween these two techniques, they are both pretty powerful technigues.

According to Shinzen Young the do nothing helps with turining off your monkey mind for a while, but that it is a long term benefit.

I have heard that the vipassana meditation is used to attain enlightenment.

They are so different from each other so does that mean they also have different benefits? What do you think i should choose?

They are apparently different. Fundamentally, all techniques aim at the same thing. "Quieting the monkey mind", "Eternal bliss" "Enlightenment" are like carrots for our donkey. 

Choose the carrot you prefer most and follow it, see if this path works for you, if not you are free to change it at any point. 

Explore and see what fits you. A word of advice, when you choose then stick with it. You might be lost in choosing techniques and changing stuff which is distracting. When you sit down focus on one technique at the very least.