MsNobody

Rogan and Jordan Peterson

8 posts in this topic

I personally don’t like Jordan Peterson but it seems like he is dominating/ brainwashing the mind of my male friends, from what I’ve heard so far his teachings are not compatible with my values, but I also think I shouldn’t judge because I haven’t seen many of his videos, lectures etc. Can someone explain to me why (specially) men love him so much? 

I posted the picture below because that’s how I feel when I (try to) listen to his videos, my mind just can’t swallow, it’s almost impossible for me to listen to him for more than 5 min, which makes it difficult for me to comprehend his way of thinking and his theories, is this just me being ignorant and lazy or is that my intuition telling me to stay away? 

413131B7-3A0F-4F53-A807-1BDC487385E6.png

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

Also your male friend's behaviors are completely determined.

He seems to have gone from a Psychology Professor to a Personal Development Content Provider.  I admire the career change.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Personally I think it’s just a reaction to the resistance of the revelation of how society, culture, morality, etc. is relative. I have a few coworkers who’ve been reacting to this and have talked about JP in this light where they’ve said to me how everything being relative is dangerous. 

However, in another light, I think Jordan Peterson has a particular resonance among young millennial white males who, like myself admittedly, have gotten mentally weak for a variety of different reasons (turbulent emotional upbringing, coddled through life, feeling absolutely stuck in victim mindset and like a slave to your minds conditioning, etc.). For me I can really feel it in what we might say as his emotional undercurrent in the way he talks about ownership, being a hero, standing by your personal rules and code of conduct (very - healthy in my opinion - blue), and taking back your life and standing up to the darkness of yourself and of society. You feel this a lot when you’re involved in sports (particularly team sports) and this very male energy of ‘I’m going to stand tall despite my inner demons and I’m going to embrace them, own them, and stand by what I believe and what I stand for even in the face of both inner and outer opposition.’ You see this attitude reflected a lot even just by seeing the kinda workout motivation stuff on YouTube and Instagram. Again, it’s like the undercurrent that really drives that. It’s a very male energy that I don’t think a lot of men understand why they tend to be sucked into his message. 

Its that very male (almost primal) aggressive energy (it’s really more of an energy than it is an attitude) of ‘I’m going to take it all. I’m going to embrace the inner and outer demons of my life and stand up for what’s right.’ The problem though is that energy is both very polarizing and also just kills happiness. I know this personally because both actually apply to me. I really had that aggressive attitude in sports and really carried that without even knowing it. It really hurts you. I’m not a fan of JP but I notice now that I actually debate very much like him. I used to wonder for the longest time why I’m so polarizing to people and looking at JP really shows me why. You really can’t be happy going through life this way. You’re constantly judging and projecting. It’s really toxic and a really bad habit that’s hard to unwire because that’s a survival tool to defend yourself in the clan/herd. It’s like a way of protecting yourself. I hope he outgrows it. I really don’t wish it on people. If he worked on just this one thing he’d become such a healthier figure. I think he means well deep down but he just has some shadows to work on and really drop this whole thing. 

Edited by kieranperez

1 hour ago, MsNobody said:

I personally don’t like Jordan Peterson but it seems like he is dominating/ brainwashing the mind of my male friends, from what I’ve heard so far his teachings are not compatible with my values, but I also think I shouldn’t judge because I haven’t seen many of his videos, lectures etc. Can someone explain to me why (specially) men love him so much? 

Care to elaborate on what you've heard and how he's influenced the people you know? I've watched quite a bit of Jordan Peterson and I find him quite inspiring. However, he's intense and a bit of a one-trick pony. For people stuck in the victim mindset, or stuck in a shitty life situation, JP is great. He taught me to take responsibility for my life in ways I didn't realize I had to. I had a number of blindspots and he helped open my eyes to them.

I feel where he's lacking is on the acceptance end of the spectrum. Self-acceptance is a very challenging aspect of self-development. We'll never be perfect, but we can all use some improvement. Paradoxically, it's impossible to make improvements when you don't accept who you are. I don't think that JP addresses this nearly as much as he should.

@MsNobody All I can recommend is try to look past your judgement and take the time yourself to investigate. I´d personally recommend his biblical lectures or maps of meaning.

Unfortunately if you have judged him so much that you cannot stand to even listen to what a person has to say it seems that the struggle here for you is not about JP but about yourself.

Generally ppl around me who have taken the time to listen to JP are not so hostile and ppl who havent say what you say. I believe this is because the media loves to hate JP as clickbate news reports.

Also I am neither for or against JP. He brings some good to the world and some bad. It helps some people who are at a stage in life and doesnt help some. What I don´t understand is people who isnt in need of his teaching bash on him. If he helps others can´t he just be allowed to do that?

Edited by luckieluuke