winterknight

If you want to learn the spiritual path, read the ancient texts!

36 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

@Angelite Hellspeed is not enlightened, he's just delusional.

Hahhaha he did, but still experimenting:D

Edited by Angelite

5 hours ago, ajasatya said:

i'm here to suggest the very opposite. simply BE.

There are two ways to enlightenment^_^. And it's personal preference~or whatever feels more natural to the person.

Edited by Angelite

I am reading I AM THAT by Nisargadatta and it's blowing my mind. He's so clear.

But I want to continue reading the Bhagavad Gita (I already have a copy) and then The Upanishads.

:-)

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

4 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

Massive confusion when people just say the general name of the book and nothing about the translator. There are a gazillion different translations of each book.

I will post that soon, I don't have the books with me and I am not at home right now. I will fix that ASAP.

I remember the Bhagavad Gita being a translation from the Hare Krishnas. (Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada )

Edited by abrakamowse

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

28 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

@winterknight

I want to read these 4 books, but I'm very confused about which translation of them is best. Is the following translations best or do you recommend some else?

Astavakra Samhita - Swami Nityaswarupananda

The Concise Yoga Vasistha - Swami Venkatesananda

The Ribhu Gita - Dr. H. Ramamoorthy

The Upanishads, 2nd Edition - Eknath Easwaran

(And I already know you recommend Swami Tapasyanandas translation of Bhagavad Gita. I will try to read it too.)

Edit: sigh, there's even more:

Which translation of the Zhuangzi, Tao te Ching, and the work of Bodhidharma?

Ashtavakra -- I'd go with Bart Marshall at first

CYV -- yes

Ribhu Gita - yes

Upanishads -- yes, fine

Zhuangzi - Ziporyn

Tao te Ching - Tolbert McCarroll

Bodhidharma - Red Pine 

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

30 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

I am reading I AM THAT by Nisargadatta and it's blowing my mind. He's so clear.

But I want to continue reading the Bhagavad Gita (I already have a copy) and then The Upanishads.

I found it...

I AM THAT

Translated by Maurice Frydman (Author), Sudhakar S. Dikshit (Editor)

Published by http://www.acornpressonline.com/

1 minute ago, Mikael89 said:

Why did you say "at first"? Is it enough that I read that translation, or should I also read some other translation after I have read that?

It's awesome that two of the books on my list are free. Otherwise I probably would have had to import them from USA (amazon).

He takes a few liberties with the translation, but he's very poetic and readable. None of the translations of Ashtavakra are perfect. If you like an ancient scripture, it's always recommended to read it in other translations.

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

:D

On 2/10/2019 at 6:18 PM, Mikael89 said:

Ah I see. Like Swami Sarvapriyananda said: it loses some of its power in english.

At 1:09:00 

This monk is great at simplifying and making the ancient texts easy to grasp,and more importantly,implement. 
If you want to be schooled on what true,real Advaita Vedanta (Jnana) is, this monk is definitely one to listen to.

3 steps of implementing
1.Listen attentively and understand (put all opinions,judgments,personal beliefs/ideas etc., aside).
2.Contemplate what was said
3.Meditate on what was said until it is verified by your personal experience.

Knowledge from the ancient texts are Truth. One verse can awaken anyone, as It is all Truth.
Listen (or read), contemplate, meditate. 

Why contemplation,meditation,devotion (supplemental practices) etc.,?

The Pali canon is I think the earliest Buddhist canonical text. Apparently it survived because it was in Sri Lanka, where as Islamic conquerors destroyed the religious texts where Buddhism was founded.  There's an anthology of the Pali canon on Audible.

I would be interested in looking at Jain texts, but the religion looks like a bit of a mess, with two main sects, so not entirely sure where to start.

Is good enough how the  christians interpret the Bible?

How You wanna adopt that to the present moment?

Edited by tedens

1 hour ago, tedens said:

Where am I while sleeping without dreaming?

Do you have any location when you are in deep sleep?

5 minutes ago, tedens said:

If I would didn't ask.

That means that you know.... you have no location.

^_^

Because you don't know the location, that means there's no location. Because you are the only one who can know at that moment, that means the world is not there. We imagine that there's a world while we are in deep sleep... but your direct experience says no.

Edited by abrakamowse