F A B

Are there any valuable films to watch?

49 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2018 at 0:20 AM, Krisena said:

Hyper-seconded. The Tree of Life is my favorite movie of all time. Another good Malick movie is The Thin Red Line.

In turn, I'll recommend Wong-Kar Wai's Ashes of Time.

Yep. Tree of life.

People seem to be posting intellectually stimulating films, but for an emotional (or even transcendental) experience that's the opposite of what you want. So, off the top of my head, here's my Top 11 films for emotional-fascination/stimulation:

Samsara;  Baraka;  Yellow Submarine (1968);  Land of the Lustrous;  Mushishi;  Avatar the Last Airbender;  Enter the Void (do NOT watch on acid); Elfen Lied;  Kino no Tabi;  Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou;  Cardcaptor Sakura

Note:  The first 5 (esp. the first 3) are not really suitable for sober-watching (imo).  The intellect must be properly turned off first and foremost.  

Some all of these may seem weird, but that's because, the way I see it, they're not intended for human consumption.  They require the right kind of altered state of consciousness or you won't truly "get" it.  This is the shortcut to Turquoisehood and I would recommend.

Can't be bothered to list normal films (people still watch those? lol)

In regards to Samsara, I think I now see what's going on.  I've watched it a few times, yet other people tend to always perceive it differently to me.  It seems it can be viewed from 3 main perspectives:  Green, Yellow, Turquoise (partly as noone else would watch it, lol). 

Greens tend to see it as "The Poor Starving Kids in Africa, the Movie", or "Humans, the Shocking Truth.. Uncovered!".  Before I knew of SD, such views always struck me as odd; but they make perfect sense now in context. 

Yellow would say "Samsara is such an amazing project, I'm astonished such beautiful minds exist.  That said, I couldn't help feeling they tried too hard pushing their own agenda.  Still, endeavouring to gift others with direct experience of radically different perspectives of life.. this is a form of entertainment far ahead of its time.  If only I could share this and help others understand.. I would love nothing more than to get others up to the point where they can see the beauty in existence itself". 

Turquoise:  "I could stare at those clouds for all eternity; they are so blissful.  Samsara/Baraka are films with the personality of a Turquose monk.  Wise enough to know that the only way to teach is indirectly, through example;  through presence;  through pure, unspoken intention.  Just being there, so others learn to do the same.  You need efficient teachers to make efficient teachers; you need calm teachers to make calm teachers.  Samsara demonstrates an understanding of this and sees no need to say anything.  Even if there was an agenda, it's a work of art nonetheless."

I've only experienced it from Turquoise (as I didn't want to taint my experiences with it), but I think my analysis is pretty accurate.  To conclude:  It's a Turquoise level film and the current consensus of it is skewed towards a Green perspective due to Green's overwhelming prevalence, in comparison to T2 stages.  (Just a quick, objective analysis). 

Edited by nitramadas

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

12 angry man- It show how to search answer open mindedly, not in close minded way.

Schindler list is a must watch to understand about death more deeply and quickly.

You can also watch all the war movies and dramas like Black hawk down, saving private ryan, band of brothers, hacksaw ridge.

Then there's also the ancient war movies like Troy, King Arthur, Gladiator, Brave heart, 300 etc

And there are Samurai movies like The 7 samurais and The last Samurai to know more about the way of the Samurais.

If you want more contemporary films, check out Fight Club, Peaceful Warrior.

Edited by hyruga

10 hours ago, nitramadas said:

People seem to be posting intellectually stimulating films, but for an emotional (or even transcendental) experience that's the opposite of what you want. So, off the top of my head, here's my Top 11 films for emotional-fascination/stimulation:

Samsara;  Baraka;  Yellow Submarine (1968);  Land of the Lustrous;  Mushishi;  Avatar the Last Airbender;  Enter the Void (do NOT watch on acid); Elfen Lied;  Kino no Tabi;  Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou;  Cardcaptor Sakura

Note:  The first 5 (esp. the first 3) are not really suitable for sober-watching (imo).  The intellect must be properly turned off first and foremost.  

Some all of these may seem weird, but that's because, the way I see it, they're not intended for human consumption.  They require the right kind of altered state of consciousness or you won't truly "get" it.  This is the shortcut to Turquoisehood and I would recommend.

Can't be bothered to list normal films (people still watch those? lol)

In regards to Samsara, I think I now see what's going on.  I've watched it a few times, yet other people tend to always perceive it differently to me.  It seems it can be viewed from 3 main perspectives:  Green, Yellow, Turquoise (partly as noone else would watch it, lol). 

Greens tend to see it as "The Poor Starving Kids in Africa, the Movie", or "Humans, the Shocking Truth.. Uncovered!".  Before I knew of SD, such views always struck me as odd; but they make perfect sense now in context. 

Yellow would say "Samsara is such an amazing project, I'm astonished such beautiful minds exist.  That said, I couldn't help feeling they tried too hard pushing their own agenda.  Still, endeavouring to gift others with direct experience of radically different perspectives of life.. this is a form of entertainment far ahead of its time.  If only I could share this and help others understand.. I would love nothing more than to get others up to the point where they can see the beauty in existence itself". 

Turquoise:  "I could stare at those clouds for all eternity; they are so blissful.  Samsara/Baraka are films with the personality of a Turquose monk.  Wise enough to know that the only way to teach is indirectly, through example;  through presence;  through pure, unspoken intention.  Just being there, so others learn to do the same.  You need efficient teachers to make efficient teachers; you need calm teachers to make calm teachers.  Samsara demonstrates an understanding of this and sees no need to say anything.  Even if there was an agenda, it's a work of art nonetheless."

I've only experienced it from Turquoise (as I didn't want to taint my experiences with it), but I think my analysis is pretty accurate.  To conclude:  It's a Turquoise level film and the current consensus of it is skewed towards a Green perspective due to Green's overwhelming prevalence, in comparison to T2 stages.  (Just a quick, objective analysis). 

@nitramadas Baraka is my number one favorite film. I've probably seen it six times. I've only watched it from Stage Green, including over 15 years ago in high school, where I was actually more like Orange/Green, but I still had a similar Turquoise experience that you had. I remember watching it was like a spiritual journey (I was completely sober). I disagree that you need to be on drugs to "get it." It's truly a breathtaking piece of art that clearly has the ability to transcend even the Spiral Dynamics' lens through which we normally view the world. In that way, it can be like a psychedelic trip in itself. 

That said, I really appreciate your breakdown and detailed explanation! I've seen Samsara once before when it first came out. I'm going to rewatch it now from a mostly Stage Yellow perspective and see how the experience plays out. 

Another film series I'd recommend is HUMANS vol 1-3. It's very much inline with Baraka/Samsara. Made by Stage Green filmmakers (was partly funded by the UN actually) but there's very little Green "agenda" and could totally be experienced as a Turquoise work of art. Enjoy!

Another good one on a lighter note is the documentary Babies (NOT the Netflix series, the original documentary in 2010). Like Samsara, there's no words, just raw footage of four babies living on four continents from birth to 1 year birthday. It's a super fun watch and hard not to completely fall in love with humanity after seeing it :)

Edited by tuckerwphotography

You gotta learn to run simulations. That's all that films teach, what simulations you haven't run and learned from yet. Today I was murdered by a librarian for example, taught me to be more careful around libraries. Just because they look cute with glasses and speak with a polite innocent tone doesn't mean they don't spend all their time reading about anatomy and murder mysteries to cover up their tracks.

@tuckerwphotography

"Baraka is my number one favorite film"
Wow, that's unusual to hear.  Guess it was worth staying on this forum.. (I've never known anyone with even the slightest interest in this type of content).

"I disagree that you need to be on drugs to get it."
I expected this response.  There's no way of communicating the importance of drugs, you literally die (as a part of the ego).  Forever.  It's never coming back.  Perspective is changed forver.  I'm not saying you lose the whole ego, but a part of it.  But you also gain far more than just losing ego.  It's not unlikely I will never EVER experience the happiness I did while watching some of the stuff I did on drugs.  You could say I wasn't human while watching it.  I didn't at all identify with my human self.  Had I done the "right thing" (had I asked any Blue about taking drugs and followed their advice) I would've lost out on the greatest experience I've ever had, and maybe ever will (in waking consciousness).  One of the most important things I've learned is to give zero weight to the opinions of those at a lower stage to me.  Including my parents/teachers/almost-everyone-I-know.  Might sound mean/arrogant/illogical/"surely there's something valuable you could learn from from?", but nope.  There's SUCH a massive difference between Yellow and Blue, for example, that any influence whatsoever from Blue would be counter-productive.  Sure, challenges are good here and there, but you generally want the "best man for the job" in everything.  You want the best engineer to work as an engineer, best designer to work as a designer, etc.  When it comes to the stages, it's like:  "You want the highest stage".  That's it.  A higher stage human is a higher stage human, higher is always better in every way.  Taking advice from Blue, unless it's something specific, is generally a bad idea.  The stages "transcend & include", so even if the Blues have an overwhelming consensus for what you should do, if you disagree, *as long as your intuition tells you you're right*, you should ignore the Blues almost entirely.  (Note: This going against the forum's consensus.. lol)

"It's truly a breathtaking piece of art that clearly has the ability to transcend even the Spiral Dynamics' lens through which we normally view the world"
Yeah, though I think "Turquoise" is pretty much the optimal/intended "big picture" lens, anything lower would be skewing things in some way.  I'd say Turquoise is like the intended "mode", but mapping all the subtle perspectives you can find in a film like Baraka would be like trying to create mental distinctions between 16.7 million colors.  There's too much complexity to ever properly map, but Turquoise is enough to just say you'll experience "it" without too much projection/unwanted-bias. 

'Perspectives Within Turquoise' would be a fun topic though, I've actually been thinking about it for a while now.  What's the difference between someone who turns Turquoise at 50, and someone who turns Turquoise at 20?  Does one have a more "solid" Turquoise?  Well, most Turquoists that I know of have been Turquoise since a young age, they never went through a period of intellectual development (that often accompanies Yellow) as they go through it so fast.  Their "flavor" of Turquoise is very different as a result.  They are never/almost-never artistic/ambitious/theoretical/up-to-date/etc.  As far as I know, there's noone who's ever spoken on this.  Although you can see some clouds in Samsara through a million different perspectives, there should be some number of Types-of-Turquoise.  I've also noticed that people often fall into an 'inbetween stage' eg. "an orange green" or "a yellow turquoise".  All this indicates to me that SD is incomplete and should be between 4x to 16x higher in resolution (just additional subdivisions).  

"I'm going to rewatch it now from a mostly Stage Yellow perspective and see how the experience plays out."
I really love the introduction to it.  youtu.be/MRWZ7-M4gCg  I get so overwhelmed with emotion every single time..  I can't really imagine watching this at Yellow though.  You're either "there" or you're not.  I just get glimpses of memories of my times at TotalTurquoise (or whatever you'd call it).  It's the radical emotional openness that you want on TOP of plain old Turquoise (you could say a "hyperactive heart chakra").  But most important of all, you can't watch it with "human conditioning".  E.g. A car is a car, right?  Nothing crazy here.  But then you take psychedellics and ..suddenly, a car isn't a car.  It's like you're seeing it for the first time EVER!  Realizing that you have a human body!  Thinking "holy shit! I'm really inside this thing!"  But only when the normalization has worn off do you experience this..

"Another film series I'd recommend is HUMANS vol 1-3. "
Woah, that's some trippy shit, will definitely watch this.  All those face close ups though.. Going TOO far is also a concern, I've frequently gone too far and.. it's not always worth it.  There was I time when I was in search for the objective/definitive perspective "maybe if I understand everything I'll come up with the ULTIMATE perspective!" (this was back in my YoungYellow days).  But then I started going deep ..too deep, and gained some OTT insane post-post-post-post-radical perspectives which were usually cool AF, but since I wanted the objective truth, and I wanted to solve the "problem" of "existence" once and for all, shit got weird very often ..for weeks.  And it was usually due to stuff like.. that.  Scenery/culture/positive-emotion are safer and the most enjoyable.  It's like they made it for acid, but have never actually used it themselves.  I'll still probably watch it.

"Another good one on a lighter note is the documentary Babies"
Uhh, ok that's certainly very Green.  Might be a bit too "happy" for me, though.  I need a certain amount of "depth".  It seems to be a "heart chakra simulator" or something.  I'm sure it's very effective at opening one's heart chakra but.. it's like I've already completed that level.  At least that's how it feels.  I guess I feel it wouldn't engage all my senses and wouldn't be inspirational enough (I love the depth in the volcano clouds in the Samsara intro, I see a thousand 3D skulls in the smoke : )

Edited by nitramadas

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:59 PM, longusername12345 said:

Yes Man- zeal, passion for life, fuck perfectionism

Being John Malkovich- perspective, consciousness

The Truman Show- escaping mental prisons

The Matrix- nature of reality

Samsara- the current state of our world

Spring Summer Fall Winter... And Finally Spring- cycles, karma, lots of hidden meaning

Way of the Peaceful Warrior- flow state, the power of the now, practical wisdom applicable to everything

Inner Worlds Outer Worlds (available on YouTube)- thought, turning inwards

District 9- love, forgiveness

Perks of Being a Wallflower- realizing God, love, adolescence

The Babysitter- overcoming fear

Ex Machina- consciousness

Her- passion, love, relationships

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- relationships, authenticity, forgiveness

Newness- radical Honesty, relationships

Mr Right- flow state, fucking morality in the ass

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind made me cry after not crying for a year. and the truman show made me not give a fuck about what anyone says anymore. i’m sure the other movies are just as moving

11 hours ago, UNZARI said:

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind made me cry after not crying for a year. and the truman show made me not give a fuck about what anyone says anymore. i’m sure the other movies are just as moving

You should see "I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)". Just seen this movie last night and it is a fucking gem. So weird but so brilliant. It is like God speaking to you like an old fartard but then it gets more and more serious.

Oh, the divine comedy 9_9

Edited by Member

On 12.11.2020 at 11:24 AM, Member said:

Vivarium

:D

Vivarium is such a crappy movie imo

couldn't finish it

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (German: Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes), known in the UK as Aguirre, Wrath of God, is a 1972 epichistorical drama film produced, written and directed by Werner Herzog. Klaus Kinski stars in the title role. The soundtrack was composed and performed by West German kosmischeband Popol Vuh. The story follows the travels of Spanish soldier Lope de Aguirre, who leads a group of conquistadores down the Amazon River in South America in search of the legendary city of gold, El Dorado.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@F A B

Koyaanisqatsi is quite powerful.

This short film by Weval is a mind-fuck: 

=]  <3