7thLetter

If passion is needed to stay consistent in one's endeavors, then..

51 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, 7thLetter said:

@kieranperez I don’t even feel like breaking it down right now.

Is that your own opinion or did you get that idea from a reputable source

Yeah. Direct experience. Probably the best reputable source I can think of. 

I don’t care if you agree or disagree. I don’t need some lecture. You want to understand how you work? Observe.

This post is about passion and consistency with work. In the end yes passion but you also need just as much commitment and discipline.

@kieranperez Of course direct experience is the best teacher, but at the same time ego, false beliefs, and all that exists.

Ask a catholic who blessed him with his money and health? “Jesus my lord and savior of course, he was in my direct experience.”

Ask a psychologically dysfunctional guy with money and relationship issues, how to get money and girls? “Oh people get rich by scamming people and being greedy. Girls? Girls are only attracted to looks and money.” Where did you get those beliefs? “Direct experience.”

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, 7thLetter said:

@kieranperez Of course direct experience is the best teacher, but at the same time ego, false beliefs, and all that exists.

Ask a catholic who blessed him with his money and health? “Jesus my lord and savior of course, he was in my direct experience.”

Ask a psychologically dysfunctional guy with money and relationship issues, how to get money and girls? “Oh people get rich by scamming people and being greedy. Girls? Girls are only attracted to looks and money.” Where did you get those beliefs? “Direct experience.”

This means absolutely nothing. Yes if you ask most people on the street if they’re happy most of them are lying both to themselves and to you. All because say they experience things directly doesn’t mean they do. I’m not asking you to believe me. I couldn’t give 2 shits if you believe me if I understand through direct experience or through “reputable sources.” I don’t need nor care to prove anything to you. I can’t prove to you through words (much less behind a screen) that I know this and I don’t care to. 

You cant know what produces thoughts and emotions without knowing directly what an emotion is and what a thought is. If you haven’t awakened to what the substance of a thought is and what an emotion is, you will not and cannot understand how they work and how they come to pass. 

@kieranperez Okay fine if you don’t care what I think then I’ll let you know what I think.

My whole point is that it seems like you’re denying the fact that emotions are created by thoughts because that’s hard to accept. “So my own thoughts create my own depression? Nope that’s false I better deny it.”

If you don’t care then don’t get triggered at this.

Leo has a video on depression, if you don’t want to hear it from me then hear it from him. Its an old 2015-2016 vid. He mentions its the person’s psychology that creates the depression.

Edited by 7thLetter

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

It is not that simple , you can experience emotions without thoughts, just as you can think thoughts without emotions ,emotions can create thoughts , thoughts can make emotions surface, emotions can be attached to thoughts.

@purerogue To add onto that, I think a lot of our emotions are based on our own perceptions.

Someone with barely any money would be upset and/or angry that they lost 5 grand.

Someone who is rich and loses 5 grand says “whatever” with no attachments.

So a lot of it is psychological, most of our emotions come about on a sub-conscious level. When I say thoughts create emotion, it doesn’t have to mean our conscious thoughts, but also our sub-conscious.

Self-actualization and spirituality teaches you how to control your emotions. So “negative” emotions aren’t the norm and happen to everyone.

Let’s say we take the self-actualized person put him in the same exact negative situation as a non-self-actualized person. Maybe, death of their family in a car crash. Self-actualized person would be slightly upset, based on his level of development, but wouldn’t be as bothered as the non self-actualized. The non self-actualized would probably have a mental breakdown and kill himself.

Emotions are not attached to thoughts on base level, thoughts on them self do not create emotions, we can only attach emotions to thought.

I'm not 100% certain passion is necessary. I think discipline takes the high ground if your goal requires hard work over time. Passion is very American and people outside America work much harder than Americans. But, because our society is set up the way it is we are able to achieve wealth without discipline. 

There are plenty of examples in history of extremely hard-working people who are not passionate about their work. I think passion helps but I'm not convinced its necessary. 

Now can you imagine what it would be like to have that level of discipline in modern-day America? That is how billionaires are made. 

Get the #1 Productivity Hack for 2019 (That no one knows about) Get it Here!

2 hours ago, Chase Ellfeldt said:

I'm not 100% certain passion is necessary. I think discipline takes the high ground if your goal requires hard work over time. Passion is very American and people outside America work much harder than Americans. But, because our society is set up the way it is we are able to achieve wealth without discipline. 

There are plenty of examples in history of extremely hard-working people who are not passionate about their work. I think passion helps but I'm not convinced its necessary. 

Now can you imagine what it would be like to have that level of discipline in modern-day America? That is how billionaires are made. 

I don't know, I think that's a rather out-dated approach.. while I agree that discipline is very important, without intrinsic motivation you will easily burn out. If your why is strong enough it will give you so much strength. And if that is combined with discipline, then you can accomplish basically anything. 

On 12/20/2018 at 1:47 PM, Pilgrim said:

I don't know, I think that's a rather out-dated approach.. while I agree that discipline is very important, without intrinsic motivation you will easily burn out. If your why is strong enough it will give you so much strength. And if that is combined with discipline, then you can accomplish basically anything. 

I completely agree with you in that both are better than either or. I just wanted to highlight discipline because I see a lot of people get hung up on trying to find their passion. They feel that they can't do anything until they find their passion when you should work to discover your passion. 

Get the #1 Productivity Hack for 2019 (That no one knows about) Get it Here!

@Chase Ellfeldt So if you disciplined yourself enough to develop a passion for unicorns and built a business around it, you would be able to sustain it for 5-10 years?