Zigzag Idiot

Zigzag Idiot and the ladder of Objective Reason

1,790 posts in this topic

The Science of Idiotism is about the hindrances to becoming a Self Realized Being, plus other stuff. The term Idiot here is drawing an the old Greek usage of it as: being oneself,,unpretentious ,,,, But it is used also simultaneously as the standard modern usage of fool because until we 'have our Being', life is experienced on the emotional pendulum connected with dualistic thinking and we are pretty much just a torture to the world, of some kind or other. I used to be an a epic complainer in addition to Alcoholic and coward. After that, I went around depressed and with a long sad face because I couldn't drink alcohol and party it up forever. Some people can but I realized I couldn't.

The Science of Idiotism is a little known teaching from the mystic George Gurdjieff. Bruno Martins - The Realized Idiot - is about the only book written solely about The Science of Idiotism. It's very good. I recommend it.

You can find a little here and there with a google search.

Zigzag idiot is #9 on the Ladder of Reason. Of all the Idiots, I thought this one made the best screen name. I've been working on my self for a few years doing self inquiry. Keeping this Journal out here in front of God and everybody meshes well with the Gurdjieff work of Self Observation and Self Remembering. The whole lot of us are just bad full of bullshit, says Gurdjieff. Justifying,,, self deception,,, Kundabuffer he called it in his book Beelzebub's Tales To His Grandson. 

I really like AH Almaas's The Diamond Approach. It's Gurdjieff,,, modernized plus psychological explanation of things like our defenses against inadequacy. Is it a schizoid splitting off and sticking ones head in the sand? or do we employ a Grandiose self  to shield against inadequacy. This work which includes, very much processing our shadow material can be very painful and destabilizing. Being light hearted can amount to good strategy if it can be sincere and natural. This Work teaches we project any repressed guilt we may have out onto others. I've observed this in myself over time.

Also, we don't have to be negative. The practice of not expressing negative emotions has shown me the existence of my own spiritual sleep. We wake up and although might never sleep as deeply again, spiritually, we take naps as E.J. Gold put it. It's very difficult sometimes to just simply feel , without repressing negative emotions and not give expression to them. It pays out big dividends in 'spiritual coin' though. Remind me of this, if, in later post, I go off on a angry emotional rant.

Edited by Zigzag Idiot
Add a couple words. Remove a comma.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

I really appreciate Leo Gura and his initiative. I've been a part time student of Spiral Dynamics for years in part by following Ken Wilbur off and on.

My Self actualization is ongoing and includes 20 minute Centering Prayer meditation twice a day for the past two years. To get clued in to my own egotism on a daily basis, for the past 3 1/2 years I've consulted the I CHING every morning.

Ive made peace with my evangelical Christian roots in embracing the mystical Contemplative side of Christianity as well studying A Course In Miracles. Not really knowing anything about A Course In Miracles for years I stayed prejudiced against it because I wrote it off as just flaky new age stuff. ACIM is about Helen Schucman, a non-practicing Jewish secular psychologist who suddenly began channeling  Jesus in the late 1960's. She did this with great reservation but was encouraged by an associate, Bill Thetford. This is a Jesus I can relate to. A friend and brother who uses the term 'ego' extensively in pointing out the twist in us which results in the separation from 'having our being'. In my own pondering on this, who could better channel through someone other than Jesus,,,,?  I don't want to proselytize though. 

Its one thing I like about Gurdjieff as well. He uses the term ego and refers to it as a part of our seeing reality upside down because it divorces one from the reality of Being.

The version of the ICHING I use is Carol Anthony and Hanna Moog's ORACLE OF THE COSMIC WAY. It is a revised version removing all the old patriarchality. They too use the term ego extensively in this work.

Edited by Zigzag Idiot
Elaborating on the use of the term ego in my core practices

I welcome comments and easy-to-answer questions.

This is a simple overview of where the Idiots are stationed on ladder of Being and some connections with my inner world development.

By the way, no one is being mean spirited here. I've seen where a lot of time, people who are solid in the green worldview will get offended over this stuff. This can be brutal on one's self importance, though.  But this is what makes it effective work on self. One can only work on oneself. I can work WITH other people but I can only work ON myself. And so this is an articulation of part of my actualization process. 

I return to Ordinary Idiot frequently and as needed to rest in 'beginners mind'. We all the same here,,,, no one is better.

1 - The Ordinary idiot - Ordinary Idiot is always with me in my Belly Center (hara). 

2  - The Super idiot

3 - The Arch idiot -  I spent 10 years looking at the World as a Scientologist which helped me fulfill some requirements and resolve disparities connected with this Station.

4 - The Hopeless idiot - There are 2 kinds of Hopeless Idiot. Will eloborate later.   

5 - The Compassionate idiot   This is a sticking point for a lot of Green as well as those who have a 'spiritual ego'. I've paid my dues. I was a Compassionate Idiot for a long time.

6 - The Squirming idiot

7 -The Square idiot

8 -The Round idiot - When I spent time as Round Idiot, I saw and understood how my negativity was hooked into and propelled my reactive self. 

9 -The Zigzag idiot - Experiences of self reflective and narrative consciousness dominate up to here.

This is where the path of Knowledge ends and the path of Being begins.

10 - The Enlightened idiot - Experiences Witness Consciousness 

11 -  The Doubting idiot

12 - The Swaggering idiot.  People are often bothered at first that Swaggering Idiot is so high on the ladder of Being. I was. But that's the way it is. Swaggering Idiot sees the interconnectedness of things,,,,, Many call it good here and go no further. 

13 - The Born idiot

14 -The Patented idiot - aka Authentic Idiot

15 -The Genial idiot

16 -The Polyhedral idiot

17 - The Master  idiot

18 - The Perfect idiot - aka The Realized Idiot          This is as far as human beings can go.

19 - The Holy idiot

20 - The Cosmic idiot

21 - The Unique idiot             God is Unique Idiot

15 hours ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

The version of the ICHING I use is Carol Anthony and Hanna Moog's ORACLE OF THE COSMIC WAY. It is a revised version removing all the old patriarchality. They too use the term ego extensively in this work.

Can you summarize the process of using I Ching, or give pointers to resources?

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

10 hours ago, tsuki said:

Can you summarize the process of using I Ching, or give pointers to resources?

http://www.ichingoracle.com/ 

This is their Website. There is quite a difference between this and the original I CHING. Everyone needs to decide for themselves about the value of what Carol and Hanna have done in their reworking of the IChing. Hope this helps,,,,

I got the book from Amazon a couple years ago. Doing a google search just now l noticed that there are free PDF downloads available.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:24 PM, Zigzag Idiot said:

I return to Ordinary Idiot frequently and as needed to rest in 'beginners mind'. We all the same here,,,, no one is better.

1 - The Ordinary idiot - Ordinary Idiot is always with me in my Belly Center (hara). 

2  - The Super idiot

I approach actualization as a 3 centered being. The 'Hara' is a part of my Instinctual Center.

The feeling center is concentrated in the heart area and the front side of the physical body.

The Intellectual center is in the head brain of my Automaton.

When my 3 centers are out of balance, I'm spiritually asleep, disconnected from Being. A common condition is when I just have  1 or 2 centers online. Usually for me it has meant being stuck in my head. Neurotic,,, non-stop internal dialogue. No inner quiet. Disconnected from the groundedness in my Instinctive (Belly) Center.

Making my Automaton do Centering Prayer twice a day is key for me to stay balanced.

Cynthia Bourgeault gives the best instruction for Centering Prayer, IMO.

Edited by Zigzag Idiot

In the spirit of Gurdjieff's Beelzebub's Tales To His Grandson and "feeding hot peppers"

I like the symbolism @ 2:30 with the Flag over the Bible and the Bombers dropping ordinance.

My being attracts my life.

Maurice Nicoll said it and I continue to observe it. He also said:

The essence of the idea of Karma-Yoga is to meet with unpleasant things equally with pleasant things. That is, in practicing Karma-Yoga, one does not seek always to avoid unpleasant things, as people ordinarily do. Life is to be met with non-identifying. When this is possible, life becomes one's teacher; in no other sense can life become a teacher, for life taken as itself is meaningless, but taken as an exercise it becomes a teacher. It is not life that is a teacher, but one's relation through non-identifying makes it become a teacher. Nothing can change being so much as this practice - namely, to take the unpleasant things in life as an exercise. (Maurice Nicoll, Commentaries, Vol. 1)

This is worth watching just for the guy answering  his phone @ 1:42 while working on a Statue.

Edited by Zigzag Idiot

Typologies

I heard Ken Wilbur describe himself once as an cerebrotonic ectomorph so I went and investigated and determined that I was a  somatotonic mesomorph.

Of the endocrine typology, I'm an adrenal (mars) type. Or rather my body is that type.

Im not my body though. I have a body. I refer to it sometimes as my Automaton. I have to take care of my Automaton.

My Automaton has a Virgo filter software program running in it. I'm not my software though.

I'm not my hardware and I'm not my software.

Being is who I am. My being is partly comprised of my understanding.

Are you familiar with the Enneagram?
Your video about 5 fools seems a lot like it. It gives no room to escape.
Too bad that it does not elaborate on the foolishness of the zero fool.
Maybe I am a zero fool and I can't see why it's foolish?
 (nevermind, I found another video!)
Here's a channel with good type descriptions. I'm a type six:

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

Me too. I'm a counterphobic type 6.

These folks have described the enneatypes with each level of Spiral Dynamics.

Type Six: The Questioner/The Trusting Self. In the Yellow level of
consciousness, Type Six, the Questioner, is able to trust himself for the first time.
The Trusting Self transforms rigidity and inconsistency into solidity as faith is
embodied. From an understanding of the need for adaptive, flexible systems, the
Trusting Self can operate under external authority when needed, or can serve as
the authority. “Authority can be authorities because I’m the authority too, and I
trust myself” (Ooten, Unpublished; Ooten, 2010).

From: http://www.consciousdynamicsllc.com/home/levels_of_consciousness.html

Connected with one's dominant endocrine gland and the enneagram are essence (body) types. I'm a Solar Saturn-Mars.

http://destinyclemens.com/Destinyclemens/Body_Types.html

In my inquiry I've noticed that complaining just perpetuates itself.

I used to be a world class complainer until I realized how much 'good' it did. Complaint just perpetuates negative emotion. 

My endocrine type (adrenal-mars) are people who see the glass half empty. But there is a difference in that and expressing negative emotion.  Adrenal types are often people who can't sit still for long especially if they are moving centered,,,,, oops that's adding in another typology.

It was touched on in the 5 Fools YouTube though.

When I first started doing Fourth Way self observation, I typed myself as an Intellectual type. But further down the road when the emotional pendulum was really gettin it, I thought I must really be a person with a center of gravity in the emotional center. We all have a psychological blind spot. Be horrified,,, it's true.

My blind spot kept me from seeing that my center of gravity was in the instinctive center as it's called in 'The Work'.

The instinctive center is subdivided into physical instinctive-sexual-moving (how we move;coordination )

Fouth way work involves a lot of sucky information like psychological blind spots. People get offended when you point out evidence of their own spiritual sleep. Being able to refer to oneself as an idiot or a fool is a way of working on self importance.

Being self important wastes a lot of energy. Most everyone reading this already knows that.

Complaining is a form of self importance.

Slipping past the collective ego as a universal heretic

AH Almaas - To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic. 

We Have to Risk the Aloneness and the Terror of Being Totally on Our Own

To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic. You don’t believe in the ultimate reality of any concept. You can assume any belief you find useful and attractive, but you don’t need to hold on to any of it. Without being captured by your beliefs, you are strong enough and confident enough to throw away any and all beliefs and perspectives, each and every philosophy and story. You can stand totally alone, completely independent of all that comes through the mind, through time and space. This station of realization is difficult and rare. Most of us don’t have the nerve to lose our minds. Although terrifying, it is necessary for true freedom. We have to risk that we may be wrong. We have to risk the aloneness and the terror of being totally on our own. We have to risk cutting all of our supports, burning all of our bridges, destroying all of our boats. They are all ultimately and fundamentally concepts that come from hearsay or, at best, from our own past experiences. Even the concepts and knowledge that have come from our own immediate experiences cannot be relied on. That knowledge is like Buddha’s words—old, unless corroborated in this moment. Maybe a week ago you had an experience of realization, but how do you know that will be the same today? Who said that God won’t change or that self-realization should continue being the same today? In other words, we cannot hold on to any concept past our direct experience of it; otherwise, what we’re doing is believing a story. Whether someone else’s or our own, a story is a story, not true reality here and now. To be truly independent and autonomous, we need to be free from the concepts acquired from others as well as our own past experiences.

Diamond Heart Book Five, pg. 63

In the Aquarian Age, Spiritual Guru's are passé. Friendship is paramount.

The procession of the vernal equinox point in the Cosmic Year proceeds backwards clockwise through the constellations: 72 years for one degree, 2,160 for one "cosmic month" or sign, and 25,920 years for the whole Zodiac. The 26,000 number corresponds fractally to the number of breaths in a day. The history of Neolithic Man, of Humanity from a global point of view, covers five completed ages, and as mentioned has just entered the sixth stage.

SIX AGES OF COSMIC HISTORY

8838 - Clan - Animism

6678 - Tribe - Vision Quest

4518 - City - Book of the Dead, Writing

2358 - People - Ritualization of Life

198 B.C. - Empire - Messenger of God

1962 A.D. - Humanity - Technology, Personal Way

Humanity is now in the global technological civilization of Aquarius/Body Thinking, the age of spiritual democracy. In the new age we have to integrate the five former historical ages like the traumas of personal life in psychoanalysis.,,,,,,

(Zigzag Idiot - The above makes me think of Spiral Dynamics on a historical scale of known current Human Civilzation.).    

In the Aquarian Age of Body Thinking, with technology, everyone has to find his personal way, starting from the dark towards the light. The age of Empires is dying and being replaced by global consciousness, a one world network of friends - Spaceship Earth. Today the individual is paramount and the differences between people are accepted and affirmed. The myth of Satan versus almighty God is exploded. The individual now finds and creates their own way. Evil can now be recognized as the personal shadow which has to be integrated with the help of psychology. Beyond good and evil, a person can be grounded in the infinite, Zero, in God. Today we find God by tuning into the basic time cycles, and discovering our basic mental gestalt, our meaning and purpose in life.

In the Zero dimension the individual can find their roots in CHI, in the capacity of Self Organization. They can travel full circle from a limited ego, little "I", disassociated with the Self, onto the Zero - the Self - where the false ego is shattered. Then the way goes back from out of the Self into the true Ego, the big "I". The big "I" is in contact with the Self and includes the "I" of all others in the Universe. With the holistic Ego fully present in the fourth dimension, a person finds fulfillment by development of their unique potential, their personal path. In the Aquarian Age this path involves creative fulfillment by some type of personal service or work of some kind - work for the earth and all of nature, including human-kind.

Instead of mastery and loyalty common to the last age, work and friendship are the common denominators of this age. The friendship of equals replaces the parental or schoolmaster discipline of the last age. This emphasis on friendship has already begun to transform all of society. The trend will continue as the archaic institutions of the past decay and are replaced by dynamic new structures in tune with the times.

The transformation has begun on all levels, including the spiritual disciplines. For example, the School of Wisdom is a gathering of friends based on individual understanding, tolerance and merit. Followers are discouraged and adherence to specific dogmas and authoritarian lineage is anathema. The transformation has already had strong effects on the family where friendship is the new basis of both husband-wife and parent-child relationships. It is effecting business where the boss-employee relationship is becoming friendlier and less polarized-hierarchial. It is effecting world governments where the enemy us-them mentality is dying in favor of global cooperation.

The holistic view of friendship on all levels has arrived - between all of humanity with each other, and between humans and all other forms of life on this planet. In the Aquarian Age ecological awareness re-emerges in importance on a global level. We are not masters of nature, we are her friends. This even applies to our technology, as our machines and computers become ever more user-friendly.

The Piscean Age of industrialism and empire - which was at the end severely polluted and unfriendly to the Earth - is dead or is dying. So we should not be concerned with trying to destroy the old age, the old ways. That is inevitable. It naturally follows the Progression of the Equinoxes. Instead, we should be concerned with building solid structures to replace the old. Our new structures will last if they are based on environmental awareness and are friendly to the Earth and all forms of being and consciousness.

The new historical era started on February 4, 1962 with a solar eclipse over New Guinea. At that time all of the planets, except for the trans-Saturanian ones, were located at 15 degrees Aquarius. There is no need for an apocalypse, and no need to wait for a future age of coming good. The New Age is already here, the potential is at hand. All that is needed is understanding and work to fulfill the new potentials.

From: Chance and Choice - A Compendium of Ancient and Modern Wisdom Revealing the Meaning and Significance of the Myth of Science

http://www.chanceandchoice.com/

Arnold Keyersling, a student of Gurdjieff, put this book together with his Student at the time, Ralph Losey. Arnold Passed away in 2005.

In 2003 Ralph sent me a VHS tape of Arnold giving a talk entitled From Human Potential To Human Actualization.

Edited by Zigzag Idiot
Correct some spelling

I'm Actualizing as a 3 brained being,,,,,

The following is from chapter 4 of Chance and Choice. 

http://www.chanceandchoice.com/course-overview/brain-and-mind 

Consciousness is in the Head, Awareness is in the Whole Body. In order to experience and live in Awareness we have to shift the emphasis from ego in the head, to Self in the belly. The lower stomach is the center of movement situated at the level of the Sacrum, the "sacred bone", also called the "Hara". This is why whole body awareness - the critical first step on the path of Wisdom of knowing your body - must be attained by all who would fulfill their full human potential - use all parts of their brain.

The Brain-Mind is the slowest; the Heart and Blood Mind is quicker; but the Belly-Sacrum Mind is the quickest. In crises, the Body-Mind takes over. This is why the Sufi tradition used to force a man into a crisis, a mortal danger, in order to force a shift from the left brain into body Awareness.

Example: You are driving a car fast around a corner. You see a truck stopped in the road. You can barely pass. Immediately the Brain and Affective Mind stop. The Body Mind takes over, you instantly swerve, and you pass the truck by a few inches. At a certain distance you stop. Your Affective Mind, your heart, starts beating quickly and you visualize what could have happened. Five minutes later the Brain Mind takes over: Why did that bastard stop in that place without putting a sign up before the curve? If you had tried to drive with your Brain mind, you would be dead already. The survival instinct violently shifted you from your normal abode in the Brain Mind, into the Belly Mind.

Zigzag Idiot

Primary point - Most of us need to get out of our head.

Not just one time,,, but everyday

The method is through sensing the body, one can get out of their head and become grounded through their physicality. The more one senses the body, the more subtle awareness we develop and the more stable one's inner quiet becomes.  Sensing not feeling.

As it sounds,,, it begins with something that sounds so boring, it's just disappointing to hear about it. That's the ego trying to preserve itself. This drab door we open is into the realm of Being and we become amazed at first when we realize how things are.

Sensing not feeling!

IMG_0161.JPG

Edited by Zigzag Idiot
Get rid of a redundancy

I like the idea of synchronistic 'bleed thru's' or however you want to call it in finding profound meaning in movie and song.

Maybe it is truly a wise, well read screenwriter or Song Writer.

How often is the singer or actor letting the spirit of something higher than them, pour through them. Inspiration of the Muse,,,,

Cate Blanchetts portrayal of Gladriel with Frodo in the scene of Lord of the Rings. Her refusal of power at the water pool. How can you watch her portray this passing a test of temptation and not be deeply moved. Of course apart from all the special effects. Her subtle gestures and how they communicate. Just good acting and nothing more? Or is the Muse at work on the day of filming?.. The resisting of temptation,,, refusal of power ,,so many elements come together delivering a message deep into ones being. Transrational,,,,deep wisdom of nonviolence 

Edited by Zigzag Idiot

Today I posted a YouTube of Ocke deBoer in the section on examples of Turquoise along with a couple of quotes of his.

One of the quotes, I've realized could really cause others some confusion. The quote I'm referring to is:

"This is the difference between us and the angels. Angels are perfectly made and, therefore, naive and stupid; they can only do what they are made for. Humans have many more possibilities. There is more joy in heaven for one perfected human being than for a thousand angels."

I don't want to give the idea that Ocke embraces the idea of an an afterlife as blue level evangelical Christians do in an afterlife Heaven with a judgemental God. Ocke has studied Beelzebubs Tales for years. Basically Gurdjieff taught the 'Kingdom of Heaven' is within. Kingdom of Heaven synonymous with nondual consciousness....Just like Jesus really taught!

There was a Cosmological side to the teaching and the idea of a purgatory and possibly eternal life so I can't say that Ocke believed only in the Idea of Kingdom of Heaven is within.

The trouble with words,,,,,

I like his irreverent sense of humor

The other quote:

"If you could float above the earth and become aware of all the negativity that is going on, you would never laugh again. The world is ruled by negative emotions."