Ampresus

Should I (ex sunni muslim) learn about Rumi?

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. Let me give some clarification first.

I am a 14 year old kid who joined this entire thing 3 months ago. Since then I have been meditating for 3 months. Doing shamanic breathing for the last 10 weeks. When I asked more about what the fuck I was supposed to do, people said that I should look up sufism instead of completely leaving behind my religion. 

To fully transcend to Orange, I gave up my blind beliefs about Islam. I was raised up (and technically still am being raised up) as muslim. My mom is sunni and my dad is shia. One of the reasons they divorced is because of that difference. When I was younger, my friend came to me once and told me that there was a third islamic group. Sufists. ''They do weird dances and it is very creepy'' is what he told me. Now that I know about this path and about that quote from Rumi under Leo's messages on this forum, I am starting to get a bit interested. 

The real deal is: I don't know if I would understand Rumi/If it is worth reading about an old sufi-mystic when I don't love so much at all in the first place. Or maybe his teachings will be my way of learning love. I was planning to read Osho or smthn, but people suggested I should wait with that until I know my life purpose etc. Should I also wait till I found my life purpose and then read Rumi's stuff? 

Or should I read more into Sufi stuff before even considering to read about Rumi and his teachings?

@Ampresus So here's the thing, I suggest you to find the path that is most clear to you. The one that you can understand the best. Rumi was a Persian poet. The most significant of his work lies in the book "The Masnavi". There are several factors here that could impede a correct understanding of what enlightenment is about.

1. The Masnavi is first and foremost not written in prose, and is full of poetic metaphor and as such can be confusing by nature.
  2. The Masnavi was written in Persian, and unless you have a good grasp of Farsi, you are going to have to read translations. The issue there is that you'd have to (a) trust that the translation is accurate (which is not, I assure you) and (b) you'll be confined to the translator's lens, so to speak.
  3. Sufism in general is a very esoteric and not-so-well documented practice. For certain, there are historical accounts of Sufi saints such as Shams Tabrizi and Rumi who were truly enlightened, however, you are not likely to find more contemporary saints who'd teach in language which is more graspable for you.

I wholeheartedly recommend you to find a lineage that is most comprehensible to you, and read its literature (for me it was Ramana Maharshi). 

Better yet, find a real guru who you can get in personal touch with. 

Also (and this is just personal opinion, not meant to insult anyone) is to give up islam. While Mohammed's teaching (complete surrender to Allah) is definitely truthful, Islam in general is more of a political religion than one interested in enlightenment, and as such, most of the scholarly work you'd find in the islamic world concerns itself with politics, sociology, law etc. and not enlightenment.  

Edited by FoxFoxFox

@Ampresus I would be open to all mystics / sages. Engage with what speaks to you - with what resonates with you. That could be insights from nonduality, personal empowerment, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, metaphysics, science, art etc.

Yeah read Rumi, he's cool! There's only one way to find out if it's the right vibe for you. Can you read persian by any chance? His poetry is meant to be much more beautiful in persian than in the english translations.

I'm pretty old compared to you and am just starting to understand his poems (in english lol). I don't think 14yo me would have gotten it at all, but I'm not a very poetic person. 

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

I dont know shit but how i see it engage in sufism only if you have a sufi guru, or some sufi group nearby. otherwise its too unnecessarily hard and complicated.

I also agree with Leo that one should explore all perspectives, so one shouldnt be studying just sufism, but all religions.

@Ampresus transcend religions altogether. instead of limiting yourself to a particular religion, be aware of the practical goal of all religions.

unborn Truth

Do you want to read Rumi?  

What most interests you?

What do you feel the best way to go is?  Do you think it's better to hold off on going deep into spirituality at this point or to commit more to life purpose? 

There is the possibility of doing both.  

Spread your wings.  Let fly.  Do what you feel is wisest and dearest to your heart.  Open your mind to all the possibilities.  Be patient.  Have fun.  Enjoy it :)

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Rumi is awesome! If you can read his work in Persian or even in arabic, then try to as the translation could be better... I do not know, but if it is not your first language then the English translation is just inspiring and well-written.

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Rumi-reissue-New-Expanded-ebook/dp/B003V1WUNA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544557499&sr=8-4&keywords=rumi

Honestly, for now, I say go ahead and do research on sufism, its a fascinating movement. I spent a large chunk of my time researching about my heritage (Portugal) and cultural beliefs (Catholicism) to get a deeper understanding, I think its all great. 

a great introduction to sufism:

Edited by SgtPepper

Anyone know why sufis like most other muslims says muhammed was the last messenger of God?

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

20 minutes ago, Harikrishnan said:

Anyone know why sufis like most other muslims says muhammed was the last messenger of God?

cause Muhammad said so.

5 hours ago, Ampresus said:

Hello everyone. Let me give some clarification first.

I am a 14 year old kid who joined this entire thing 3 months ago. Since then I have been meditating for 3 months. Doing shamanic breathing for the last 10 weeks. When I asked more about what the fuck I was supposed to do, people said that I should look up sufism instead of completely leaving behind my religion. 

To fully transcend to Orange, I gave up my blind beliefs about Islam. I was raised up (and technically still am being raised up) as muslim. My mom is sunni and my dad is shia. One of the reasons they divorced is because of that difference. When I was younger, my friend came to me once and told me that there was a third islamic group. Sufists. ''They do weird dances and it is very creepy'' is what he told me. Now that I know about this path and about that quote from Rumi under Leo's messages on this forum, I am starting to get a bit interested. 

The real deal is: I don't know if I would understand Rumi/If it is worth reading about an old sufi-mystic when I don't love so much at all in the first place. Or maybe his teachings will be my way of learning love. I was planning to read Osho or smthn, but people suggested I should wait with that until I know my life purpose etc. Should I also wait till I found my life purpose and then read Rumi's stuff? 

Or should I read more into Sufi stuff before even considering to read about Rumi and his teachings?

Leave Islam completely to get rid of those attachments to a dogma. There are other mystics to study. 

When Islam is out of your system, go back and study Rumi if you want.

4 hours ago, SgtPepper said:

cause Muhammad said so.

So dosent that make sufis also closeminded and full of beliefs.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

1 hour ago, Harikrishnan said:

So dosent that make sufis also closeminded and full of beliefs.

well there hasn't been anymore Abrahamic messengers of God as influential as Muhammad since, so he hasn't been proven wrong.

@Ampresus if you want to treat Sufism like another religion then it's a waste of time. Get beyond all that then maybe take a look at Sufism too.

I have always read rumi in its main language but never understood what he was actually talking about. But after I had done a bit of meditation and self inquiry which I learned from Leo, I read Rumi's poems again and all the sudden it got so clear what he's trying to say so my point here is if you want to learn about enlightenment learn it from people teaching it in the present era otherwise it's not gonna be relatable or helpful in any way.

The English translation is actually not that bad since it's a word by word translation but it doesn't make much sense when you read it. It makes way more sense in Persian.