cena655

Everything feels so pointless

20 posts in this topic

I don't really know what to do in life. Everything feels extremely pointless. I've never had fun drinking alcohol like all other people. I've always felt depressed and sad afterwards. And of course, I would feel like dying. I would think about enlightenment and meditation. 

• On the one hand, I want to have a girlfriend, but on the other hand I don't find it meaningful.
  • On the one hand, I want to earn a lot of money, but on the other hand it's just so pointless.

People also do so much pointless stuff...

I always thought that I should develop myself personally. Maybe that way I could find some peace and fullfilment. But that never helped...

I guess I will just keep on doing my spiritual work.

Focus your time on the spiritual path :) But it is not wrong to work to earn for living if needed, or maybe what you seeking is monkhood, being monastic?

@Amanaki yes! I have to earn money as I want to move out soon. 

Edited by cena655

Cena maybe try to just live in moment for one day, do not think about there being meaning , or not being meaning, just throw it out of your head and interact with your daily life. 

Edited by purerogue

36 minutes ago, cena655 said:

I don't really know what to do in life. Everything feels extremely pointless. I've never had fun drinking alcohol like all other people. I've always felt depressed and sad afterwards. And of course, I would feel like dying. I would think about enlightenment and meditation. 

• On the one hand, I want to have a girlfriend, but on the other hand I don't find it meaningful.
  • On the one hand, I want to earn a lot of money, but on the other hand it's just so pointless.

People also do so much pointless stuff...

I always thought that I should develop myself personally. Maybe that way I could find some peace and fullfilment. But that never helped...

I guess I will just keep on doing my spiritual work.

Was there any meaning to this post? What motivated you to write it? If you truly felt it was pointless why bother?

Dont look at me! Look inside!

1. Stay around on forum.

This would be the most importan thing second after considering professional help. This community is all about helping ourselves grow.

2. Read books on self help

Recommended:

Solve for happy by CEO of Google?(can't remember name)

Feeling good by David burns

3. You have just taken one step further in the path of you becoming happy

This matters. This thread means that you believe you can be happy. This is something amazing just yet beginning. Every journey is unique. Blessings and speed for you

28 minutes ago, WelcometoReality said:

@cena655 Have you considered seeing a therapist?

Yes, I went to a therapist before. But he couldn't really find out my Problem.

9 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Was there any meaning to this post? What motivated you to write it? If you truly felt it was pointless why bother?

I experienced resistance writing this post. But eventually I hoped for some advice or similar expieriences by experienced members.

6 minutes ago, cena655 said:

I experienced resistance writing this post. But eventually I hoped for some advice or similar expieriences by experienced members.

I am well aware where you are , I had same problem, I even knew how easy it is to change my emotional state to fell more happy, but I simply did not see meaning in doing it , felt that there is no point of doing any of it as they are just emotions and they will not solve my core problems, which is in a way true, it is hard to be happy when you are questioning meaning of all of it. 

Problem is lack of vision for your life what inspire you what motivates you what do you enjoy i have this pointless thing also because why struggle when it doesnt make you happy well do things you love but expect also that it will suck and thats the place you will grow in those things you love....

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

33 minutes ago, cena655 said:

So you have hope which means you think there is meaning, so you dont think its all pointless do you?

But yeah, therapy might be good too. Try many different ones, or find a guru. xD

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@cena655  Hope you find your path soon and feel better.  Try not to be hard on yourself... dont put lots of pressure on yourself... thats one of the biggest downers in life.

Keep learning.  The life purpose course and book list are gold mines.

I believe you need some fresh inspiration. ❤️ This will give you incentive and energize you which will make things feel less pointless. ❤️ Find what you love doing the most or what speaks to your soul the most. What do you enjoy reading about? What do enjoy seeing or hearing or experiencing? I'd advise you to give this some deep thought.

Conventional therapy isn't beneficial for everyone. I've tried talk therapy in my adolescence and let me tell you I could not find a suitable therapist in my location whatsoever. It was a struggle. They kept throwing me on all types of medication I did not need to be on. This is why some psychiatrists must love working with the youth (and elders) because it is so much easier to manipulate them. Eventually I backed out of course because it was only making matters worse. Talk therapy had me unnecessarily repeating myself and rehashing over my past to the point of only looking back and never looking forward which would depress me more. I got so tired of having to change counselors and repeat my whole life story to various strangers for the whole 30 minutes.

The only therapy I've found worked for me and my PTSD was EMDR therapy which focuses on healing the inner-child through semi-hypnosis meditations and unlocking memories we have repressed that could use our attention. I only went to a few sessions and it was more helpful and powerful than I'd ever imagine. Of course I underestimated at first due to my poor experience with therapy in the past. But some of these processes involved re-experiencing some sensations and moments of intense pain and agony, feeling and sinking into those waves of emotion, some in which were heart breaking and overwhelming but would ultimately crawl into a state of embrace which lead to calm and peace and love, and it released so much.

Aside from that though, daily meditation became my medication and working on my deepest passions in life was the best therapy for me. Coming to the realization in my late adolescence that I am the only one who can truly help myself because no one else could, was crucial to committing to my journey and finally boosted my hope for the future.

Edited by VioletFlame

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

I feel you.

A feeling of pointlessness can be really sticky and it can feel like there a million pounds on your shoulder when you want to actually get up and do something. It feels like all this color and feel and experience is just doll and alot of suffering over nothing. What i want to communicate now to you is:

This is the necessary step to finding true life purpose and knowing your doing in your life. By having no direction you have now a clearer overview of  what is there in terms of doing in this life. Many people know exactly what to do and or just go along with something while being completely blind to what is possible for them. To actually find something worthwhile you have to suffer first and be without direction first. This is the first the state of finding yourself, rejecting the ordinary way and looking for something grander and more meaningful.

You must also consider as a next step,a  true passion and fulfilment in your life needs work. Dont think your great passion is gonna fall out of the sky and your gonna know everything about it. Look what is there and get started with something. From the outside its always gonna look meaningless but once you flow with some kind of work, youre gonna see its value. There is always suffering in the start. The trick is to start working even if you dont want to. You will have to overcome yourself. Everyone else just gives up before they start. Start doing something even if it is the hardest thing in the world. Thats the trick, then you will feel alive

Edited by Robi Steel

I know you're tired but come. This is the way - Rumi

Welcome to the plight of the human condition.

Some may tell you that there is no meaning, no point so you should erase that meaning and point in your own life to reflect this nihilistic perspective. That this is the ultimate way of being, by non-being a nonexistence of nothingness in emptiness which is the pinnacle, the nirvana, the truth and everything else is an illusion.

All they have done is taken the physical pursuits of meaning and gone to the extreme in the opposite creating meaning out of the non-physical ideology. It's more dualism mindset and that the Buddha came across in his path when he spoke of a middle way that transcends the dualism of indulgence and abstinence.

This middle way is having peace and fulfillment in just being, simply being present in the moment and not in either indulging or abstaining  ideologically and in practice from what life exists as. So in the fat or lean times, in gain or loss, in success or failure there is still peace because in those is not where meaning is derived.

15 minutes ago, SOUL said:

Some may tell you that there is no meaning, no point so you should erase that meaning and point in your own life to reflect this nihilistic perspective. That this is the ultimate way of being, by non-being a nonexistence of nothingness in emptiness which is the pinnacle, the nirvana, the truth and everything else is an illusion.

All they have done is taken the physical pursuits of meaning and gone to the extreme in the opposite creating meaning out of the non-physical ideology. It's more dualism mindset and that the Buddha came across in his path when he spoke of a middle way that transcends the dualism of indulgence and abstinence.

This middle way is having peace and fulfillment in just being, simply being present in the moment and not in either indulging or abstaining  ideologically and in practice from what life exists as. So in the fat or lean times, in gain or loss, in success or failure there is still peace because in those is not where meaning is derived.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, SOUL said:

Well said dude. When the nihilistic perpectice is taken to the extreme new beliefs are created, directly impacting ones daily life with a sense of hopelessness 

16 hours ago, cena655 said:

Yes, I went to a therapist before. But he couldn't really find out my problem.

So you're not depressed?

Both meaning and meaninglessness are mental constructs. When we see there is no meaning the mind immediately grabs ahold of its opposite, meaninglessness. Which is equally untrue.

22 hours ago, cena655 said:

Not all therapists or therapies are the same.

Google "psychoanalytic institute <your city>", call them, and ask for a referral. That is the most powerful kind of therapist & therapy. Be prepared to spend a lot of time and effort before you "find out your Problem" -- a year or more. That's how long real insight takes.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self