shahar uriel

best technique for quieting the mind long term?

9 posts in this topic

Hi there.

so i guess there isn't a definitive answer to my question but still.. to your knoledge/ experience, what's the most effective technique that i could add on as a habit to do every single day, that with consistent practice over months/ years will help create more peace of mind? 

Currently doing 20 min a day of insight meditation which i learned in a retread i did, and just starting too add now a bioenergetic routine about once a week which seems to really help with body relaxation and anxiety/ stress relief.

Currently still doing research on different techniques that will help with one of my top priorities which is to have peace of mind as i mentioned, so i wanted your opinion on the subject before locking my chosen habits for at least the year ahead.

Thank you so much.

The three things I find most helpful to relax the mind are: meditation, yoga, and time in nature.

You don't need to "lock habits" - unless you really just want to.

As far as your question goes: don't try to quiet the mind. It means you are not accepting that which is already present. Rather, "watch" without judging. That's what meditation is also. Watch the mind.

For more on this Eckhart Tolle is my recommendation

This practise might help you

(:) Whenever you see people, try to tell the common things of that person and you. Like you both human, you wear etc. Then after, exaggerate on the differences in between you. I.e s/he doesn't do enlightenment work, you are more clever/ noself whatever. With time and practice, your mind will be exhausted and you will peak into the grand silence you have been seeking for.

A step further is to try to compare everything. Like you and a tree. You and a rock. A rock and carpet whatever.

Edited by non_nothing

Hands down self inquiry helps best if its done every day..but keep meditation and shamanic breathing works good but self inquiry when you are trying tofigure out who you are in the present moment is best i found...

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

Vipassana/insight meditation has made the mind calm down to only thinking what is needed. No more mind going wild :)

Time implies continuity, and continuity maintains divison between “me” and “my” thoughts. This divison sustains inner dialog(complulsive thought chatter). 

Instead of looking to quiet the mind(motive/cultivation/time), ask ourselves, why is the mind loud/conflicted/divided/compulsive in its thinking? 

Tbh, sometime after my enlightenment experience, it just became apparent to me that whatever I think: it is not gonna bring me further in my path. When I turn my consciousness on itself and start to reflect, it becomes silent immediately because my ego sorta knows that there is really nothing much to say and that it is spewing falsehood when talking. 

In the past, I always let my ego theorize and talk and talk and talk and try to capsulate. It did that so much and I wanted it it to do that for so long that  at some point it just stuffed it owns mouth. And i dont think a different way wouldve been possible. There is no other way in my mind that I couldve shut up the voice in my head. It had to be through peace with itself. Acceptance of itself. 

So, just go futher and dont worry about the voice. When your time has come it will know what to do, until then: let it reign. let it try all the way

Edited by Robi Steel

I know you're tired but come. This is the way - Rumi

I think, along with practice of just being still, is seeing how you don't have to think (most of the time) and that thoughts are (semi-)baseless (sound) or bodily reactions, not you.