Wisebaxter

Is Music Good for Contemplation?

15 posts in this topic

Is it better to have silence? I just find that music really gets me into the zone and inspires me. I can't imagine Ralston contemplating 'Awareness' to the sounds of Carbon Based Lifeforms somehow, but what about us mortals? Does anyone use music for contemplation? 

Both can be good. Music meditations put me on more of a journey and makes me see the beauty of reality and silent meditations tend to be more of an intense ending-of-a-movie, reflective sort of mindset.

music is more than good.

but don't cling to one genre, listen a lot of different things. ( especially the genre you hate or find "stupid" find what is smart about it, then. )

this one is better than silence for meditation to me, I don't care if silence is "better".

Edited by Strikr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e

18 minutes ago, EternalForest said:

@Strikr Try meditating to Pure Moods Vol. 1, incredible!!

too many variable in the frequency, I like the one above for meditation because my musician mind don't cling to dissect all the part of the sound :D if there is more than pad and a bit of melody it's all over my brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e

@Strikr I understand, but for me Pure Moods actually puts me in a sort of blissful state where I can marvel at the beauty of life and beauty of joy itself. And I know it was a very popular album, but in this case it was popular for a reason because for me and many others, that music really does take you to some very high states.

The music you linked is good as well, it reminds me a lot of silence, being so static and constant. You may enjoy ambient vaporwave as well, stuff like Telepath would appeal to you 

I also enjoy meditating to progressive house and trance

The best trance to listen to imo comes from Armin Van Buuren's A State of Trance show, with nearly 1000 episodes, here's a site where you can download them all:

http://www.asotarchive.org/

Yes.  Music has inspired/ triggered me to contemplate throughout my the course of my entire life.  Thoughts trigger emotions but emotions can also trigger thoughts.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@EternalForest @Strikr  Hmm, I'll certainly try pure moods and see which side of the fence I end up falling on. 

@Soulbass Wow, thanks for all that, very interesting to read. I like your point about how music can fuel a craving for an emotion, I'd never really considered that. I guess it's a language of emotion so I'm not surprised this is this case. Maybe the key is to be aware of this and avoid attachment. Rest of the stuff you mentioned I found hard to relate to, about music becoming an inner demon etc, but interesting none the less. 

@Joseph Maynor  Yeah that's a good point, perhaps the emotional element in music can fuel contemplation then. Well I'll give it a go and see

@EternalForest Well I just had a quick listen and I think for me it might be a better album for something like visualisation as the tunes are very powerful and conjure up a lot of imagery for me. For contemplation it might distract me a little from my object of contemplation as it's less like 'background' music that just sets a tone. It would 'lead' my mind a bit too much if you get me. But it is a fantastic list of tunes and I will certainly add it to my playlist. This is all assumption of course as I haven't actually given it a shot for contemplation. I'll let you know if I wrong :) 

Ok guys, next one up, music for self enquiry? Is this relevant? I'm pretty sure it's best to have silence for meditation, but what about self enquiry? Same deal?