Sahil Pandit

The 4 Levels of Competence

6 posts in this topic

Please read the article below and take a look at the diagrams. This is a very important and broad topic that Leo talks about in a lot of his videos, but a lot of Self Actualizers over look and often get stuck.

https://examinedexistence.com/the-four-states-of-competence-explained/

https://medium.com/@zainabz/the-four-stages-of-competence-ee5c6046b205

http://changingminds.org/explanations/learning/consciousness_competence.htm

1_wQz9hug8PWf2ke0eqE3-yg.jpg

1200px-Competence_Hierarchy_adapted_from_Noel_Burch_by_Igor_Kokcharov.svg.png

four-stages.jpg

it's a very powerful model. i really encourage people to contemplate it. you can apply it to literally anything

emotional mastery, life problem, generating an insight, social skills, enlightenment etc. 

As a composer, I find this model to be very accurate. Combined with the Dunning-Kruger effect you have a really accurate representation of how you're going to progress in skill.

At first you try a new craft and flail about, but have some successes as well because your mind is sharpened by the fact that this is completely new to you. Then you feel like you've gotten the hang of it, and become cocky. The cockiness leads you down into the valley of despair as you face problems that you're unable to solve, but if you're made of the right stuff, you will start studying the topic thoroughly to add depth to your superficial understanding until the skill becomes second nature.

A master craftsperson is both humble and confident at the same time. It's really beautiful.

@Krisena I can relate to this. An example is like playing the Trombone. At first, it's really hard to get the musical notes for Hot Cross Buns to come out correctly, but after some time thing's get easier and the notes start to come out more smoothly.

Soon after, you finally get the hang of it and it is bearable to listen to! xD

The Stages Of Growth.

1. Awareness

2. Understanding 

3. Acceptance 

4. Positive Action

5. Positive Change/Growth

6. Peace

Can't remember where I got this. Possibly from Leo's Awareness is curative video. We can't understand nor accept nor change something if we first are not aware of such. To accept we have to understand. To even begin to change and grow, we have to accept. 

Peace can only come through this process. 

Do note however that positive change or growth may not be Action. Peace may come from letting go and doing nothing. 

"Flow in the living moment. — We are always in a process of becoming and nothing is fixed. Have no rigid system in you, and you’ll be flexible to change with the ever changing. Open yourself and flow, my friend. Flow in the total openness of the living moment. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Moving, be like water. Still, be like a mirror. Respond like an echo" - Bruce Lee. 

Edited by SoothedByRain

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa