Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZZZZ

Dealing with high intensity periods

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I just wanted to see what everyones thoughts were on dealing with high intensity periods of life that plummet you all the way down to the "physiological needs" portion of the Maslow pyramid. Think finals week, big work deadlines approaching, having to work long overtime/call hours, etc. (where sleep is extremely minimal, stress is high, etc.)

The reason I ask is because I've been slammed studying 14-18 hours every day for exams I've had the last week and a half, and I've noticed my mindfulness go completely out the window with extremely low levels of consciousness. My diet has been terrible, I only get about 4 and a half hours of sleep each night (I nap 1-2 hours after my exam that day), I haven't been to the gym all week, my hygeine is alright but could be better, I haven't done any meditation, I'm relying heavily on caffeine and related substances to stay awake, etc.

The obvious solution is to reverse all of that, but it is simply not possible right now.  I'm enrolled in 36 credits this semester (mandatory for my program), and I've literally spent every hour sleeping, eating, or studying in between periods of mindless mental escape on my phone (texting/social media). Every time I wake up in the morning or from a nap I immediately feel a sense of dread wash back over me as I re-enter hell. 

I guess I'm wondering how to stay more conscious during these periods in the future. I think the main thing would have been having a plan before I got immersed in all of this (planned meditation breaks, healthy groceries or meals available, etc.). It's just so easy to get completely deraild. Any ideas?

Yeah it is easy ZZZ is important, don't worry too much about maintaining  a set schedule. That either will or will not happen in regards to sleep. In regards to the actual work, why are you cramming? I guess if 36 credits are mandatory try to chunk it down into smaller portions so it doesnt feel as daunting. Carve 20 minutes for outdoor activities each day. If this sounds like a stretch, it might be but i risk it when im enrolled in large efforts to keep my spirits up. It also will motivate you to shower after someone's kicked your ass in basketball or tennis. Depends. 

Some times things will be messy. Such as your hair, schedule, life. Ive learned to accept those weeks as they do not last forever and im glad i made it through them

4 minutes ago, K VIL said:

Yeah it is easy ZZZ is important, don't worry too much about maintaining  a set schedule. That either will or will not happen in regards to sleep. In regards to the actual work, why are you cramming? I guess if 36 credits are mandatory try to chunk it down into smaller portions so it doesnt feel as daunting. Carve 20 minutes for outdoor activities each day. If this sounds like a stretch, it might be but i risk it when im enrolled in large efforts to keep my spirits up. It also will motivate you to shower after someone's kicked your ass in basketball or tennis. Depends. 

Some times things will be messy. Such as your hair, schedule, life. Ive learned to accept those weeks as they do not last forever and im glad i made it through them

Very true, I've pretty much just accepted that I need to course correct when this is all done. I could have mitigated the amount of work I needed to do this week ahead of time, but probably not by much. 

@ZZZZ I see. Also you dont have to take my tips as they work for me. 

I found that if i need to shower, i just get it done now. Dont settle for alright. Then again, I am notorious for passing by so it may take different types of work ethic to achieve the results you are aiming for.

If you have time to scroll forums, take a shower. lol

6 minutes ago, K VIL said:

@ZZZZ I see. Also you dont have to take my tips as they work for me. 

I found that if i need to shower, i just get it done now. Dont settle for alright. Then again, I am notorious for passing by so it may take different types of work ethic to achieve the results you are aiming for.

If you have time to scroll forums, take a shower. lol

My hygeine has actually been pretty good overall, I just wanted to mention it as a consideration. I'm at the "it is what it is" mindset as I'm studying for this last exam, so I'm just screwing around in general at this point lol.

You've put yourself in an extremely unhealthy situation, in the future it would be best to place your well being above all else whenever possible.

But since you're already here, theres a few things you can do.

You need to get more sleep, period. It doesn't matter if you have to study less or not, it's dangerous to live on this much sleep, and you're actually less productive overall than if you got more sleep. You need at least 6 hours of sleep a day.

Lavender incense or essential oil helps with relieving stress, reduces anxiety, and calms your mind.

When you take showers, don't take cold showers. Warm showers are relaxing and reduce stress, and if you are doing cold showers you can't handle the extra stress right now. 

If you do all 3 of these things you're quality of life will improve significantly, and even still if you're already taking warm showers. This way you only have to spend an extra 2 hours to improve your situation, because you can use aromatherapy while you're studying.

Edited by Elysian
Grammar

@Elysian I know, thanks. I am usually one of the better ones in terms of getting enough sleep, but I was stuck between a rock and a hard place this time around. Once I nap I am closer to 6-7 hours of sleep, and that much less wakefulness, but I know it's not ideal. This is notoriously the most difficult two weeks of my program (and likely my entire academic career/life tbh). 

I like the aromatherapy idea. I'll give my old diffuser a go tonight when I lay down for bed. 

I've never really understood the appeal of cold showers to begin with. What are the benefits? 

Edited by ZZZZ

I suggest using the diffuser when studying, the mist needs to enter your nose, preferably underneath your head. Just a few minutes is enough. A couple times a day would be ideal.

Immune system strengthening, developing discipline, facing fears, different things. I don't take them, I take advantage of warm showers as an easy stress management tool. But it's certainly healthy for you if you want to take on the extra stress.

Edited by Elysian
Grammar

@ZZZZ I feel it. Finals can be rough, especially if you decide to let yourself go/backslide.

Remember to take care of first things first. And that's you.

36 units? I'm baffled.

Make sure you stick to doing the most important thing first, and once that is completed, move on to the next most important thing, etc. This way you are AS optimized as you could possibly be.

Good luck man

@Sahil Pandit @Elysian  Thank you! It will all be over tomorrow, and then I an refocus myself.

I'll look into the cold showers when I am done with all of the natural stressors I've got going on now :P