Dan Arnautu

Found an online (paid) spiral dynamics assessement by Don Beck

22 posts in this topic

This is hella expensive... is it really worth it?

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Sahil Pandit No. I just wanted to share the resource.

@Rilles I wouldn't buy it unless I would have enough income to assume the risk of it not being valuable at all.

I don't know if it's worth it. But it's made by a researcher who dedicated his life to Spiral Dynamics, so that should amount to something, I guess.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@daniel695 I think he's self-aware enough that he doesn't need the assessment to tell him. Plus, he studied the spiral dynamics model very extensively at this point. 

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

I was thinking of grabbing all the colour's values posted in the mega threads and splitting them into four categories:
- I involve this value in my life and want to retain it
- I don't involve this value in my life and want to gain it
- I involve this value in my life and want to remove it
- I don't involve this value in my life and want to avoid it

I was thinking this might focus my attention of what I'm doing right and wrong.
Haven't started this mind.

I bought it and wanted to show you some of the results!

As you can see, I resonated the most with Yellow and Green. This came as a big surprise to me, as I'm actually in a big gamma upheaval in my life where I, as I interpret it, am transitioning from Orange to Green. Leo did mention that he always had a Yellow streak to him from when he was young. Possibly that's the case with me as well. I would also maybe say that my Yellow streak has been more intellectual, and absent ethically and interpersonally, which would mean that the majority of my self is now moving toward Green.

Rejecting Blue did not come as a surprise, and yes, I have developed a big distaste for peak Orange.

That I score so high in Purple is interesting.

I think there's an amount of Red in my interpersonal relationships that this test didn't catch.

You can also see the statements I resonated with the most (in the first word picture) and the ones I rejected the most (second word picture). Finally, there are two graphs that show the distribution between the aspirational and values under pressure. Funny that it seems like I rely on Yellow when it counts, but actually aspire to value systems lower on the spiral.

As for whether or not I think it was worth it... I actually think it's really nice to get such a clear outside perspective on myself. The report could have been more personalized for how much it cost, but I don't regret it.

FoxitReader_2018-12-18_13-52-56.png

FoxitReader_2018-12-18_13-53-10.png

FoxitReader_2018-12-18_13-53-16.png

FoxitReader_2018-12-18_14-05-16.png

Edited by Krisena

@Krisena Thanks for sharing that with us!

Could you tell us a bit about the evaluation? Was it just a multiple choice questionaire? Or did it include essays and interviews with Beck’s team?

8 hours ago, Annoynymous said:

@Krisena I didn't understand 2nd and third picture. what do they stand for?

The 2nd picture shows all the statements in the test that described me the best. The 3rd picture shows all the statements in the test that described me the least. The color of the statements shows how they are loaded in regard to the spriral. In other words I resonate with "All opinions matter & live in harmony" while "conventional, narrow-minded" doesn't describe me (in fact, it's something that has caused me a lot of frustration in life).

7 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Krisena Thanks for sharing that with us!

Could you tell us a bit about the evaluation? Was it just a multiple choice questionaire? Or did it include essays and interviews with Beck’s team?

The evaluation consists of 17 questions, each with 6 choices that you get to weight to your preference with 15 points that you distribute among them.

I questioned the test in the beginning, thinking that 17 questions would surely not be enough to capture anything meaningful, but they are quite comprehensive and you will spend a lot of time thinking about the way you distribute your points. In the end I did feel the test was somewhat exhaustive, however, yes, that's all there's to it.

Edited by Krisena

@Krisena Interesting. Why no Turquoise?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Krisena Interesting. Why no Turquoise?

They doubted their ability to measure Turquoise with questionnaires, while also mentioning that turquoise doesn't play enough of a role in present-day organizations and society.

I seriously don’t get why it’s so hard to find a spiral dynamics test... now there’s a business idea for you

@kieranperez Spiral Dynamics is a trademark of Don Beck & whomever else. So you're not gonna find other people selling tests for it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Spiral Dynamics is a trademark of Don Beck & whomever else. So you're not gonna find other people selling tests for it.

I'm new to licensing and trademark procedures, could you please elaborate more on this topic.

Do you think it is possible to use the model, as long as one mention and give reference to the original authors? and in that case, should one get in contact with Don Beck at all?

You've released a large amount of deep content related to SD. Have you ever encountered a situation with royalties or proprietary information?

For example, if I am interested in building this free online assessment tool. Can I use the model in a sort of open-source fashion, where I acknowledge the creators and build on top of their model? Or is it the case that I cannot call it Spiral Dynamics at all.

I would imagine the work of Clare W. Graves is in the public domain.

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune

@Arthur Yeah, you may be able to credit the work.

But, if the assessment one creates is not good (if the results are not accurate or if spiral dynamics is misrepresented), it may be associated with Don Beck in a bad way and he might not want that. 

3 hours ago, Dan Arnautu said:

@Arthur Yeah, you may be able to credit the work.

But, if the assessment one creates is not good (if the results are not accurate or if spiral dynamics is misrepresented), it may be associated with Don Beck in a bad way and he might not want that. 

That's a good point.

If I publish poor content under S.D. banner, it will represent the model in a bad light. So there has to be some agreement between the publisher and S.D. creators.

My original thought was that Don Beck will not mind the web content since it provides more publicity. 

There might also be a possibility of embedding an explanatory paragraph in the web page. This is paragraph will state that this is not an original assessment. It is an independent version made by ABCD that only shares a small basis with the original S.D. model.

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune