Yousef

Suffering from OCD.!

14 posts in this topic

I have to "check " myself many times per day  wich cause me a lot of suffering and mental pain. (I can't really say what exactly I'm checking. .cuz i think it's embarrassing ) . Please help. Share any tips that worked for you to deal with OCD . 

images.jpg

Edited by Yousef

Finding answer to all of them inside me and you can do it, it is not what if it happens, what if it is the case, but, should you really be worried about it 

Ofc it is not that simple, certain things require coming  to understanding that it can happen and that if that happens  you can't do nothing about it, it already did happen, now it is about how you will take it.

Now what about things that could happen from your actions, it again boils down to taking best action you think is there and not caring if it happens, 

because if it happens, it happens, take that hit to the face with smile! :D 

I understand there are tons of situations, lot of them take different approach, it takes time , you have to deal with each of your fears separately. 

15 minutes ago, purerogue said:

Finding answer to all of them inside me and you can do it, it is not what if it happens, what if it is the case, but, should you really be worried about it 

Ofc it is not that simple, certain things require coming  to understanding that it can happen and that if that happens  you can't do nothing about it, it already did happen, now it is about how you will take it.

Now what about things that could happen from your actions, it again boils down to taking best action you think is there and not caring if it happens, 

Thanks bro.  Simple but very deep wisdom to someone who deals with OCD. 

Yousef,

I've had OCD my whole life.  This is known as the "Doubt" disease.

The way I look at it our awareness of uncertainty is so much higher than everyone else that this can actually be channged into something positive.

If you listen to alot of Leo's videos he talks about the search for "certainty".

You may know where I"m going with this -  enlightment.

Enlightment is absolute certainty.  It helps a lot to become enlightened because you get this deep and complete sense of certainty.

Although the mystical experience doesn't last, you can build and deepen your enlightment by continuing to mediate.

Now, i"m getting ahead of myself.  I assume you have not become enlightened yet - so what I recommend to start out with, is to meditate.

Meditation quiets the mind, and therefore, will quiet your OCD.  It will be hard at first, but the more you do it, and let your thoughts come and go, the easier it will be, and slowly, your OCD will start to improve.

Maybe if you get lucky like I did, you will be open minded and become enlightened within a few weeks of meditation and it will significantly reduce your OCD symptoms.

So...MEDITATION will be key for you, but you have to stick with it even when the obsessions come on really strong.

Let me know your thoughts - this worked for me although even before meditation I was aware that my obsessions were not me but just my thoughts .  

What's helped me: 

First become observant of the emotion. You have to first become aware of it 

Second remember that fear is an illusion 

Third sit the fear gradually and become okay with the consequences. do a little more everyday 

Fourth be patient, this is challenging stuff 

"but what if it does"

-> "i'm okay with the consequence" and EMBRACE

This fear is nothing compared to the challenges you will face later on in your enlightenment journey (gradual increase in difficulty) 

Approach your fear after you do 20-30 mins of cardio, you will be stronger and feeling more competent

Approach in bits and gradually, note your progress overtime 

Edited by d0ornokey

16 hours ago, d0ornokey said:

"but what if it does"

-> "i'm okay with the consequence" and EMBRACE

Unfortunately. .deep down. .I do care about the consequences. 

I get you, 100%

Been suffering from OCD for a long time. But it's been fading, and I don't really have a lot of issues with it anymore.

What I try to do, is be aware when it hits me again.
When this irrational thinking takes place - I grin. I just smile in my head thinking 'Oh, it's there again'.
But there's no real resistance to it. I just let it come to me, and it fades as quickly as it comes. It's like I am above it now.

It has been haunting me for years. During studying and exams it was the worst. During stress it was like putting oil on a fire.
OCD would hit me at the times I needed it the least, and would have me in its grip.

I see myself looking back, in sweat, crying, trying to get ahold of my mind, but I couldn't. I couldn't get over the irrational fears and endless looping in this OCD black hole.

And then suddenly I saw it was like I realized this was just a result of my lack of acceptance of what is. My lack of trust in myself.
My perfectionist mind, always wanting to strive for the best, and never be sure if I did "enough". "I got to be sure."  "I need to prove it to myself."
Over and over again.

But then I realized, the more I was trying to convince myself of this, the further away I was getting from the actual goal.
It had a tremendous contra-productive effect.

Once I realized this, it was easier for me to overcome it, and to let it go, fully.

I don't know if it will come back or not, but as of now I gladly say it doesn't haunt me anymore as much as it used to.
I look at it more as an old friend. But we've outgrown each other, for the better.

@Yousef  can you go indepth as to what you mean by check yourself many times a day?

i dont have OCD...but i do have anxiety from time to time and i feel myself judging things as good or bad and attaching myself to the good while disowning the bad. for the past few days what I've  been doing is allowing and accepting the thoughts that arise and saying things like "i allow that" and "i am that"

look in to the mind and see how you are judging and disowning the bad and attaching your self to the good to avoid suffering.

hope this helps 

I'm 80% cured of my OCD by creating more anxiety around the topic your anxious about and sitting through it without escaping. Keep repeating.

One for the counterintuitive thread.

@daniel695  for example. .I wash  my hands before eating.  And then I start eating. .but..oh. .I have to clean it again to make sure it's perfectly clean or I will get poisned or something. .

And other stuff like that. .

6 hours ago, Charlotte said:

I'm 80% cured of my OCD by creating more anxiety around the topic your anxious about and sitting through it without escaping. Keep repeating.

One for the counterintuitive thread.

So ..next time  I get the obsessive thought I should act on it.  Or should I ignore it and just watch the worry grow?

@Inliytened1

Thanks for sharing. .and I'm trying meditation. .but I can't watch the  thoughts come and go all the time.  I meanwhen I'm not meditating I just get sucked by the thoughts. .thoughts are insanely powerful. 

BTW. .is it really possible to get enlightened just by meditation? 

@Yousef recognise the thought but more importantly recognise the emotion, the emotion will be your guide. Also if you have any sort of checking type behaviour note them down before starting this.

E.g.

Thought . "I left the cooker on at home!" 

*Anxiety kicks in*

Thought. "OH NO! The house is going to burn down! 

*Anxiety amplifies*

(OCD METHOD THEN TO USE)...

"Yes I left the cooker on, the house is burning down, I left it on I know I left it on!"  (Taking care not to actually do any checking behaviour whatsoever (rushing home or calling someone at home... NOTHING!)) (No self reassuring whatsoever either)

*Anxiety triples*

Remain with the anxiety, keep amplifying if you have to, make yourself even more sure you left the cooker on! 

*Anxiety will naturally gradually reduce*

Keep repeating over and over and over again

🤜🤛

It will go or GREATLY reduce.

@Yousef Yes it is possible - but i think for it to be possible you have to be very open minded.  It happened to me about a month ago and it was amazing, but i had so much ego backlash that i think it's going to be very hard to get back if ever, with just mediation alone - although with music i have been able to achieve some mystical states, just not full non-duality.

Yes it is extremely difficult to let the thoughts come and go especially if they cause you such deep anxiety.  But keep working on it and don't give up!