CreamCat

Recommendation for Meditation Starter Kit

7 posts in this topic

Currently, I sit on my chair, lean my back on it, and meditate for 20 minutes everyday. It's not very comfortable, but it's not particularly uncomfortable, either. This chair is not designed for comfortable sleeping, but for sedentary work. Meditation is doable for 20 minutes on it, but I find myself often changing my posture on the chair.

Some people mentioned meditation cushion and meditation bench. Is it better to meditate on meditation cushion and also meditation bench than it is on my chair?

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat Trial and error. See what works for you :)

Have a switch around and see what appears the most comfortable for yourself. 

@CreamCat Changing my posture from back-against-the-wall to upright COMPLETELY took everything to the next level. The results from my practice increased by 50% just by making that one move. Granted, it took 3 weeks of excruciating lower back pain for my back to get strong enough. Trust me it's worth it. Buy a meditation cushion/ foam pad for 20 bucks and never look back.

@CreamCat Do whatever you gotta do to set up a situation where you can sit comfortably for 60 minutes without distractions.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

7 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

@Jcent What about using meditation bench on top of meditation cushion?

As said earlier it's entirely up to you!

Let's say you're doing Vipassana meditation. The "goal" of this meditation is to enter a state of deep concentration and mindfulness. Over the years Buddhist monks and such found that, for the majority of people, the ideal posture was sitting upright. That doesn't mean this position will please everybody. If you find that the best way for yourself to enter that state is on a bench, go ahead :)

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

Try sitting cross legged, sitting comfortably on a cushion, spine erect, and placing rolled up fleece blankets under your knees.

Sit as if you're really interested. As if someone is talking about your favorite subject.