traveler

General anesthesia effect on consciousness?

9 posts in this topic

I'm having a huge surgery in the future. Double jaw surgery. I'm gonna be under general anesthesia, and I'm interested if some of you have been through this as awakened beings. First of all I would like to know if it went smoothly, without problems. I interested this because I've been worried about anesthesia awareness, and if there is a higher risk if you are on a higher consciousness than most people? Also I'm interested in knowing what effect the anesthesia has had on your consciousness. 

It's a little unsettling that anesthesiologists doesn't really know how it works. This is because it works on the level of the understanding of consciousness. But doesn't this imply that your level of consciousness has a say in how much and how well it will work? And how is it that a drug is able to send you into total nothingness for hours and then turn you back after?

I actually think this is a very interesting topic. 

I've been under full anesthesia twice in recent years. It was a non-issue. I was out cold and didn't remember a thing. I woke up, reflected on the experience a bit and got on with life. 

9 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

I've been under full anesthesia twice in recent years. It was a non-issue. I was out cold and didn't remember a thing. I woke up, reflected on the experience a bit and got on with life. 

That is good to know, thanks! Where you in a non-dualistic state of mind in the period you underwent surgery, and do you think this can have an effect?  This might be a dumb question, but I'm interested. 

@Mikael89 That’s a great description. It’s not like waking up from sleep, where the mind-body knows time has passed. When I revived from anesthesia, there was no sense time had passed. I even asked the nurse when they would do the operation. She chuckled and told me they already did it. I then asked how could they have done it so fast?

I think what confuses people about anesthesia is that they use the term "unconscious," but it is not synonymous with the way we discuss consciousness in a non-duality sense. 

General anasthesia is great. You go off the grid and next thing you know, you're instantly done.

It's just like deep sleep, unless maybe they don't give you enough gas.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@traveler @Serotoninluv @Leo Gura Actually the last time I had general anesthesia something very interesting happened:

Probably after the surgery I opened my eyes for a bit and saw the lights on the ceiling, but there was no sense of time, space, ego, nothing... Just those lights without any context or metal filters. Even though it was short, and happened 2 years ago, I will never forget that experience! 

Same here, people described it perfectly - you blink once and it is all done, an uninterrupted stream of consciousness, as if nothing even happened.

Quite a curious experience. Explore the feeling afterwards though, it is somewhat of a disoriented, floaty feeling which might be a good position for contemplation or something else.

Edited by Flammable

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

21 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

@Leo Gura Have you been under general anesthesia?

On 5.12.2018 at 5:39 AM, Leo Gura said:

It's just like deep sleep, unless maybe they don't give you enough gas.

he‘s maybe talking about N2O

Edited by now is forever