luismatos

How do you handle Purging?

12 posts in this topic

Purging is that part of the spiritual process where some of your baggage is being dealt with. In other terms, self purification is happening at an unpleasant rate or deep emotions are surfacing.

After 2 years of meditation, following actualized.org, I realized there's tons and tons and tons of repressed material in the subconscious. When it comes to the surface, it's very unpleasant of course. This self purification is what's required to achieve higher levels of consciousness, but when dark stuff arises it can be hard to function in life.

For example, I might be very unpleasant to my family or just not have the energy to be with them (sometimes when heart-stuff is arising, I feel like a stone). Purging stomach-stuff brings much anxiety which makes it impossible to do any productive work. And so on...

I had my most intense purging after 1 year of meditation, followed by months of deep suffering and anxiety. Nowadays it's not as intense but it's still "a bummer."

What do you do when purging happens? Have you had any deep deep purging? How's your work, family, friends and life affected? I wanna know the negative side and how you guys feel about it, because we've all heard about the "good" side of purification.

@luismatos This is such an important topic that we need to discuss more about.

Purging feels like straight suffering at times. But afterwards, I feel lighter and more open to be vulnerable in difficult situations.

For me, purging has to do with repressing authentic emotions and desires. This often manifests in repeating dreams, telling me to open up.

@luismatos Hi during those moments self-care and self-love are really important. And yeah sometimes its really hard to function.
Also creativity as @Nahm is an extraordinarily useful practice in those times, especially when it comes to expressing emotionally. I really like playing piano and singing, also writing a gratitude journal and self-appraisal (listing the things I have done right when I am in spirals of unworthiness and low-self-esteem) are great tools.

1 hour ago, luismatos said:

What do you do when purging happens? Have you had any deep deep purging? How's your work, family, friends and life affected?

Honestly I can lie in bed for days when the emotional fatigue really comes.
I dont work but I am a university student and its been very hard to keep up with that, but somehow I have managed so far. Also when it comes to work and day-to-day activities, their benefit is the grounding they provide. Its quite crucial. 
When it comes to family and friends, the relatinoship side of your life will always be affected, as the emotional debris being buffed out has the most to do with our relationships. Sometimes it is time to set boundaries, to ask for space, or even to ask for support and for some to listen about what youre going through. And sometimes it is time for certain people to leave your life. If anything it makes relationships very dynamic.

1 hour ago, luismatos said:

For example, I might be very unpleasant to my family or just not have the energy to be with them (sometimes when heart-stuff is arising, I feel like a stone). Purging stomach-stuff brings much anxiety which makes it impossible to do any productive work. And so on...

Dont be shy to take time to yourself. Youre very young and so taking space from your family when going through spiritual transformation can spare you a lot of conflict. You see when were emotionally buffing out, the inner child within is (and it as every right to) will tend to blame a lot of family members... honestly because it has to, and it needs to be done. At the same time, when this happens we are not ready to be reasonable and lead meaningful and productive conversations with the people who have hurt us in the past. 
I am not gonna say take the pain you have gathered from your family and keep it to your self, because sometimes there is a lot of room for improvement in communication and reltionship dynamics. But when in moments of being emotionally triggered, it is not the best time for debating. 

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

Its good to let people know whats going on.  Be honest that your body is cleaning itself up... maybe even tell people that dont understand the concept that you are a bit sick or under the weather.

Its great to have loving friends that you can share with.  Without being too overbearing or needy, just both of you sharing the stuff that is being purged is really cathartic and healing by itself.

my 2 cents...

I suppose humour. "like tears in the rain".

Other than that Cold Rage, as hate is effectively a crime. Less attachment as well.

Recently bought Sadhguru's inner Engineering Book a Yogi's guide to inner Joy! on Audible. "Joy Joy Feelings". Trust him more than OSHO, will see if I still do after listening to his book. 

3 hours ago, luismatos said:

I wanna know the negative side and how you guys feel about it, because we've all heard about the "good" side of purification.

I haven't.

For Cold Rage I tend to think of the following execution clip  or something like the "Iceman." Play or characters

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED VIETNAM WAR EXECUTION.

Can you guys explain how the purging process occurs? Ive made insights while meditating that have led me to realize things I've repressed from childhood, or patterns of behavior I've fallen into in the past, etc. but I can't recall ever unearthing anything that traumatic. It makes me wonder if I'm bottling up a bunch that I need to figure out how to tap into.

4 hours ago, Sahil Pandit said:

@ZZZZ Have you tried Shamanic Breathing? If not, go for 10-15 minutes until you feel fear/doubt.

That fear/doubt, investigate it. 

I tried it once and never experienced any strong emotions. Just got kind of trippy visuals and an odd feeling from what I remember. Maybe I will revisit that video and method soon. There is a lot about breathing work that interests me. Not sure how the breath induces repressed emotions in this case 

13 hours ago, luismatos said:

I had my most intense purging after 1 year of meditation, followed by months of deep suffering and anxiety. Nowadays it's not as intense but it's still "a bummer."

What do you do when purging happens? Have you had any deep deep purging? How's your work, family, friends and life affected? I wanna know the negative side and how you guys feel about it, because we've all heard about the "good" side of purification.

Hmmm

Are you sure that that anxiety is not just you being you?

Maybe it has nothing to do with purging. Maybe you're just messed up inside and you're thinking this is because of purging.

Honestly I never experienced anything negative from meditation in my life. There were some purging moments but they where liberating feeling more then suffering. And lasted only during meditation. Not months on end.

Another explanation I can see possible is that you're doing some very crapy meditation techneque. Some youtube kundalini bullstuff. 

That ofcourse can lead you to many disbalances in the body and mind.

Edited by Salvijus

I deeply recommend Matt Kahn. He helped me more than anything else to look at the healing process in a healthy way. Because yes, you can be very unhealthy in the way you are treating your inner life and misinterpret it. It changed everything for me. Look into his YouTube videos, pick a title that speaks to you. 

I use Tantra and conscious trance meditation.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.