outlandish

Dr. Jack Daniels' running formula

24 posts in this topic

@outlandish I want to give my take on the whole “agonizing effort” as well because that’s actually a good question:

Depending on what you’re training for, a few times per training cycle. However, that really depends again on what you’re training for primarily because of recovery time. I call those workouts “see god days”. For example, a see god workout for a miler could be 10x400m with 60 sec rest for the first 7 reps at Mile pace/effort and then all out each of the last 3 reps with say 2 minute recovery. However, if you’re running a 50k mountain/ultra/trail race, that can be in the form of a depletion long run with a ton of vert or at an uptempo pace or something (be creative with how you torture yourself). Or if you’re marathoner you can make it a double day workout where you do a 10 mile tempo at marathon pace in the morning and then again in the afternoon (please don’t do that workout if you’re not aerobically conditioned).

Most solid quality days take about 10 days for a very very well conditioned to adapt to and truly bounce back from. I know coaches who will do those kinda workouts and they literally take the next 10 days just running super easy just to absorb that workout. So keep that in mind and be careful.

A good aerobic foundation is really important for these workouts to be of use otherwise youre just going to thrash yourself and not be able to recover completely. I’d use these 3/4 of the way into a training cycle. Or you could just make race day a see god day by doing some stuff after the race. 

3 hours ago, outlandish said:

A question for you and @Sahil Pandit: in your training, how often do you feel you should go into that agonizing level of effort?

Agonizing effort? Rarely. Reason being, there is no reason to do so this early on in the season xD

We are currently working on building a strong base that focuses on volume, while staying injury free, so that when we get closer to season, we can bring the volume down and increase the intensity. 

3 hours ago, outlandish said:

Is that where the real growth happens, or is it just self-punishment that's going beyond the stress signal that your body needs for adaptation, or is it something to embrace and go even further into?

Right now, i'm looking to instill good habits with my runners to make sure they enjoy themselves and the process.