Elisabeth

First shot at life purpose

9 posts in this topic

Yai! 

I just figured out how my [scientific endeavors and love for abstract ideas] and my urgent wish to [leave all that behind and go work with people directly in a coaching or therapy style] fit nicely together into one driving force and one LP formulation. It's (so far)

"Finding connections to open up new possibilities for people and the world at large to grow"

A lot of science is about finding these parallels between different ideas, and about creating new stuff by connecting what's already there. If you find an idea, a bridge between two fields, an entirely new field grows out of that initial idea. Connection=link, combination. A lot of helping people is about pointing out connections which were invisible (enabling growth). Connection=understanding. And a lot of genuineness and healing and joy between people comes from authentic relating, in a relationship, we grow. Connection=relationship. And then you can network and "connect" different people so that they can work together, both of their needs are met, and they grow. I love the word connection (I had to use more nouns in my native language). And I enjoy all these areas. It's a somehow similar feeling really. (And there's even more to it, like spirituality being about connection too.)

I know I have to get more specific with my work (I had a domain of mastery with theoretical physics, but it no longer suffices since I've realized all the other possibilities for discovery, growth, depth, connection, genuineness), but this is a great candidate for a guiding principle. 

Love :x  End of rant. 

Edited by Elisabeth

@Elisabeth That's a good idea, but you're right about needing to be more specific. Especially for something that abstract.

I would say find the biggest problems people have in life that could be solved using your domain, then work from there.

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

Now execute. Keep your goal in mind at alll times so sunconsious will have it. Keep your brain and mind up with supplements try krill oil and ormus. Try using audio visual systems to enhance your learning and enhancing youe affirmations amd visualization. Try box breathing 

@Elisabeth That's good progress, now figure out what that abstraction really means in concrete real-world terms.

You should be able to frame your impact statement in such a way that a child understands what your impact is on the world.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I have an idea. I need to hold myself accountable since I think it's great & I've still procrastinated on it for a week, so I'll write it out here. 

Last weekend I visited a mentoring workshop for "starting out" scientist (you know, in science, everyone that's within <8 years after their phd is apparently "starting out"). The workshop was surprisingly good, we did some visioning, goal-setting and sharing, to prepare for asking someone for mentoring. 

So, my ability to construct a compelling academic vision for myself approaches zero, so I don't think I'll be seeking a mentor in science. Yet what I do feel inspired to do, is talking to the lady who's organizing the mentoring program, to see how feasible it is to make something like that my next career line. You know, apparently, she somehow managed to get government money to do that, and she's doing something meaningful with it. It's a lot about connecting people, students with mentor & peer support, plus organizing and leading some personal development activities. And for scientifically-minded people, connection and personal development are missing. I had similar ideas myself (how peer-support groups for phd students are needed, and also how great it would be for people transitioning to college to have some support), but I didn't know how to go about that (or dare to). 

As you can see I'm placing some high hopes into this line of thinking, so that's probably why I'm fearful and procrastinating. But I want to contact her. I'll take her template for a mentoring plan and ask her if she would be willing to help me with that. I already know my two goals: finding out how realistic it is to make a living with something like that (i.e. understanding the financing options), and finding out if I would really enjoy that line of work (i.e. trying it out, perhaps helping with the organization stuff, offering myself as a mentor for younger people, if possible leading a part of a workshop, etc.). 

So the accountability part: I want to start today, and have my email ready tomorrow evening. (Uh, my stomach is clenching right now as I write it. Howgh.) 

Edited by Elisabeth

That sounds like a high Yellow level realm. I'm also in the sciences and tend to think abstractly, big picture, integration, inter-connectedness etc. I can also see how there are so many fragments in need of synthesis. For example, neuroscience, psychology, therapeutic modalities, yoga, meditation, reiki, medication, mind-altering drugs etc. Also, how intellectual theory, personal experience and social dynamics are all inter-related. There is so much to learn from each area, yet it is like people are in different camps and can't see how all the camps are inter-related. I think there is a need for Yellow level open minds that can see this and start connecting dots.

Understanding the science part can take many years of study and training. It also requires resources like access to education and money. I think people with solid science backgrounds that expand beyond science can make a great contribution. There just aren't many people like Deepak Chopra that have both scientific and spiritual integration. Even the Science and Nonduality conferences have few participants with extensive scientific background and understanding. Nearly all seem very heavy on nonduality with surface-level scientific understanding.  

Soooo, what about: "Building platforms to enable people to connect and come up with meaningful ideas"?

WeWork, which is valued at more than $1B does something similar!

My YouTube Channel: https://bit.ly/2PSLrNb

I sent the email, finally. We'll see.

On 26. 3. 2019 at 4:39 PM, Serotoninluv said:

Understanding the science part can take many years of study and training. It also requires resources like access to education and money. I think people with solid science backgrounds that expand beyond science can make a great contribution.   

@Serotoninluv Thanks for your encouragement.  (I don't feel solidly yellow, though, more green-ish.) Integration is daunting O:) I have to yet find a way to utilize my physics training outside of academia. Or, get my understanding of personal development into academia. I'd like to know more about your yellow level teaching and how you're making it work :)

On 28. 3. 2019 at 0:20 AM, Juan Cruz Giusto said:

Soooo, what about: "Building platforms to enable people to connect and come up with meaningful ideas"?

WeWork, which is valued at more than $1B does something similar!

Thanks, I looked them up, I like their mission. Not quite my area, but still. 

Edited by Elisabeth

She agreed! Here's for taking the first step in an unknown direction :)