7thLetter

Minimalists - Describe what your like is like?

12 posts in this topic

Been thinking about this lately, interested in how others live their lives.

I’ll start first. Haven’t really thought of myself as a minimalist, but I guess I can call myself one, although not completely because of my 9-5 and still pursuing money/freedom. Once I have the time freedom, my goal is to live life like what Leo described in his “Lifestyle Minimalism” video.

My life basically is, work 9-5 Monday to Friday. Gym after work for an hour Mon-Wed, Sat. Then stay at home after all that, dedicated to figuring out my financial situation, then of course watching Leo’s videos. On weekends, got the whole day, meditate 30mins Sat & Sun (I know I should everyday), then stay in, read books, watch videos. From time to time I’ll go out by the water and just enjoy nature. Only got 1-2 people I can call friends, I only choose to hang with them once every two-weeks or month. I just value my time and love my solitude. Money is only saved, spent on food, rent, and investments. Rarely buy clothes or entertainment.

Some noteable habits: Affirmations, listening to Leo podcasts at work, journalling, contemplation, then meditation, gym, and reading like I mentioned.

What is your life like?

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@7thLetter My life is based more around the seasons.

If its summer, i'll be outside a lot more and either running, biking, and working on my fitness. 

If it's fall or becoming fall, i spend more time walking and contemplating nearer in the evening time. More questioning what i'm doing and why around that time as well.

In terms of minimalism, I always try to declutter and put things away in there correct place. Also, i've gotten rid of most of my stuff that i don't use regularly. 

I've always been a minimalist.  I used to move around a lot, and because I've been by myself a lot in my life, I didn't really have anybody to help me move, so I sort of learned how to live with the bare minimal amount of stuff.  If I need something, I can usually pick it up on the street when someone is getting rid of it like a dresser or desk or something.  An then when I move out, I don't really give a shit about leaving stuff behind.  I went to Athens Greece for 2 weeks with one overstuffed carry on backpack and the hotel receptionist in Athens laughed at me and said she would need like 2 suitcases minimum.  So, yeah -- 2 weeks in Athens on a backpack! -- That's minimalism -- And I had everything I needed in there too -- I had to hit up a laundromat once or twice but that's no problem in most countries

Edited by Joseph Maynor

work 9-5 in a work I hate. Save the 80% of my salary, dont buy clothes nor stupid things. Just want to save to buy my freedom. With the saved 1 year i can live 3 years without working, (in a minimalist way). I just need to work 14 years till i die. But having to work is the root cause of all my unhappines, because remember that we all are being slaves.

You can still enjoy work  and not label it as misery, it is you who makes thous images of it taking away your happiness, as if you must be somewhere else to be happy, but I understand that it takes allot of time to actually implement it in your life and everyone has their own way, 

I use to have a high paying corporate job. I had a 6 bedroom house. All the toys. The red sports car. It consumed my life. I gave it all up. The house, the job, all my possessions. I haven't "worked" in 8 years. I have plenty of money to live. One doesn't actually need much. I spend about $300 a month for food, shelter, and such. That I can make easily performing, or helping others. Only possessions I have are clothes. I have no attachments to material things. I have nothing to do. No one owns me or controls me. Nothing to do now, but be. Only thing left is to enjoy every moment of life. 

1 hour ago, Sahil Pandit said:

@Jed Vassallo Was extreme suffering the cause of your shift from corporate to where you are now? 

I wouldn't quite say suffering. More unhappiness. None of what everyone told me would bring happiness to my life actually did. Quite the opposite. The more I had, the more empty I felt. Decided the only path to take was inward. A spiritual path. Pursuing worldly possessions, money, women, toys, parties, it all is chasing happiness. Once you get it, the happiness very soon fades to unfulfillment. An endless cycle of of unhappiness, seeking possessions. Always seeking fulfillment from outside, instead of inside. Once I started to shed my worldly possessions, I started to feel lighter, more free. Because I no longer had to pay for all that crap, I no longer had to earn that much to survive, which freed me up to pursue happiness from within. 

@Jed Vassallo  Wow, $300 a month for food and shelter etc? Please teach me your ways!

I recently reorganized my life to allow more freedom and the pursuit of enlightenment. I'm not very disciplined yet, but I'm getting there. I work 12 hours a week and make about $1500~$1700 a month. But my expenses are around $500 for rent and utilities (that's my half- I live with my partner), and $200 a month for food and supplies. Jed, what's your secret? Do you have like 3 roommates and farm your own food?  (ha, just kidding, sort of, but do tell!)

@Jed Vassallo read On Swami’s memoir. It’s really going to resonate and touch you. 

I see you live in Seattle but you live $300 p/month there for food, shelter, everything? Seattle is pretty pricey man. I mean I live (at home) in SF which is a bit more expensive but Seattle is creeping up there. How do you live in Seattle pay $300 for everything? What do you do? Do you have a car at all? Awesome background though. Glad you’re at where you’re at.