daniel695

A critique of Jordan Peterson

10 posts in this topic

here is a video by daniel Mackler, he goes deep on his rule #5 of the book 12 rules for life : Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them. also how Jordan Peterson misunderstands just how much kids are affected by childhood trauma and its not all nature or genetics.

I skipped that chapter because I don't have kids. I think you should let kids do whatever they want. Let them make lots of mistakes so they can learn from it. And learn to make their own decisions.

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

@daniel695 Children that socialize in ways that cause them to become repulsive to others tend to grow up to be adults that socialize with others in ways that repulse others.

Life is not kind to repulsive people.

3 hours ago, Matt8800 said:

@daniel695 Children that socialize in ways that cause them to become repulsive to others tend to grow up to be adults that socialize with others in ways that repulse others.

This was pretty much JP's point in that chapter.

My parents wanted me to get a job, go to school for more college, marry someone of my own race, follow the rules of our tradition, believe in God, listen to certain music, eat certain foods, do certain major in school, have a certain work ethic etc. 

It was painful and challenging to rebel against all of those lol. They disliked me for when I rebelled against them

It's really important to give your kid freedom and to see your own ignorance. you need to trust your kid, resulting him in trusting himself

My belief is that as a parent, you should offer your opinion, but let your child make his own choices. 

My dad compared me to an alcoholic and he's just trying to sober me down, and he doesn't know where the line is to draw. If I was in his position and I wanted my child to make certain decisions in attempt to save his future, I would offer my opinion, but not force it upon him. I'd trust him that he will figure it out eventually, giving him the tools to make it out of whatever situation that he ends up in, and offering my support when he needs it. 

but yeah, that law isn't a good law imo

JP is talking about those parents who let their kids pull tantrum behavior on them in public. 

Not kids who are trying to find themselves through expression. 

edit:

He even has a separate chapter discussing how we should let kids be kids, In chapter 12 (or 11) I believe is titled, let kids skateboard.

Edited by SgtPepper

4 hours ago, Matt8800 said:

Children that socialize in ways that cause them to become repulsive to others tend to grow up to be adults that socialize with others in ways that repulse others.

This is true but as the guy in the video points out, if you then use that to justify blindly following the role that 'if your child triggers a negative emotion in you it must be something wrong with the child' then that's not good. Both make good points. The right way to go about this is to not use the rule blindly but to make finer distinctions. Which of the child's behaviors will make others dislike him, and which behaviors are only triggering to your own shadow(or "hidden away traumas" as the guy put it)?

The road to God is paved with bliss.

7 hours ago, Matt8800 said:

@Matt8800 what do you mean by that?

7 hours ago, Matt8800 said:

Children that socialize in ways that cause them to become repulsive to others tend to grow up to be adults that socialize with others in ways that repulse others.

if you find someone repulsive its most likely got to do something with you rather then the person you find repulsive.

4 hours ago, d0ornokey said:

My parents wanted me to get a job, go to school for more college, marry someone of my own race, follow the rules of our tradition, believe in God, listen to certain music, eat certain foods, do certain major in school, have a certain work ethic etc. 

It was painful and challenging to rebel against all of those lol. They disliked me for when I rebelled against them

It's really important to give your kid freedom and to see your own ignorance. you need to trust your kid, resulting him in trusting himself

My belief is that as a parent, you should offer your opinion, but let your child make his own choices. 

My dad compared me to an alcoholic and he's just trying to sober me down, and he doesn't know where the line is to draw. If I was in his position and I wanted my child to make certain decisions in attempt to save his future, I would offer my opinion, but not force it upon him. I'd trust him that he will figure it out eventually, giving him the tools to make it out of whatever situation that he ends up in, and offering my support when he needs it. 

but yeah, that law isn't a good law imo

I appreciate this post.  I kinda did this too in my life, follow my own path.  I probably didn't do anything that anybody in my family expected me to do.  Since there are pros and cons to everything, there are pros and cons to the path I took.  One of the cons is it's a lonely path.  It's a path where there is no trail and I'm out there every day with a machete trying to create a new path.  This is very different from a life where you're kinda taken care of by your family so long as you do what they want you do.  They will set you up with all their connections and whatnot to take a lot of the risk of failure off your plate.  That wasn't my life for sure.  My life was like I have this degree in Philosophy, now what?  I did what I love in school, and paradoxically there was nothing there to meet me half-way and tell me this is what your career should be after graduation.  And this is why I'm so passionate about Life Purpose Work, because I lacked this knowledge when I needed it the most.  If I can help people have that Life Purpose knowledge, somebody like me who exited school without any system to meet me half-way or to assist me -- then that's a f*cking awesome way for me to contribute back to reality!  One of the features of growing up in a well-connected and good family is that they have the resources to get you into a job and make sure that the person you're working for is already vetted.  I didn't have that.  I left school and took a crap-shot at working for all kinds of people.  When you come from a good family, you can also get set up in housing that somebody in your family has already vetted for you.  This is the value of having social connections.  When you don't have social connections, you're on your own.  I've felt like I've been on my own my entire life, and I didn't always know how to create and develop my own career like I do now.

Edited by Joseph Maynor