EvilAngel

What is bipolar disorder from a spiritual perpective?

44 posts in this topic

I have not been diagnosed with this condition, but I relate to the experience of having periods of elation followed by periods of severe depression. Is this a simple brain disorder or is it a disorder of the ego? What is your opinion?

From Mayoclinic.org:

Causes

The exact cause of bipolar disorder is unknown, but several factors may be involved, such as:

Biological differences. People with bipolar disorder appear to have physical changes in their brains. The significance of these changes is still uncertain but may eventually help pinpoint causes.

Genetics. Bipolar disorder is more common in people who have a first-degree relative, such as a sibling or parent, with the condition. Researchers are trying to find genes that may be involved in causing bipolar disorder.

--------------------

My opinion is that there is no spiritual/ ego connection, more so then anything else. It's a mood disorder and ppl can be on any point on the mood spectrum. As there is Bipolar 1 and bipolar 2 disorder with a bit of different symptoms (ie, Bipolar 1 has mania vs bipolar 2 hypomania).

Many ppl with bipolar take there meds and live a fairly normal life. While some, that are effected severely will have issues regardless of medication.

So, it depends where they are on the spectrum and also how committed to being medication/therapy compliant.

My 2 cents.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

45 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

From Mayoclinic.org:

Causes

The exact cause of bipolar disorder is unknown, but several factors may be involved, such as:

Biological differences. People with bipolar disorder appear to have physical changes in their brains. The significance of these changes is still uncertain but may eventually help pinpoint causes.

Genetics. Bipolar disorder is more common in people who have a first-degree relative, such as a sibling or parent, with the condition. Researchers are trying to find genes that may be involved in causing bipolar disorder.

--------------------

My opinion is that there is no spiritual/ ego connection, more so then anything else. It's a mood disorder and ppl can be on any point on the mood spectrum. As there is Bipolar 1 and bipolar 2 disorder with a bit of different symptoms (ie, Bipolar 1 has mania vs bipolar 2 hypomania).

Many ppl with bipolar take there meds and live a fairly normal life. While some, that are effected severely will have issues regardless of medication.

So, it depends where they are on the spectrum and also how committed to being medication/therapy compliant.

My 2 cents.

I see what you're saying, but the "genetics" argument could be explained by learned behaviours from said sibling/parent. I personally believe it is too prevalent to be a solely neurological matter. I believe there is  a spiritual component and it is probably the main component. But I could be wrong. 

I'd say you haven't done enough research on Bipolar disorder. You don't "learn" the disorder. Studies have been done on family members (twins) that weren't raised together for example. 

Why do you think there's a spiritual component? Is there a spiritual component to diabetes?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Oh, and regarding the amount/rate of diagnosis, which I don't know what  it is or why you think it's high. Perhaps some are not being diagnosed properly by a psychiatrist. 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@EvilAngel One can most certainly have a spiritual awakening through manic episodes/psychosis. It just may not always be manageable, but most definitely experienced and understood.

It has been shown for instance, that there is a close connection between Shamanism and Schizophrenia. There is sublime familiarity. From a Shamanic perspective, it is believed that mental illness simply implies "the birth of a healer".

Edited by VioletFlame

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

9 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Why do you think there's a spiritual component? Is there a spiritual component to diabetes?

I would say there is a psychological component to diabetes. Identification with certain experiences/sensations like excessive sugar consumption, then we seek those experiences/sensations again and again and pleasure is born and so is the possibility of diabetes. 

Edited by Jack River

@Jack River That's only diabetes caused by obesity.

Not all diabetics are sugarholics or obese.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

2 hours ago, EvilAngel said:

I have not been diagnosed with this condition, but I relate to the experience of having periods of elation followed by periods of severe depression. Is this a simple brain disorder or is it a disorder of the ego? What is your opinion?

Hey there absolutely is a spiritual component to this.
If you think of ego not just as the identification with your body and mind, but also as the energetic, emotional and psychological components and patterns held within the nervous system and the cells of your body (DNA). 
The reason why I am saying this is that something within me just wants to scream any time someone has a deterministic view of a mental illness, and puts it into a category of "cant be solved with emotional transformation, must be genetic, learn to live with it".

I think what many dont realize is that there is a lot of biological components to spirituality, awakening, transformation of emotions and thoughts - its all very much in the body. And so I would say that spirituality that nourishes the body, loves the body, embraces the body and the mind as divine creations will be enormously helpful and functional. It will be the self-care practices, self-love affirmations and embracement, relaxation and self-compassion that will do magic for you.

What will not necessarily be too helpful is the "abandoning spirituality" (Its kinda trendy on the forum to be honest) - self-enquiry, dis-identification etc.

And by the way to address the genetic component - ego are patterns that have been repeated throughout history enough times that they get ingrained into the DNA and culture (collective unconsciousness).

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

Matter can effect thought/psyhe and thought/psyche can effect matter to a degree. 

3 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

@Jack River That's only diabetes caused by obesity.

Not all diabetics are sugarholics or obese.

I feel ya. 

Edited by Jack River

I have Bipolar 2.  My mother who didn't raise me past 5 yrs of age had Bipolar 1. 

Medication compliance allows me to function properly, then like any other person emotional/mind/body has to be addressed as things arise. 

I'm also a nurse and worked on a psych unit for a time, so have professional experience as well. 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 minute ago, Anna1 said:

I'm also a nurse and worked on a psych unit for a time, so have professional experience as well.

Thats wonderful thank you for taking your experience with the condition and turning it into something thats helpful to others.

And again, I encourage you to look within yourself, and find the part of you that doesnt give up hope, doesnt settle for a diagnosis, and is willing to be transformed and embraced as the glorious creation that you are.

43 minutes ago, VioletFlame said:

@Angelite One can most certainly have a spiritual awakening through manic episodes/psychosis. It just may not always be manageable, but most definitely experienced and understood.

It has been shown for instance, that there is a close connection between Shamanism and Schizophrenia. There is sublime familiarity. From a Shamanic perspective, it is believed that mental illness simply implies "the birth of a healer".

Why? I am just a practicing Muslim~ You simply understand things better with gaining knowledge and unbias observations.

Edited by Angelite

9 minutes ago, Martin123 said:

And again, I encourage you to look within yourself, and find the part of you that doesnt give up hope, doesnt settle for a diagnosis, and is willing to be transformed and embraced as the glorious creation that you are.

I choose to not live in denial. It's extremely important that if you have been properly diagnosed by a psychiatrist with Bipolar that you're medication compliant. It's irresponsible to tell ppl otherwise. 

Unless you would like them becoming manic or suicidally depressed on your shoulders? I'm a suicide surviver -year 2009. So, don't lecture me.

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I've been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 and I'm on medication for it. My 2 severe manic episodes were both heavily centered around spirituality. Both times it felt like I was tripping, though I've never taken psychedelics before. It was scary at times, but I also experienced the greatest highs of my life. I truly felt like I had known God and seen the devil in myself. If you truly have this insight into the nature of yourself, it's the most absolutely terrifying and beautiful thing you will ever experience.

However, I wouldn't wish this condition upon anyone. It's not exactly like a trip in that you're never sure if it will end or if you will lose your mind permanently and feel as though you're living in a different dimension than others. I also truly believed that I was going to physically die from it. If not by suicide then by sleep deprivation.

Edited by zenjen

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

I choose to not live in denial. It's extremely important that if you have been diagnosed the Bipolar that you're medication compliant. It's irresponsible to tell ppl otherwise. 

Unless you would like them becoming manic or suicidally depressed on your shoulders? I'm a suicide surviver -year 2009. So, don't lecture me.

Oh I’m sorry for the pain of your past. I actually didn’t mean to suggest forfeiting meds at all, and I absolutely agree that it’s a responsible thing to take them if needed, I should have made that distinction right away.

See I’m not saying that bipolar isn’t real, I am saying that there is room for recovery and healing.

And not at all trying to lecture you, it is merely my deep desire to spark up hope within your heart. :) 

@Martin123 Didn't you write an emotional healing guide of some sort on here? I read it the first time I was manic and it really helped me

Edit: ah yes here it is :)

Edited by zenjen

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

Just now, zenjen said:

@Martin123 Didn't you write an emotional healing guide of some sort on here? I read it the first time I was manic and it really helped me

Oh yeah that’s a long time ago! Haha that’s amazing I love that.

6 minutes ago, Martin123 said:

it is merely my deep desire to spark up hope within your heart. :) 

I'm totally fine. Why are you saying I need hope, for what? What are you inferring?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I'm totally fine. Why are you saying I need hope, for what? What are you inferring?

I am inferrIng that you are worthy of living life mental-illness free. I am not saying it’s not real, but you deserve (I am not saying you should do this? I am saying you deserve) fully healed body and mind. Not telling you what to do, nor saying you are wrong In any way.

I just wish to say what you deserve, and maybe a part of you can resonate with that.