Wisebaxter

How do I know if I've had a mystical experience

42 posts in this topic

Is it the kind of thing that slaps you around the face, that you really can't miss? Do fireworks shoot out of your asshole or something? I was hoping I'd seen the Ox but I'm really not sure. I mean, I can reside as awareness on command, outside of the land of dualities, and I feel like it's my true nature. I get that my self identity is a lie and that being, the 'Now' is all there is and that's what I am in essence and that it's infinite. But it feels like I 'know' it more than I've experienced it, though the knowing feels very profound and tangible. When I meditate I get a nice warm, fuzzy feeling all over my body...but what does a mystical experience feel like? Can someone describe it? Lots of gurus say that having some kind of sensual experience isn't it at all and its more like just experiencing your true nature, like quite a simple thing, so what am I looking for? I need to catch me a glimpse of that Ox's ass ASAP. Should I just do some psychedelics and be done with it? I was going to do that anyway but I kind of wanted to see that bugger first so I don't feel like I cheated straight off the bat y'know? 

Edited by Wisebaxter

@Wisebaxter Once you catch a glimpse of the Ox, it can't be unseen or taken away.

Your whole life and identity can get dramatically re-contextualized.

Knowledge, and concepts are helpful, but in the end, they serve as the map not the territory. 

To me, it sounds like your "knowing" is preventing you from "not knowing" -- feeling the expansion you are looking for.

@Sahil Pandit Yeah interesting you should say that as iI'm just watching an Adyashanti video and he's saying you just have to give up wanting and surrender. Give up trying to get it with your mind and feel it with your heart. I'm always trying to grasp something with my mind, to achieve some kind of 'state.' 
It's funny though as my life did get drastically re-contexualized after I read the Power of Now. I just came fully into the moment, stopped suffering almost completely. I let go of all my desires. It felt like some kind of awakening. I think I just have to let go even more though as the desires are still there under the surface and I still feel this need to be 'doing' all of the time and chasing my life purpose. I still worry that I won't amount to anything. I just wish I could have an experience, like some kind of big event to fire me up and get me even more motivated. Not that I'll ever stop the practices anyway as they've already benefited me to much, even with a mystical experience. 

@Wisebaxter You're well on your way to having a mystical experience. You're giving up your ego mind more and more, which is exactly what needs to happen. What's your schedule like? Do you have time to just BE? Can you sit by yourself for an extended period of time and just be conscious of your surroundings? 

@Sahil Pandit Cool man, I sure hope so :) I totally feel like I'm gaining ground on the Ox, like there's something divine happening. I Recently gave up on the notion of free will too and that seemed to shift my consciousness even more and I felt a load more weight just 'shift.' I now get this sense that I'm closer to my true nature.
Yeah actually my schedule couldn't be better. I'm not working at present so I have all day to myself to do whatever I like. This has helped me massively. At the moment I'm reading mainly turquoise books, going to the gym every day and doing 40mins of meditation, 30mins of visualisation and various other practices I got from Leo's videos, like practicing 'being cognition,' noting self deception mechanisms, stuff like that. But I have this sense that I need to start some hardcore self enquiry and contemplation, perhaps some psychedelics (although I wanted to do more personal development first). I'm reading a book on shadow work at the moment though which is amazing, but still, I need something that's gonna take me deeper...maybe more meditation too...but you're saying that the best way would be to just sit and be conscious of my surroundings? This is a good method huh? 
Oh yeah I'm doing a bit of life purpose stuff too, music production :) 

Edited by Wisebaxter

1 minute ago, Sahil Pandit said:

@Wisebaxter Dude you're a badass, keep up the great work.

Keep surrendering, and face any negative feelings with upmost awareness, don't cave into them. 

Keep hacking away my friend! 

Ah thanks for saying that man, I really appreciate it. It's nice to get that kind of encouragement as I'm quite a hermit and don't speak to many people to get feedback. You've made my day there. 
Uncanny you should mention negative feelings. This has been an issue for me over the past week. Have been getting bad cravings for weed again. I gave up a 20 year habit 4 months back and haven't wanted it until recently. But I'm gonna power through it with the strength of my self-actualizing vision. Plus I know the cravings are an illusion anyway just based on images in my head, words and feelings. Pure awareness is always perfect so I'll just reside in that. Thanks again bro

@aurum Ok dude, so there's my answer...I'll just keep following the footprints diligently and with faith. 

@Wisebaxter Since you're asking, that means you haven't had one yet. Because once you have one, it is very obvious. It's something totally new that lies outside the realm of ordinary material human experience. It's an "impossible" experience. It will seem physically & logically impossible.

Just as a hypothetical example: if you were sitting there eating an apple and it suddenly transformed into an orange. That would be akin to a mystical experience.

Or, for example, if you experienced what death was like and then you came back to tell about it. That would be another.

There are MANY different types of mystical experiences. Seeing the ox is certainly one of them -- and perhaps the most important one -- but it is far from the only one that can be had.

The fastest way to have a mystical experience is via psychedelics. Psychedelics guarantee mystical experiences. Mystical experiences are simply experiences which violate the laws of physical reality as you've come to believe in them.

You don't want to get caught chasing mystical experiences, but on the other hand, having a few mystical experience is very important in order to show you that there's more to reality than meets the eye, and also to motivate you get more serious about the practices.

You're not going to be able to sustain meditating hardcore, year after year, without seeing some kind of results. You will get demotivated and quit. So do whatever is necessary to get at least that first mystical experience. If only just a long session of shamanic breathing.

Results in spiritual work are important. Otherwise you will quit.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Ah cool, thanks for clarifying Leo. I'll grab myself some AL-LAD and get cracking with it then. Remember you saying it was a good starter substance. I've been stalling on it a bit because I was worried I had some unconscious baggage that might come up during the trip, but it's nothing too major, just some failed relationships, some resentment towards my parents for making their love unconditional, the usual shit. I'm knocking out a bit of shadow work right now so that should take the edge off :) 

@Wisebaxter The weed habit is coming back because it's easier to backslide than to move forward! I had a similar experience happen to me. 

Expect the mind to throw all kinds of tricks your way.

Maybe the mind will ask you to smoke, or to stuff yourself full of junk food, or maybe to binge watch a TV series, etc.

Don't get tricked ;) 

@Wisebaxter Psychedelics are profoundly therapeutic. They will help you sort all that shit out.

It just isn't always a cakewalk. Sorting some of that shit out can be emotionally taxing. But that's all good. That's exactly what produces true growth. Even the bad trips are good in retrospect.

You don't have to worry too much about bad trips. But you do need to follow proper protocol, ensuring your set, setting, and dosages are proper.

@Serotoninluv Well that's what I'll do then. Problem is I live with a bunch of people, my girlfriend and two of her tenants as well as six frigging cats that I'm sure will freak me out if I'm tripping. I've never done any psychedelics before you see. I could shut myself in my office but I'd have to come out for food. Unless I stock up in there. I was thinking of pretending I'm sick over Christmas and tripping on Christmas Day as everyone will be going home to see their families. But then I might get a major guilt attack because I'm not with my family and start sobbing or something lol. Anyway I'll figure it out. 

@Wisebaxter Just rent a cheap motel room on the outskirts of town. You definitely don't want to be tripping amidst that chaotic scene.

You can prepare some snacks, like a packed lunch.

@Leo Gura Gocha man, I'll go for some good personal growth then and prepare myself for a possible bumpy ride. I think I'll be ok as I used to smoke massive bongs and had weed induced panic attacks on numerous occasions. But I won't underestimate the power of psychedelics, that would be dumb. 
Good idea about the motel, I hadn't thought of that....thanks for the tips 

@Wisebaxter Oh my! That is not a good setting! Especially for a novice ?

You could do it out in nature. I just wouldn’t want to be around lots of people.

If you have anxiety issues, I would consider having a benzo or etizolam on hand. I’ve never actually used it, yet even having it handy and knowing I coukd kill the trip if I needed to, settled me down and gave me confidence.

10 minutes ago, Sahil Pandit said:

@Wisebaxter The weed habit is coming back because it's easier to backslide than to move forward! I had a similar experience happen to me. 

Expect the mind to throw all kinds of tricks your way.

Maybe the mind will ask you to smoke, or to stuff yourself full of junk food, or maybe to binge watch a TV series, etc.

Don't get tricked ;) 

@Sahil Pandit Yeah I do remember Leo saying that you can get ego backlash after a while when starting a meditation habit. You'll think you've given stuff up then wham! the cravings return. Well this time I'm ready...I know why it's happening and I won't backslide. I'm gonna see it as a good sign that I'm making progress and thank the universe for giving me this blessed sign :) I've come to far to screw up now. 

@Serotoninluv Yeah I did consider being out in nature, but it's cold as shit here right now lol. Freezing my arse off might be an even worse decision, unless while I'm tripping I think I've become the abominable snow man and take it in my stride :) 
I think rent a cheap motel like Leo suggested. We having something here called Travel lodge, £45 per night. I'll stock up with food in there and I'll be gravy. 

34 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Wisebaxter Just as a hypothetical example: if you were sitting there eating an apple and it suddenly transformed into an orange. That would be akin to a mystical experience.

Or, for example, if you experienced what death was like and then you came back to tell about it. That would be another.

Nice examples. My mind is trying to come up with another one.

Perhaps, if your awareness experienced another person’s mind-body.

Or, if you were transported back to 1945 and had to navigate your way around.

Yet, it’s still not radical enough, because the mind can still sort of imagine it. I don’t think the mind can imagine what a psychedelic mystical experience would be like. My mind couldn’t have.