Laura

A Test To Find Out Your Lifetraps Aka The Subconcious Negative Lenses

9 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I thought to open this topic about this test I found really useful to understand and to conceptualize the negative interpretation patterns. I found out about this three years ago at the point when I had really low self-esteem due several reasons. The thing is that this test and these conceptualized idea of lifetraps really helps to become aware about the things that have cumulate in your life since childhood. The idea is that as children we were helpless when we faced difficult situations like bullying or our parents divorce and at that point the lifetrap is planted. My personal tragedy and  as a child was that through my 6 six elementary school years I was in four different schools. I never faced direct bullying and at the end of the day I always made friends, but still I always felt I was the new kid and the odd one out especially in the school environtment. I´m 29 now and studying in college and it´s funny that this thing hounds me even and especially today. I have a hard time to be authentic and I´m really avoiding social contact, because I still feel that I don´t belong.  So in that case my biggest lifetrap are Social isolation and Seeking for approval. 

Other lifetraps that has been conceptualized are : 

Abandonment / Abuse / Approval seeking / Defectiveness /Dependence / Emotional depriviation / Emotional inhibation / Enmeshment / Entitlement / Failure

Insufficient self-control / Pessimism /Punitiveness / Self-sacrifice / Social isolation / Subjugation / Unrelenting standards / Vulnerability

The test can be found here: http://www.lifetraptest.com 

I thought to post this here on this forum, because it will help you to gather awareness of your negative thinking patterns that have evolved in you since childhood. I think this can be a really valuable tool to selfactualize, especially if you want to study your negative emotions and the behaviour to not correct, but accept those and thru that with the help of mindfulness reduce the control of them. It´s like confronting the ghosts that have shaped you. 

It would be great to hear about your lifetraps and the story behind them and if you have learned to live with those.. 

@Laura

While it's important to overcome these "lifetraps", it is advised to also (and more so) concentrate and acknowledge the "positives" you already have.

It can become a trap in itself to run after traps.

Handle them as they come up into your view.

But don't forget to acknowledge the positive aspects of your life.

Your sense of "not belonging" can also come from the fact that your interests and basic motivations are totally different to all the peoples in your environment. You are different. But is it really a curse? Or maybe a blessing?

The book about the Sedona Releasing Method has many good processes to release some of the items on the list you shared (from the website).

There are many techniques available to approach these.

But really, I encourage you to make a list of 10 to 20 positives you are aware of in your own life (habbits, achievements, personality/character traits, et al).

Kind regards,
Chris

Fair enough, @Socrates. It's good you bring it to the table.

But not recognising a situation for what it is (curse or blessing) as in the questions I put above can bring about lots of strife and focusin on the negatives.

Giving yourself (or others) wrong "reasons" is worst of all.

In my practice, I follow the positives and the wants/goals. (spiritual and mundane aswell)
This brings about the negatives that need recognition and handling.
After handling, back to the positives. 

Simple rules of practice:

• never end any session before the thing is fully handled. (Especially if it's a negative aspect.)
  • If the thing to be handled is a monster, split it down into pieces and handle the pieces until you handle the whole.
  • acknowledge, integrate and celebrate your new won or regained insight, ability (if it's something technical) or truth

But we digress ;-)

Edited by Isle of View

On 4/9/2016 at 9:20 AM, Isle of View said:

Now I am laughing pretty hard here @Isle of View since I fell into the trap of taking the trap test :D HAHAHAHA  I even emailed it to my counselor just to drive the point home.   HAHAHAHAHAHA

On 4/8/2016 at 11:55 PM, Laura said:

I thought to post this here on this forum, because it will help you to gather awareness of your negative thinking patterns that have evolved in you since childhood. I think this can be a really valuable tool to selfactualize, especially if you want to study your negative emotions and the behaviour to not correct, but accept those and thru that with the help of mindfulness reduce the control of them. It´s like confronting the ghosts that have shaped you. 

It would be great to hear about your lifetraps and the story behind them and if you have learned to live with those.. 

@Laura, While I am laughing about it, I do think you make a positive point.  There is a balance I think between focusing on the positive and the negative.   Personally sometimes I can get mired in my own negative to the exclusion of seeing anything positive so the trap of the trap test is it could feel overwhelming or hopeless for some.   There is a difference between reliving trauma to resolve it and rehearsing it which simply keeps you focused in that emotional state versus moving beyond it.   It can be an interesting balance to find.

That said, every now and again, it can take a brick to the head so to speak to face self  defeating patterns so this can be a good tool for awareness of what to work on; exactly how I presented it to my counselor. ;)  Thank you for sharing it.

16 minutes ago, Kelley White said:
On 9.4.2016 at 6:20 PM, Isle of View said:

Now I am laughing pretty hard here @Isle of View since I fell into the trap of taking the trap test :D HAHAHAHA  I even emailed it to my counselor just to drive the point home.   HAHAHAHAHAHA

LOL :-)

Thank for sharing! 

I think it's useful to know these because it helps explain reasons behind any dysfunctional behaviours or difficulties you may have 

As long as you don't beat yourself up about having those weaknesses or start labelling yourself with them to the point that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when you could've moved out of those issues 

21 hours ago, Saarah said:

I think it's useful to know these because it helps explain reasons behind any dysfunctional behaviours or difficulties you may have 

As long as you don't beat yourself up about having those weaknesses or start labelling yourself with them to the point that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when you could've moved out of those issues 

Very true @Saarah