Goutam nimmakayala

Indian culture

22 posts in this topic

Hi @Leo Gura ,

It’s high time you shoot a video on india . Almost everything you mentioned comes from ancient india and it holds no date . Indian heritage starts from shiva , krishna , Buddha to Sadhguru . You never mention their ways and about ancient india which is the the birth place of spirituality and all of us are indebted to them for providing almost all the spiritual practices like yoga and vippasanna .

@Goutam nimmakayala The West has caught onto almost all of the spiritual aspects that India ever had. I don’t think studying Indian culture will benefit us any longer. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wiseyou have No Idea how little the west has ever learnt from India. The west has studied India but never experienced India. 

On 26/11/2018 at 9:10 PM, How to be wise said:

@Goutam nimmakayala The West has caught onto almost all of the spiritual aspects that India ever had. I don’t think studying Indian culture will benefit us any longer. 

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi

On 26/11/2018 at 9:10 PM, How to be wise said:

@How to be wise And the west or any people can't catch onto India's variety and culture to the fullest because you cannot substitute experience for knowledge. 

And regarding what the west will benefit from Indian culture, there are many things that the west can still learn from India. You just need to experience India. It can't be told in words. 

You are always welcome in India!

@Anirban657 im saying that there is no longer something that can be found in India that we can’t get from the west. And as for ‘experience of India’, India is a very underdeveloped place, with weak infrastructure compared to the west. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

9 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@Anirban657 im saying that there is no longer something that can be found in India that we can’t get from the west. And as for ‘experience of India’, India is a very underdeveloped place, with weak infrastructure compared to the west. 

A lot of the spiritual life in the west does come original from Asia, not only India But it is important to see the difference in Spiritual life and modern infrastructure. West have become very materalistic while East have still the most population who are spiritual in some way.

To stat that there is no longer anything in Inda is not fully true. There is still a lot of spirituality there, but yes the main religions have moved of of India and example Buddhism has moved mainly to Thailand. That does not make India a bad place for a religious person.

But due to politics India is less of a spiritual country now then it was before, that is true.

Edited by Amanaki

@How to be wise Even I can't learn anything from a 5 star hotel in India. The hotels,schools,business are under developed but the culture is as strong as ever. Even I don't care about american infrastructure.

@Amanaki look at all of the spiritual teachers today. Are they from India? Other than Sadhguru, Ravi Shankar and a few others, look at where the rest of the enlightened beings are from. Where did they grow up in? Where did they become enlightened in? THE WEST.

Just now, How to be wise said:

@Amanaki look at all of the spiritual teachers today. Are they from India? Other than Sadhguru, Ravi Shankar and a few others, look at where the rest of the enlightened beings are from. Where did they grow up in? Where did they become enlightened in? THE WEST.

@How to be wise Are you talking about the internet? Yes internet is full of western gurus but I live in India. I know many living gurus who have no existence on the internet. 

99% if what we in the west see as Enlighten masters are honestly not enlighten. They do know much, but they are not enlighten in the true form of enlightenment. Many spiritual leader or masters have moved to west to try to save the people here, that is true, But being a spiritual teacher does not in it self make them enlighten.

Edited by Amanaki

Let's not argue. Indian can learn a lot of self help from the west and the west can learn a lot of spirituality from India. ❤️

6 hours ago, Anirban657 said:

Let's not argue. Indian can learn a lot of self help from the west and the west can learn a lot of spirituality from India. ❤️

That may have been true in Ramana’s time, but not so today. Sorry about that. But a stage Red/Blue country could not compete with other Orange/Green countries. India is no longer the “land of spirituality”.

8 hours ago, How to be wise said:

That may have been true in Ramana’s time, but not so today. Sorry about that. But a stage Red/Blue country could not compete with other Orange/Green countries. India is no longer the “land of spirituality”.

@How to be wise Only one who has something to prove and has insecurities wants to compete.

Don't forget that a nation is a vast system where there are all kinds of people of different stages of development... Red,Blue,Orange,Green,Yellow, Turquoise... That's why India is called a diversity. It has so many varieties that the west can't understand. 

And if you want to really learn from experience then watching YouTube videos and reading books are not enough.. you need to go to a spiritual guru in India who are still in the disciplic tradition. If the west could really learn everything like university professors then the purpose of disciplic traditions would mean nothing... Have you ever read the Bhagavad-Gita As It Is? You may understand everything intellectually but without the guidance of a pure devotee of Lord Sri Krishna, you won't get very far let alone devotional service.

Edited by Anirban657

2 hours ago, Anirban657 said:

@How to be wise Only one who has something to prove and has insecurities wants to compete.

Don't forget that a nation is a vast system where there are all kinds of people of different stages of development... Red,Blue,Orange,Green,Yellow, Turquoise... That's why India is called a diversity. It has so many varieties that the west can't understand. 

And if you want to really learn from experience then watching YouTube videos and reading books are not enough.. you need to go to a spiritual guru in India who are still in the disciplic tradition. If the west could really learn everything like university professors then the purpose of disciplic traditions would mean nothing... Have you ever read the Bhagavad-Gita As It Is? You may understand everything intellectually but without the guidance of a pure devotee of Lord Sri Krishna, you won't get very far let alone devotional service.

No thanks.

@Goutam nimmakayala Most often it takes travelling, migration, and living for years in two very different parts of the world to fully understand things in life. Spiral Dynamics is one of them. Imagine applying it there and in the US. Unfortunately, most ppl, the vast majority, don't want to step outside their comfort zone. I heard there are only 60K ppl living in India from the US. They had the guts to stay there for yrs. They already know that India is the "biggest democracy in the world," and how that works. And, that's at a very, very, very basic level of understanding. Prime minister instead of president. Chief minister instead of governor. Networking for entrepreneurship and life purpose is awesome. Even PM Modi encourages it. Because of this, it's easier to get a white collar profession there. More affordable standard of living. So, it can be easier to go from middle to upper class there. Very recent currency change and a new state has formed -- Telegana.

As for spirituality/non-duality...

Sometimes, for example, what you're looking for in life to help you understand life and beyond isn't a teacher. At first, you may be looking for a teacher, but along the journey, a plant, for instance, may have turned out to be the biggest indication and pointer to something significant in your life.

11 hours ago, Key Elements said:

Most often it takes travelling, migration, and living for years in two very different parts of the world to fully understand things in life. Spiral Dynamics is one of them. Imagine applying it there and in the US. Unfortunately, most ppl, the vast majority, don't want to step outside their comfort zone. 

If I may piggy-back on Key a bit here. . . this is such a great point. Cultural immersion is one of the best methods to increase one’s consciousness. Living with local people in their homes. Doing laundry together, cooking together, learning their language and eating meals together. And as Keys often says, having real conversations with substance about who we are - our joys, hopes, loves, fears and life purpose. Building real human connection. Not checking out and pulling out phones to surf the internet and get lost in social media. 

IME, cultural immersion can take a person deeply into healthy Green. 

there are many cultures with deeply developed spirituality. for instance, egyptians and indigenous people.

i'd like to emphasize the indigenous people and their notion/direct experience of Union with Nature.

another thing: patriot pride is a heavily limiting form of ideological trap.

unborn Truth

An Indian here.

To understand General Relativity one doesn't have to learn about Germany, or Jewish culture, because Einstein was Jewish and German. Same applies to non-dual knowledge.  Calling it "indian-Nonduality" is the most unfortunate kind of oxymoron. If you understood nonduality such petty discriminations of east and west wont have any place in your psyche. 

And FYI, most indians dont meditate and they have no idea about nonduality. Most are involved in the bhakti-Hinduism which is no different from any other paganism. Sure there is whip of non-duality here and there but it is more like the relics of once great culture. So dont talk about how one has to learn indian culture to really understand Nonduality. Nothing can be farther from the truth. I lived in india for long, right in the cultural center, and all i saw was religion as usual. Religious gurus nothing different from western televangicals and religion nothing different from a set of rules to be followed with harry-potter-for-adults mythology. 

Edited by graded24

One thing I have to make clear of what I said. I'm not labeling the plant, The Brahma Kamal Flower, as a religion or a race. That's ridiculous! :D It's a plant--a flower, native to the Himalayan region of India. At first, I thought nothing of it. Everyone I knew there told me it's an auspicious flower. I was like, "Okay, cool." That was it--nothing more. But then, to my surprise, it turned out to be a pointer for me. Now, I doubt that the only pointers in life are man-made objects. It could go beyond stuff written in books, lectures, art, life purpose, etc.

Another thing, yes, it does work differently there. I never said that one country is better than the other. Again, that's ridiculous. Something working differently, like culture or a system doesn't mean one is better than the other. I'm talking about how does it work. And that's another thing. It's almost impossible to communicate what's going on with someone who has not traveled and stayed--"always comfortable in my own little well," says the frog living in fairy tale land hoping a princess will come and kiss him. :D It really does help to know how does complex systems / societies work rather than just assuming you know just cause you read a few books.

The plant has a Christian name--Star of Bethlehem, if you prefer to call it that. I'm not 100% sure. But, for me, it doesn't bother me what religious name it's called, whether or not it's Hindu or Christian. :D