Principium Nexus

Games that have inspired you!

29 posts in this topic

Hello forum members,

When I was younger I played a lot of Runescape; it is a massive online multiplayer game where you can do quests, fight monsters, do various skills, mini-games, etc, a big competitor at that time was World of Warcraft.

The game has given me so many fun hours (probably spent too much playing it), being immersed in this world medieval world with dragons and many other fantasy animals stimulated by imagination a lot. The game had this huge map with all kind of exotic terrains and sceneries where you could travel to and this urge to explore and see so the diversity of life in the world has stayed ever since.

Skill_pure_max_stats.png

One of the things has motivated me to learn everything was the variety of skills you could learn in the game. 

If you were doing quests in the game you had to have some required skill (level) and would use these to solve puzzles, gather food, combat and much more. Quests therefor were also my favorite activity in the game, they enabled me to get to locations others couldn't wear special armor and create new ways to earn in-game money and at last were lots of fun! This relationship of learning new skills and becoming really good at them and broadening the number of new quests I could do a discover even more was my insight that this doesn't only apply for the game called Runescape.

Real-life is really alike, quests can be seen as projects you want to do or job requirements or even skills to survive outdoor in the wild knowing how to fish or craft/build your own utilities or shelter.

I also saw that learning a wide variety of fields will enable me to connect the dots of how the big picture comes together and understand what is important in a certain niche to actually pursue. Learning a niche is nice, you will learn in-depth details how things work, but often you learn many things you will never apply or don't see direct application for.

Following this path of learning everything also put me onto the path of becoming a sage after I encountered @Leo Gura videos and forum. I feel a sense of fulfillment when helping others with my insight or understanding. I want to contribute to, create and discuss things in a valuable and knowledgeable manner.

Getting every "skill" in life to 99 will probably take more than a lifetime but the goal is set :) My main goals now are to learn and understand most of the mathematics so I can apply this in many things like probability and statistics, chemistry, physics, biology, computer science, art, philosophy, data analysis (big data to understand the growth of any system) and much more.

I found out that learning mathematics and then creating projects using computer science/programming can be a great and fun way to learn and build many small projects that will in the end greatly help you in understanding all these topics and their correlations.

Well, that was about it, how Runescape inspired me as a game till today. If you have any games that inspired you, as an artist, a developer, philosophical, whatever it might be, please share! Everyone likes a good game, which ones did leave you inspired or amazed the most.

Skyrim actually helped me a lot when I was pre-transition. I mean I was so depressed that I didn't want to do anything but play Warcraft 3, but I still played the Elder Scrolls games. It felt so empowering to be the other sex and literally lit such a fire under my ass to transition that I did all the steps in 2 years.

Other than that I still play too much Warcraft III. (Not 16 hours a day though...)

Knights of the Old Republic 2

That game was pivotal towards opening up my mind philosophically and realizing at a young age how grey the world is in terms of right, wrong, good, evil, etc. Low key would probably not have stumbled upon Leo’s work had I not caught the philosophy bug with that game haha. 

It has some hidden references to Taoism and stuff, especially Jak 3. Where Dark Eco made Daxter a precursor, yet precursors are the most powerful beings ever. (Loosely suggesting divinity in evil).

Now that I think of it... Not a horrible game even by our standards. Pretty watered down references, but they're there.

Also the health bar:

222.png

Edited by Talinn

I don’t consider myself a gamer, but Undertale is a special game for me. 
It was a very dramatic period of my life and I felt quite depressed, and it turned out to be my way of escaping. I really like all the lines throughout the game about being filled with determination.

@Talinn That game really something else. When i played that game, i was fully immersed in the adventure that Jak was undergoing. I would go over to my friends house and play it. He was 6 and i was 7 years old at the time. I can't even put into words how deeply i was connected to that game. I remember feeling deep waves of nostalgia as i grew into my teens. I would occasionally just sit and play through certain experiences in my head. AHHH!

Dark Jak is a great reference to the Shadow, and Light Jak is also a good indicator as to who we could become. 

Wish they would make a Jak 4, those Naughty Dogs... 

@Principium Nexus  I've played Runescape as well, since 03 and honestly I still do today.

I also tend to think of skills in real life as something you can "level up," and the only way you can really level these skills is having the direct experience. Same thing with Runescape, I need 83 exp to get from level 1 to level 2. In real life its like, I need to take more action in order to develop this skill. I won't really get to level 2 by listening to a whole bunch of theory. I won't get to level 2 by reading oldschool.runescape.wiki guides online. I have to actually DO IT. Kill the goblins. Do the quests. Sit there for hours training range, slayer, whatever tf it is, do it in order to develop the skills.

Another thing I love about RS is the grand exchange system. It sort of works like the stock market, and I've learned a lot about flipping with the grand exchange. Flipping on the GE is something I've been doing now for 2 years, and honestly I've sold a bit of gold doing so. RS paid for my transit bus pass one time when my money was low. Flipping is just so fun for me to do. It also lead me to flip some things IRL as well. So it definitely taught me a lot about that. You will go through some losses, and you will go through some profitable days.

I admit it though, its fun but it gets pretty distracting for me.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

Dark souls. Go play it.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@7thLetter Can you explain me a bit more what flipping is again?

Funny thing is that I'm professional trader too IRL, Runescape thought me how clans manipulate the market by buying up lots of inventory and then letting price rise while they dump on those other "clan mates" who think they will all be making money too.

Haven't really played RS in years so not sure if it's still possible.

the game who turned my life up & down and appear now in my mind without order

guild wars 1

minecraft

assassin's creed 2

pokemon

& skyrim

I pretty much played everything at the official release.

Edited by Strikr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e

None that really influenced me, but sure gives new perspectives, new experiences , feelings that come with getting drown into their world.

World of Warcraft for the sacred geometry it has and the music. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@Principium Nexus Flipping is basically just buying an item at a low price and selling it at a higher price for a profit.

In RS you buy multiple of a specific item at the lowest price people are willing to sell at then once you get them you just sell them at the highest price people are willing to pay at. Its like looking at the bid/ask and the spread when trading the financial markets.

Cool, what market you trade in? I trade Forex but I still consider myself a beginner after several months.

Sounds like you’re explaining a pump and dump but on RS. I actually haven’t seen that before on RS, I don’t join those clans, but I’ve definitely got involved in one of those in the cryptocurrency market and lost some money. Although I joined one of those clans once and they tell you that a specific rare will insta-buy at 83M for example and when you buy it, they probably made a profit.

There definitely still is a lot of manipulation going on today on the RS market, I still see a lot. Honestly, when will manipulation ever stop in any financial markets? Probably never, or maybe in a trillion years who knows.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@7thLetter I do trade cryptocurrencies, commodities and now also some forex & stocks. Cryptocurrencies are very volatile and non-regulated if you trade them only use what you can afford to lose, especially altcoins that are less known and have lower liquidity and easily manipulated by "news".

I made a good buck trading and buying early 2017, value has dropped a bit but overall have been able to keep my earnings versus people who lost the majority, which is probably the most essential part of trading (how to keep it).

Crypto is at the moment not the best place to be in, only if there is a strong reversal in this bear trend I would buy a deep dip when conditions are fully oversold with decent stop-loss.

Stocks don't look extremely good either but I do expect them to make a nice bull trap before entering a longterm bear market 2019-2020, especially Amazon is a bit oversold, people are panicking and the dollar index is rising (hoarding USD). There will be a tipping point where people will start to invest in longterm primary goods that will "keep them safe", fueling a sudden rise in online buying again (Amazon will profit from this), the economy will get worse, especially luxury goods and services will suffer. Investing in anything that focuses on off-grid, self-independence, primary needs will be a good business.

It will be good to look for DXY to top and reverse, some hindsight clues are bearish divergences, USDTRY might be an interesting pair to trade since it has had a very volatile move and is likely to retest some highs, just be careful with leverage.

Chess is a cool game.  There's a reason it's survived as long as it has.  I'm pretty good at Chess, but I get easily butthurt when I make a stupid move that I should have noticed was a stupid move.  It's like, "How the f*ck could I have not seen that!"  But, yeah, I play a little bit of Chess.  I play like a game a week.  Sometimes I'll play the computer, sometimes I'll play a friend.  Ubuntu Linux has a pretty cool free Chess program that comes already installed with the OS. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Principium Nexus I agree with the fact that keeping your profits is the most essential part of trading. It really is a psychological issue for people to not be able to keep their profits. I can say so myself because I’ve had a hard time keeping my profits in the cryptocurrency market last year. Was up a couple thousand from NEO, but it was out of pure speculation. I bought into the hype.  Then out of greed I wanted more, and just left my money in the market. Then obviously December came along.

Definitely learned a lot out of that, and I’m learning to be a lot more careful with my money. I’ve just always have been the type to make impulsive purchases but now I’m just being more aware of my spending habits and slowing it down, especially with my trades. One thing that self-actualization has helped me with is leaning away from society and all the social norms, and living a life of minimalism. Which has lead me to not buy almost anything. Don’t need new clothes or any of that. I work, gym, go home, repeat. Saves me a lot of money. Now I have the money to put into my investments. Only recent impulsive buys I’ve made recently were some items I bought on Black Friday. But they’re not purchases for me to enjoy, they’re just purchases for me to flip and make some profit on. I see my profits being at least 10-20% per item. Holding onto them for a bit, probably til mid December since there definitely will be a ton of competitors on the market selling the same exact thing.

Currently not in the Crypto or Stock market. Crypto for sure isn’t looking too good right now. I’m looking to get into the Stock market at one point but during a 10+ year bull market probably isn’t a good time to start to get in.

I’m curious, what are you saying about online buying, Amazon, and the economy? I’m just getting into Amazon FBA at the moment as an Amazon seller in 2019 and was wondering if I would be heavily affected by any market crashes, or if the economy got worse? I’m still in my early 20s so I obviously haven’t really lived through something like the great depression or anything similar to that so I don’t fully understand how a bad economy affects certain things. Definitely going to go and learn some more about the history of economic crashes.