Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Torch

Ways to motivate yourself?

8 posts in this topic

My biggest problem with self actualization is doing the actual practices. I didn't have much of a problem with learning about enlightenment and self actualization but using these techniques consistently is where I fail because of lack of motivation. Any advice on how to motivate yourself?

You're probably tired of hearing it, but try to have a really strong psychadelic experience if you can. It will give you a glimpse of what there is to achieve, and give you a new perspective on all sorts of stuff you never could have even imagined in your current state. 

Edited by ZZZZ

I can't tell you how to motivate yourself-the way I see it is this is an internal process, it's like asking how do I go about breathing. When you see how much your life changes based off the steps you are taking your motivation will compound. Having some sort of vision and purpose that is aligned with your higher self will also motivate you. Motivation to me is rather shallow-it is something that comes and goes depending on your emotional structure. Being passionate about something allows motivation to occur naturally. Also, pain is a great motivator. 

1 hour ago, Equanimitize said:

Also, pain is a great motivator. 

I would honestly leave it at this in your case @Torch. Start to really suffer and have your motivations really start to fall apart and then you’ll realize how urgent this call is. Have a midlife or existential crisis. Stop taking your life for granted. Contemplate your death. It’s one thing to theorize and be stuck in your head where you’re at. It’s another thing to REALLY start to see how much of a sham your everyday is and always has been. Start looking at other people and see what they got and realize you’re not that different from them and that if you don’t you’ll have what they have by default. Realize you’ve been living a lie. 

Don’t take this to some neurotic degree but I can honestly tell you, as someone whose at that point where I now see how much my life has been a lie and that most of my desires, thoughts, cravings, etc. probably aren’t even mine. I really think suffering REALLY grounds people. I’ve suffered a lot in my life and I think where I’ve been fortunate in my suffering is that I sought to be within myself in those times of suffering. When you go through real hard times you see how quickly the people you thought were your friends actually weren’t. You see the people you thought loved you unconditionally actually don’t. Not because you’re a bad person or because they’re assholes. This is doubled edged sword because people can become really neurotic, dysfunctional, total victims and in danger to themselves (in the suicidal way) but I see a lot of people who’ve taken a lot of their life for granted. They haven’t actually really suffered and faced real existential crisis and haven’t been in that place where they’re desperate for something real and genuine. Being stripped of everything really can teach and show you something powerful. Just don’t take it over the top. 

Also recognize your own suffering that you’re hiding from yourself. 

@Torch

How are you benefiting by not being motivated? And don't say you're not.

23 hours ago, ZZZZ said:

You're probably tired of hearing it, but try to have a really strong psychadelic experience if you can. It will give you a glimpse of what there is to achieve, and give you a new perspective on all sorts of stuff you never could have even imagined in your current state. 

I'd do it if I could but it's not a possible thing right now.

20 hours ago, aurum said:

@Torch

How are you benefiting by not being motivated? And don't say you're not.

My lack of motivation helps keep me the same way that I've been throughout my life. I won't go through the pain of growing myself and changing and I get to stay in my comfort zone. 

23 hours ago, Equanimitize said:

Motivation to me is rather shallow-it is something that comes and goes depending on your emotional structure. Being passionate about something allows motivation to occur naturally. 

Yeah and I suppose that taking the life purpose course to find something to be passionate about is something I should do. Forcing motivation is tiring. 

@Torch Well, you’re in the right place to get where it is you want to go. Keep chipping away my friend. ✌️