Manjushri

Am I funding murder if I eat meat? Am I a shit human if I don't live a 0 waste.......

9 posts in this topic

sustainable frugal life etc. using plastic bags etc. 

what do i do

You are funding the slaughter of animals when you buy meat, yes. In a relative sense, this is no different than murder or genocide of humans. The difference is that it is socially acceptable form. 

5 hours ago, Gligorije said:

sustainable frugal life etc. using plastic bags etc. 

what do i do

The earth sounds like it could use help in the environmental department.  That said, don't try to just live off water and use nothing unless you feel like its what you want to do.  I made the choice to go 25% meat from humane sources and 75% vegi mostly organic.  I try to recycle mostly and not buy things I really really dont need.  I figure if the world did this, we would be in a much healthier place, so I feel good with this line of choice.  Just dont get neurotic about it.

Murder is typically a word to evoke an emotional response in response to human murder, it is a non-central fallacy to use it for non-human murder. You are supporting the killing of animals by purchasing meat. If you eat meat that's thrown in the trash you aren't. But somewhere down the line you probably will be seen as supporting meat by eating it even if it's thrown out, so it's best to just do the simple thing, and if you chose to avoid supporting the killing of animals by not eating animals.

Meat is very nutritionally dense, so as you exclude meat you just need to supplement B12 and get enough protein and fat from other foods, like beans, nuts and seeds. For protein and fat, respectively. Most humans need to supplement DHA and vitamin D3 irrespective of diet, except DHA for fish eaters. An algae based supplement is adequate for that.

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes. A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat (including fowl) or seafood, or products containing those foods.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864/

@Consilience Okay. But then, if I stop eating meat, I don't make a change whatsoever... Unless I am a Kantist (deontological) then I must stop it because i should act so that i can want that the maxim of my will can also be a general law. 

I'm not going to bring down the industry, so what do? 

I'm in a dilemma here.