NJF

Life purpose doubt question

9 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!

I just have a doubt question about life purpose choice making. I was curious if there are perhaps people who have gone through the same and have some interesting advice.

My situation is that I'm 41 and  I've made my job out of my young kids dream, which is amazing. I'm a pro athlete in a sport that I can do till I'm 50 competitively, so I've been doing it for 30 years already and have another 9 years potentially...It feels a lot like I'm a little burned out by it, but that's also because of the way the tournaments work. Over the years you get more careful from bad losses, play the percentages more etc and you loose touch of the young boy that started with fire and passion. So I still feel I have this for the game, but I would have to change my style to bring this out more otherwise it feels like work more and more, if it makes sense.

On the other side however my desire for electronic music making has gotten stronger and stronger over the years and I'm also bringing out tracks regularly, but not breaking through yet. I also have a very strong passion for this in combination with dj-ing which would be the dream: Break through with producing tracks and then build a name and start dj-ing from there. I have been dj-ing since I was 18 and the house music has always been a big passion.

So when I'm doing the life purpose course and I'm around the Zone of Genius chapter(66) and have to choose just ONE thing to go for, I just simply can't do it....Because I still have the fire of the young boy inside of me for my work, but also the new fire and passion for the music. Plus after reading the "So good they can't ignore you" book, it just seems so crazy to drop everything I build up(rankings, sponsors, income) and just say ok no income now with wife and 2 young kids and work at it for 5 years with a chance to loose all my savings.

Hope you can understand the doubt and frustration. 

I was wondering if fellow readers have experienced this and how their decision turned out. 

Thank you!

I think you want to have a purpose that doesn't have a timer on it, even if it's still a 9 years remote timer. Maybe you could think of it as the old purpose slowly going and the new purpose slowly coming, although you're not yet ready to transition?

I've never been in the same situation as you, so I can't really give you advices unfortunately. But I like your story a lot, so I'm bumping the thread to give you more visibility.

I only wish you the best :)

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

Let's say that you are absolutely certain that this is your true calling and are ready to start transitioning. It would still be foolish to drop everything and try to figure out how to become a DJ or a music composer although I am sure @Dan Arnautu will have some tips for you on how to do that should you decide that this is the area you wish to pursue. 

What i'd say is first of all really....like really!!! make sure that this is your true calling. You are still in good age to make such change even though you have kids and wife relying on you. Don't go making hasty decisions, abandoning your cash cow and trying to "find yourself"

Once you are certain, start making small initial steps in your free time but keep your current sports career. Use your evenings after family is asleep or early morning to hone the skills you need, read books, watch lectures, attend seminars whatever you need to do. I think there are even DJ schools these days in some cities, perhaps they offer distance learning.,.again, whatever you do, don't go abandoning your sports career just yet. 

It may take you next 5 years to be ready to transition. I am in the same boat trying to shovel my way out of the corporate career but so far it is earning my living so I am using available time in mornings and weekends to study towards my true LP. 

Arm yourself with patience but identify some actions that you will do every single day. Identify one key step this year before the end of this month that will be your initial rebound point. Perhaps it will be signing up for a DJ course in 2019 or getting a certificate of some sort. 

Best of luck and don't give up on yourself !

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@NJF What I would do in your place is the following:

I would find a really successful DJ and shadow him for a day or ask him a lot of questions about the life of a DJ and about my concerns. That way, I would know if it would fit with my strengths, values, goals, life circumstance etc. Another way is to make small bets (which is covered in the LP course) to see if you would really love to do music more than what you are doing as a pro athlete.

Secondly, I wouldn't quit the job because it has way too much momentum and maybe your music skills aren't developed enough yet to be able to afford the leap.

I would instead slowly find a way to transition from the current job to music with zero friction.

But, if you want to make a drastic decision, do so at your own peril. In my experience, it almost never works out. Although, this especially applies to artists, because there is no way you are gonna put out quality music or content if you are gonna be worried about money and your family.

@Michael569's advice is also solid.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

I concur. Take your time and approach it with strategy. I've rushed into things before and regretted it. I wish I would have eased into my path. It would have been much less stressful and more enjoyable along the way.

Hi Guys and Ladies!! 

Sorry for the late reply!! I didn't get any mails about replies so after a few days I thought I was the only one with this and stopped checking in. Bit too early I just find out!! 

Thank you all for your input and time! I've carefully looked into your answers and fully understand your advice. 

Thanks again and good luck to everybody!!! :)

I went from Computer Programing to Massage Therapist. It is a drastic change. Take your time thinking about it and contemplating. Don't change anything now, contemplate about it at least for a year, also try to read and do all what the other fellow actualizer are telling you.

I would say that you SHOULD seek another LP because sports are taxing to the body and it expires. I don't know about you but if you are good in what are you doing try coaching, or trainer in your sport. Maybe you can change positions within your own strength. If you need confidence or language skills build that too.

Hope you the best and yes you can transition but slowly and smart. 

Tnx!

Have been contemplating for almost 2 years already. That's why it is sometimes quite frustrating and therefore I decided to drop a text here in the forum :) 

Luckily its a focus sport(like to keep it anonymous) so my body will be able to do it for another decade atleast. At the end of the day, like everybody here also says, it's not wise to drop everything and maybe sleep under a bridge in 2 years. Better keep investing some time daily and enjoy the ride I guess even though sometimes I feel impatient.

That being said, I wonder also from a curious mind point of view how much the producing is "addictive" in a way and if that also blurs the vision somewhat. I believe nowadays that "Dopamine" has a huge impact on our behavior. That 's why I don't have any notifications and very minimal social media. Just don't want that disturbance in my life, no judgement to others. So I'm also trying to figure out if the fun/boost/excitement/drive/pull towards producing tracks is 100% pure or also (over)influenced by dopamine and has a slightly behavioral addiction to it....if that makes sense. 

Greets!